Prediction Do you believe the AFL will ever be the same again?

Will the AFL ever be the same again?

• Yes, it will return more or less as it left. The same 18 clubs, massive footy depts, later this year

Votes: 51 11.3%
  • Yes, it will return more or less as it left, HOWEVER not until 2021 or beyond.

Votes: 121 26.8%
  • Maybe. I can see it going either way. Not confident in my guess.

Votes: 39 8.6%
  • Kinda, it will return with the same clubs, but smaller footy depts, salaries, etc.

Votes: 111 24.6%
  • Kinda, it will return with most of the same clubs, maybe some won't come back.

Votes: 46 10.2%
  • No, several clubs are effectively finished, Gil will use the corona excuse for 'rationalisation'.

Votes: 53 11.7%
  • No, the AFL itself will go under, a new legal entity will eventually emerge but the old clubs won't.

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Hell no, we might not even see pro football in this country again, the pandemic will WiPe OuT MiLlIo

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • I'm not going to vote properly, so please put my vote here, where it does not skew the results.

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • I'm also not going to vote properly but I want a second dummy option.

Votes: 18 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle are an economic club, but I feel like killing them off would have far less of an effect than deleting the Melbourne Football Club from the AFL.

there are intangibles at stake, things like confidence and brand loyalty come in if you want to be all commercial.

like why would you merge St Kilda and the Suns? they have nothing in common, clubs who have things in common are quite often prime rivals. no self-respecting Saints fan is going to support a watered down version of their team playing in a town full of water parks. and Queensland people, the weird provincials they are, are going to see the entity as some failed Victorian team.

take out the Kangaroos or Bulldogs and I could not tell you the insurmountable effect it would have on the competition. people would be angry. not just supporters of those clubs.

I think it might be time to spend a little time outside outside of Victoria, my friend, to get a little perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Do those VFL clubs that are propped up financially every year have any more right than a Norwood to be in a national competition? I think the answer to that is they don't. The whole set-up of the national competition is flawed and does not reflect the history or contribution to the game made by the SANFL and the WAFL. These two states only have the same number of teams as QLD and NSW, those contribution to the game by comparison is minimal.
And Tasmania.

The shorter the layoff, the less change.
i think now, the league will build a panic fund for any cancellations.
it is also a wakeup call for the flattening or decrease in TV rights.
keeping a relatively high percentage of income from attendances will help that.
the sports dependent on TV will be more exposed.

I still can't see how they are going to play again this year, which drastically changes the equation of the financial viability of the 18 clubs.

The NSW Police Commissioner said that social isolation rules will be in force for 90 days minimum. That takes us up to the end of June.

Western Australia has now closed its borders.

Now, let's say both states ease those restrictions come early July. That doesn't take into account what other states are doing and let's be honest everyone has their own agenda here.

July is the peak of winter so there is not a hope in hell they are going to let sport recommence then especially with flu season at its peak and you can pretty much guarantee that players won't be allowed to train together. There will still be strict rules in place regarding social gathering and proximity of people.

So, best case scenario is that in August the players can start training again with a potential start in September.

The players won't be able to do more than one block of three games in two weeks as it will be too taxing on their bodies combined with flight restrictions etc.

If we are lucky we might see a 12-game season but that is almost pointless. Trying to play football in December won't happen as the sports calendar will be crowded and most grounds unavailable due to cricket.

Frankly, I just don't see AFL being played again this year. I hope I am wrong.

No one in their right mind would have designed a national comp to look like it does at the moment, so this current crisis might offer up to the AFL a golden chance to reorganise the league into something that makes more sense. A crisitunity, as Homer Simpson once put it.

Of course, this all depends on how long the crisis runs for.

I still can't see how they are going to play again this year, which drastically changes the equation of the financial viability of the 18 clubs.

The NSW Police Commissioner said that social isolation rules will be in force for 90 days minimum. That takes us up to the end of June.

Western Australia has now closed its borders.

Now, let's say both states ease those restrictions come early July. That doesn't take into account what other states are doing and let's be honest everyone has their own agenda here.

July is the peak of winter so there is not a hope in hell they are going to let sport recommence then especially with flu season at its peak and you can pretty much guarantee that players won't be allowed to train together. There will still be strict rules in place regarding social gathering and proximity of people.

So, best case scenario is that in August the players can start training again with a potential start in September.

The players won't be able to do more than one block of three games in two weeks as it will be too taxing on their bodies combined with flight restrictions etc.

If we are lucky we might see a 12-game season but that is almost pointless. Trying to play football in December won't happen as the sports calendar will be crowded and most grounds unavailable due to cricket.

Frankly, I just don't see AFL being played again this year. I hope I am wrong.
If they can start mid August they should be able to fit in a 17 round season and be done by Xmas. 5 games a month and one with 6 isn’t that much when game time is dropped by 20% plus you have more then enough players on a list to manage the workload. It may mean Brisbane have to play a couple of games on the GC, more games at marvel, more games in Geelong, Perth and Adelaide sides may have to play extra home games much earlier in the season and The Swans play at the Giants stadium ect but nothing that can’t be worked out providing they can get on the park in four months.

Really, the way to isolate the finals from the home and away inequity is to play the first week of finals as two leg - home and away.

Its not really a traditional AFL footy concept, but neither is a 'wildcard round'

Having the final 8 teams play home and away for the first 'week' of finals would be much better entertainment than those finishing 7-10 playing off (lets face it they are also rans anyway)

Really, the way to isolate the finals from the home and away inequity is to play the first week of finals as two leg - home and away.

Having the final 8 teams play home and away for the first 'week' of finals would be much better entertainment than those finishing 7-10 playing off (lets face it they are also rans anyway)
That nullifies the home ground advantage for the team finishing higher.

What is the advantage of finishing 1st over 4th if you then play home and away?

Some folks are trying to reinvent the wheel for the sake of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That nullifies the home ground advantage for the team finishing higher.

What is the advantage of finishing 1st over 4th if you then play home and away?

Some folks are trying to reinvent the wheel for the sake of it.

my point, is the team finishing higher could well be that because the uneven draw worked out well for them
Anyway now the premiers aren’t often the top team after home and away, it’s often second or third

I did think of that at the time of posting and it's a fair point. I don't know how it gets resolved outside of what is happening now, with an AFL club playing 4 games a year.
Harking back to your post that I quoted, I do agree that in comparison SA and WA of course overshadow NSW & Qld in terms of contributions to the game and national competition.

But, let's not overlook the fact that the game has existed in both NSW & Qld for a long time, so they are not complete backwaters in my opinion. For that reason, I still think these states deserve AFL sides.

I can certainly see the argument though that each state only needs one side and not two if anyone wants to make that. But two clubs in each state we now have, and I guess it will be hard to roll back from that.

I can't really speak for Qld, but I have lived in NSW since 83 (having moved from a "football state", Tassie). When I came here, you got one game of footy each week on TV and that was about it. There was no radio coverage, no magazine type TV shows, **** all coverage in the papers, pretty much nothing. I had to rely on the Monday Australian (for national scores) and Inside Football (for news) to keep track of what was happening in fact.

Plus the game was derided here. I copped crap pretty much wherever I went in Western Sydney (a Rugby League stronghold) if I said I was an AFL supporter.

Go forward to today, and it's all different. There's plenty of coverage (TV, radio, press & the internet of course) and - most importantly - the game has been far more accepted. The days of getting threatened in the pub for selling raffle tickets for your local footy club (here in Penrith - which happened to me) have long gone.

For all the criticism of the AFL (I'm happy to often be one of those critics) they have been successful in turning around the profile of the game here in Sydney, at the very least. Of course the Rugby League "war", coinciding with Sydney's making the Grand Final in 1996, were very fortuitous in helping too.

The other thing to remember is that the game has had a presence here in Sydney at least going back to 1880, when the first association was formed. That ended up falling over and reformed in 1903. In fact, if the Sydney AFL season doesn't go ahead this year (which is a possibility), it will be the first year since 1903 that the Sydney AFL hasn't gone ahead - it's been continuous to date (including both World Wars).

The reason that Rugby League took over and Australian Football fell behind was pretty much due to politics and mismanagement at the time. (It's worth remembering that 1880, mentioned above, was around 25 years before the game of Rugby League even came into being).

Anyway, having lived here for a long time, it does frustrate me that people living in "football states" seem to diminish the game in NSW to some extent. It's a shame they don't delve a little deeper and look into the history of it all. There's no doubt that the game of Aussie Rules has far more presence, history and prominence in NSW & Qld than Rugby League does in footy states.

I'm in Penrith, and we have had a club here for 40 years. Other clubs have been in the west of Sydney (Rugby League territory) for similar lengths of time - Camden, Campbelltown, Parramatta and Nor-West Jets (Hawkesbury). Plus there is a club based in Liverpool which goes back way further. These are the tough areas to run clubs (particularly now with the reduction of services personnel out here in the west), other clubs closer to the city/northern beaches/shire tend to find attracting talent to be far easier (expats gravitate toward these areas, not the west + they have far more success in getting juniors to play the game than out in the west).

Anyway, if you are interested, here are a couple of resources for you to read about the game in Sydney:

This is a big document, but you can pick out the pieces you want to read (particularly the early days) from the index at the front:

Cheers.

Last edited:
Freo/WC supporters, what’s with the obsession over the culling of Victorian teams? I’m from WA myself and don’t get the obsession you have. TIA.

Victorian supporters, what's the obsession with not culling Victorian teams that continually underperformer in the good times?

Why not take this opportunity to build stronger AFL clubs nationally, grow the AFLW and invest more money at local states level in VFL, WAFL, SANFL, NEAFL, etc

Melbourne? Their supporters wont even travel to Marvel and they have 10,000 freeloaders at the MCG. St Kilda? Cost the competition like 20 million a year ?? How do they grow the game? North? - great club but have never been able to consolidate a large following after premiership success.

Look I genuinely hope they survive - but time is running out, they have been at it for like 100years. They need to build profitable businesses - today (As do we)

Victorian supporters, what's the obsession with not culling Victorian teams that continually underperformer in the good times?

Why not take this opportunity to build stronger AFL clubs nationally, grow the AFLW and invest more money at local states level in VFL, WAFL, SANFL, NEAFL, etc

Melbourne? Their supporters wont even travel to Marvel and they have 10,000 freeloaders at the MCG. St Kilda? Cost the competition like 20 million a year ?? How do they grow the game? North? - great club but have never been able to consolidate a large following after premiership success.

Look I genuinely hope they survive - but time is running out, they have been at it for like 100years. They need to build profitable businesses - today (As do we)
Many Victorians still need to get their head around the concept that this is an Australian game and not a Victorian one.

Ie, Victoria doesn't own the game, the country does.

See my post above about the game in Sydney. Plus the fact that my love of the game developed growing up in Tassie.

Last edited:
Ch. 9 WWOS C. Wilson 16.3

"The AFL is on the verge of extending its current TV rights deal for 2 years...The AFL receives $418m per year, and according to Wilson, the same agreement (@ $418m pa- my words) will now continue to 2024".

"I will be announced in months, possibly 1 month" said Wilson, a multi-award winning & very experienced journalist.

Harking back to your post that I quoted, I do agree that in comparison SA and WA of course overshadow NSW & Qld in terms of contributions to the game and national competition.

But, let's not overlook the fact that the game has existed in both NSW & Qld for a long time, so they are not complete backwaters in my opinion. For that reason, I still think these states deserve AFL sides.

I can certainly see the argument though that each state only needs one side and not two if anyone wants to make that. But two clubs in each state we now have, and I guess it will be hard to roll back from that.

I can't really speak for Qld, but I have lived in NSW since 83 (having moved from a "football state", Tassie). When I came here, you got one game of footy each week on TV and that was about it. There was no radio coverage, no magazine type TV shows, **** all coverage in the papers, pretty much nothing. I had to rely on the Monday Australian (for national scores) and Inside Football (for news) to keep track of what was happening in fact.

Plus the game was derided here. I copped crap pretty much wherever I went in Western Sydney (a Rugby League stronghold) if I said I was an AFL supporter.

Go forward to today, and it's all different. There's plenty of coverage (TV, radio, press & the internet of course) and - most importantly - the game has been far more accepted. The days of getting threatened in the pub for selling raffle tickets for your local footy club (here in Penrith - which happened to me) have long gone.

For all the criticism of the AFL (I'm happy to often be one of those critics) they have been successful in turning around the profile of the game here in Sydney, at the very least. Of course the Rugby League "war", coinciding with Sydney's making the Grand Final in 1996, were very fortuitous in helping too.

The other thing to remember is that the game has had a presence here in Sydney at least going back to 1880, when the first association was formed. That ended up falling over and reformed in 1903. In fact, if the Sydney AFL season doesn't go ahead this year (which is a possibility), it will be the first year since 1903 that the Sydney AFL hasn't gone ahead - it's been continuous to date (including both World Wars).

The reason that Rugby League took over and Australian Football fell behind was pretty much due to politics and mismanagement at the time. (It's worth remembering that 1880, mentioned above, was around 25 years before the game of Rugby League even came into being).

Anyway, having lived here for a long time, it does frustrate me that people living in "football states" seem to diminish the game in NSW to some extent. It's a shame they don't delve a little deeper and look into the history of it all. There's no doubt that the game of Aussie Rules has far more presence, history and prominence in NSW & Qld than Rugby League does in footy states.

I'm in Penrith, and we have had a club here for 40 years. Other clubs have been in the west of Sydney (Rugby League territory) for similar lengths of time - Camden, Campbelltown, Parramatta and Nor-West Jets (Hawkesbury). Plus there is a club based in Liverpool which goes back way further. These are the tough areas to run clubs (particularly now with the reduction of services personnel out here in the west), other clubs closer to the city/northern beaches/shire tend to find attracting talent to be far easier (expats gravitate toward these areas, not the west + they have far more success in getting juniors to play the game than out in the west).

Anyway, if you are interested, here are a couple of resources for you to read about the game in Sydney:

This is a big document, but you can pick out the pieces you want to read (particularly the early days) from the index at the front:

Cheers.

My own view is that they should not have rolled out second sides into Queensland and NSW, both AFL franchises that are currently being subsidised to the tune of $25 million a season, without addressing the Tasmanian situation and the stronger case of a third WA side (based on population and financial strength).

GWS and GCS were always a massive over-reach, even more so now in financially parlous times, and say as much about the massive egos of many of the AFL admnistrators as anything. Were feasibility reports conducted on the viability of these two clubs and was that provided to the 16 AFL presidents for consideration? Was the impact of introducing these two sides considered in relation to the harm they have done to the competition over the last 10 years that has resulted in lopsided games (blow outs are the exact opposite of what the AFL has been attempting to engineer via the draft and salary cap); the continued assistance via the draft and list size which even into 9 years of being in the AFL are still in place for GCS; the overly generous zone provided to GWS in AFL heartland territory contrasts with that of every other club; the mismanagement of much of the young talent funnelled into the franchise clubs, as was the case with Jaegar O'Meara and his injuries (if you were a talented young player why would you want to play for plastic AFL franchise).

Anyway, I think there are valid questions that should be asked as to why the AFL did not implement a proper national competition rather than one that was about protecting financially weakest VFL clubs and caving into every request of their television partners. The next few months should tell us a lot more about the current viability of the AFL's model of a national competition.

You have to remember these smaller clubs make money for the other bigger Vic clubs simply by having more derby’s. the game would lose millions from losing these clubs (especially the bigger Vic clubs), they paid for the very stadium that guarantees the survival of all teams including yours that would be most likely gone or never existed without it, other Victorian clubs would get much worse stadium deals and become less profitable without these smaller clubs.

Ch. 9 WWOS C. Wilson 16.3

"The AFL is on the verge of extending its current TV rights deal for 2 years...The AFL receives $418m per year, and according to Wilson, the same agreement (@ $418m pa- my words) will now continue to 2024".

"I will be announced in months, possibly 1 month" said Wilson, a multi-award winning & very experienced journalist.

16 March is a lifetime ago!

Back