Prediction Do you believe the AFL will ever be the same again?

Will the AFL ever be the same again?

• Yes, it will return more or less as it left. The same 18 clubs, massive footy depts, later this year

Votes: 51 11.3%
  • Yes, it will return more or less as it left, HOWEVER not until 2021 or beyond.

Votes: 121 26.8%
  • Maybe. I can see it going either way. Not confident in my guess.

Votes: 39 8.6%
  • Kinda, it will return with the same clubs, but smaller footy depts, salaries, etc.

Votes: 111 24.6%
  • Kinda, it will return with most of the same clubs, maybe some won't come back.

Votes: 46 10.2%
  • No, several clubs are effectively finished, Gil will use the corona excuse for 'rationalisation'.

Votes: 53 11.7%
  • No, the AFL itself will go under, a new legal entity will eventually emerge but the old clubs won't.

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Hell no, we might not even see pro football in this country again, the pandemic will WiPe OuT MiLlIo

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • I'm not going to vote properly, so please put my vote here, where it does not skew the results.

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • I'm also not going to vote properly but I want a second dummy option.

Votes: 18 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Some people here seem to think that after a few months away, the AFL will come back later this year, pretty much as we know it.

18 clubs, about 600 or 700 professional players, massive football departments, you name it.

Other seem to think that the AFL will never be the same again. After all, no games = no money = bankruptcy. Just a matter of time.

If the AFL was happy to use the virus as an excuse to do something they have long wanted to do (shorter quarters), why won't they do it again?

So without slanting the thread by posting now what I believe is going to happen from here, I want to ask you:

As of March 2020, at the end of Round 1, what do you think the AFL will look like the next time we see professional Aussie Rules being played?

Do you foresee 18 clubs as we know them today? Or something rather different?

The poll closes one week from now. Let's discuss.

The immediate future for the world is under a cloud. In relation to AFL, the economic downturn could be catastrophic. I'm thinking Any club in debt or relying on the AFL now is basically finished. The AFL is going to lose hundreds of millions potentially in 2020. This is a watershed year, a seminal moment. Congrats to Richmond for winning perhaps the last AFL Premiership.

a440d5b6f52a170b59025e35b720b537.jpg

Also if I am right I have no idea what is going to happen with player contracts as technically players are contracted to the AFL, not their clubs, so if the AFL goes belly up then every AFL contract will be null and void, so while majority of clubs will be back in 2021 I think there is a real chance each clubs list will be vastly different as it is like every player all at once becoming an unrestricted free agent.

The immediate future for the world is under a cloud. In relation to AFL, the economic downturn could be catastrophic. I'm thinking Any club in debt or relying on the AFL now is basically finished. The AFL is going to lose hundreds of millions potentially in 2020. This is a watershed year, a seminal moment. Congrats to Richmond for winning perhaps the last AFL Premiership.

basically finished .... meaning what, no club structure left, all assets sold, club has adminstrator appointed, liquidation, struck off/cancelled. Stadium agreements voided.

A Kerry Packer style investor sets up a national body, goes again with a national comp in association with a media company, attracting the best of the players in amateur footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there's certainly a very strong chance that the AFL, as we have all known it and watched it grow into, could be headed for a whole world of strife, yes.
I think it's certainly inevitable that there will be financial casualties.
Quite the extent and who/what this maybe is impossible to determine at this time.
I also hold grave fears for the levels of the code below the AFL from State Leagues, to suburban/amateur and country leagues.

If the financial implications of what this disaster brings comes to fruition, the flow on effects for not only big business but small business as well is likely to have huge consequences for clubs and leagues relying on sponsorship to stay afloat.
I've personally witnessed first hand, the effects of what an eight year recession had on Tasmanian football and its leagues and clubs. It's not pretty.

Gina Rinehart is an Iron Ore magnate. WA does not export much coal at all, its main commodities are Iron Ore and Gold.
She does own a lot of coal leases in the east though. Thankfully she has never shown any interest in footy or any other sport for that matter.

She does own a lot of coal leases in the east though. Thankfully she has never shown any interest in footy or any other sport for that matter.

What more do you know about Ms Rinehart?
20160728-gqfm5b

Mining billionaire Gina Rinehart has quietly become the biggest individual financial supporter of Australia's Olympic efforts as the team heads to Rio de Janeiro for next week's Games.

Rinehart has emerged as a sponsor of four Olympic sports, putting in an estimated $5 million annually – more than any other individual and more than most corporate backers.

She likes swimming, and is oz's biggest personal taxpayer iirc. Something we are going to need in the present climate?
WA doesn't export any coal, and its biggest exports are iron ore and lng, gold down the pecking order.
And the AFL is in serious s**t, at least 4 clubs could go in this rationalisation imo

Back