Do You Count VFA Flags? (Victorian supporters only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 10, 2004
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Derby County FC
Just to all vic supporters do you count VFA flags prior 1897 as major achievements in your clubs history, do you think they are equal to VFL flags won after 1897? I think that VFL flags prior to 1897 should be counted.

Discuss

From what i know the Brisbane Lions don't count Fitzroys premierships in the VFL so i dont see why Geelong or any other team should count VFA premierships.

Only if I were like those fans that think any flag in any competition is noteworthy and worth as much as a VFL/AFL flag.

I think from memory we'd have 9 if we did. Dunno really.

From what i know the Brisbane Lions don't count Fitzroys premierships in the VFL so i dont see why Geelong or any other team should count VFA premierships.

I don't think they count Brisbane Bears flag's either. :eek:

VFA flags are for waving, that's about it. I have a few flags at home that are worth as much as a VFA flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no definatley not, you have to remember the VFL was formed from 8 break away clubs that left the VFA because of how it was run.

I think he may have meant when the VFA was the premier competition

In 1924, Footscray (VFA Premiers) played Essendon (VFL Premiers) for the Victorian championships, the doggies pumped them.

So you cant definately say which one was the premier comp up until that point. Its just the fact that the VFL became the AFL, therefore they count VFL premierships.

No, it is a different competition, this is why I take exception to Port Adelaide claiming SANFL flags.

Collingwood, formed in 1892 won just the one in 1896 which I think was the last year before the big break off into the VFL, in what was believe to be the first grand final ever played (the top 2 teams finished with same points and percentage or whatever they used at the time so had to have a play off).

In 1924, Footscray (VFA Premiers) played Essendon (VFL Premiers) for the Victorian championships, the doggies pumped them.

So you cant definately say which one was the premier comp up until that point. Its just the fact that the VFL became the AFL, therefore they count VFL premierships.

U kidding?

Looks like it made it to the main board... have a look at the NMFC board for more info!!

For mine it is worth recognising as I follow the NMFC - Not the AFL. The NMFC have played in 3 different comps. VFA/VFL/AFL and we have won 6, 2, 2 = 10 flags in our 'club' history since being Est in 1869.

Not worried about the relative merits of the comp as you could argue all day. Many country/local clubs change division or even league but if you walk into the clubrooms they just don't have their premierships from the latest division or league. It's the whole thing since inception.

Also not worried how others rate them. You can only beat who you are up against but we have won 10 flags since 1869. I'm not claiming them to be better than VFL flags in the same era; just that we won the comp we were in and this is worth recognising. The AFL let us advertise we were Est in 1869 in our marketing material so lets acknowledge everything the "club" (and it's all about the club) has done since then.

Do you barrack for the football club or just the franchise as licensed by the VFL/AFL?? I'm distinguishing between the club and the competition. I barrack for the NMFC and we have 10 flags.

The founding members of the VFL were footy clubs before they were the VFL and I'm sure the people at the time were proud of what they had achieved up to that date.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back