Do you empathise with supporters of other clubs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, the only team I care about is Fremantle. Sure it sucks to see stuff happen but in the end it does't effect my team. The only reason for me to care about another team is if I've tipped them this week.

The CEO more or less said today that they weren't going to the draft with the first pick anyway, Stocker looks like a player and if we can snag a decent player with your pick then we would have done well.
Now whoever Adelaide pick up with lets say no 1 will have to be a super super player for the trade to be classed as a Crows win, more likely it will be win win.

Thats finethat youre not, but here is the real issue, if you had Pick 1, you would have been able to trade much more easily and have much more bargaining power for a player that is elite.

At first glance, I think Stocker will be good player, elite, no. Could you have traded for an elite player with Pick 1 with so much ease, Ken Oath, you could have.

Im also totally ignoring the main win for the Crows here where Pick 1 >>> Pick 10 + Pick 19.

Otherwise many Clubs over the years would have entertained these trade of picks. They all know where the value lays.

I still have no idea what the Crows would do with Pick 1, I would rather two elite SA kids in Luko and Rankine then potentially risky Vic kid. If those two SA players were not around, thats fine, I would take the Vic kid, but when you have options........

Carlton would have had many more options with Pick 1, in fact you probably could have easily got Stocker and more with Pick 1.

Forums like Big Footy absolutely have a polarising effect on this.

At the end of the day, it's just guys and girls kicking around a ball for entertainment.

Or at least, that's what I tell myself after a bad loss. ;)
Yeah true....but fwiw I really do feel bad for the saints right now. I for one don’t really get the point of teams playing internationally and to then to have staff and players get so sick and then have such a bad injury to your capt again...it’s just terrible.

I have great sympathy and feel sorry for Hawthorn fans. I can’t imagine having to decide which of the threepeat flags I liked best or who was better out of Hudson and Dunstall as a full forward or who would coach our team of the century or the somewhat average ruckmen we have had despite inter generational success. Poor bastards.

I empathise with all other clubs’ fans as I know how s**t being irrationally over attached to a rubbish team can be...

For the most part footy supporters are just punters looking to get a bit of joy out of watching their team play on the weekend. Kids, families, old single blokes cheering on a struggling team: they are the lifeblood of the game.

So yeah, I feel for a lot of them. I ******* hate Carlton but a good mate goes for them so am happy for him when they win.

But the guys who are probably in their sixties now who gave a young kid in a cats jumper unrelenting s**t at Princes Park, or that drunken f wit Hawthorn supporter at Waverly, both back in the 90s - what can I say? That combination of entitlement mixed with the bravado (of course based on nothing that they themselves actually were or achieved) directed at a minor? Heh, your uppance has come.

I feel sorry for those fans who go to games knowing they will most likely lose. I feel sorry for fans whose club the AFL shafts, not gifts endless Friday night games when they are shite, or treats a runner up like Premiers and Premiers like a runner up.
I feel sorry for fans whose club has to struggle without an armchair ride from the AFL. For those fans are the backbone of the competition.

Kharma, burn in hell ... they're coming for you. ... arent you there already ??

I've been here for ages.

I just want some company, I get so lonely....

And I'm sick of talking to John Elliott's seat warmer.

I really feel for Carlton supporters, mainly because the club is fielding a colts team in a men’s comp and has no chance what so ever. The club has to wear its bad decisions but the poor old supporters have no say in it.

I don’t want nor need anyone to feel sorry for me. Don’t see what value it has to anyone else either. Football means a lot to a lot of people but if it’s not your local club etc you likely don’t have any stake in it other than financial. The hard times are part of the sacrifice you make and it’s v much a choice you make to be in a position where it affects you.

Why, most of em have heads like road killed rabbits and mouths liked sewer rats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like many, I have a lot of sympathy for the clubs that have been success starved. I was happy for the doggies and tigers in their premiership years, and wouldn't mind seeing Melbourne and St Kilda getting up soon. If Fremantle had been playing anyone else in 2013, I would've wanted them to win that one, too.

Brisbane are one team whose fans I've had some sympathy for recently. They've been down the bottom for a while in non-AFL territory, and every time they started to lift their young guns left. Things have really changed for them now due to a stable off-field system and a change in recruiting philosophy, and I'm happy to think their supporters may be about to enjoy a period of sone success (their team atm reminds me of Hawthorn 07 in some ways).

I do. I felt for Essendon supporters during the ASADA debacle, Melbourne during the Neeld/Bailey days, even Port Adelaide during the Matty Primus short period.

This is no different. All supporters of the game deserve joy and it's been a really long time for Carlton supporters. I never understood 'hating' another team's supporters. Everybody deserves joy, everybody deserves to go through the happy and the sad, too much of the happy (ala Hawthorn) and I'm envious, too much of the sad (ala Carlton) and I just feel sad for them.
You obviously weren't around in the days when they were pinching everyones players and calling them good Carlton people. Richmond did the same in the early 70's, but no I don't feel sorrow for them. Added to that John Elliott and I feel even less sorry for them.

You obviously weren't around in the days when they were pinching everyones players and calling them good Carlton people. Richmond did the same in the early 70's, but no I don't feel sorrow for them. Added to that John Elliott and I feel even less sorry for them.
Yeah I wasn't, I was born in 1992.

I still don't think the supporters of today should be judged by events that happened in the 70's or 80's.

In fact I don't think any supporter should.

Empathy, yes certainly.
Sympathy, not much no.

But definitely agree with the sentiment that strong rivals make supporting your own club worthwhile. A vibrant competition where everyone has up and down periods is good.

As a lifelong Blues man, it just sucks being Carlton right now. It won’t always be this bad. Surely.

"It's just a game" goes both ways I think.

- I don't hate people who support other teams at all, they're welcome to it, it's just a game.
- Your team has been down in the dumps for decades? haha oh well it's just a game your team's s**t etc etc

I try not to be too much of an arsehole but yeah, Carlton being garbage is far more of a running joke than something I'd feel sorry for someone about. If Carlton being s**t is the biggest problem in your life you've got a very good life.

edit: on rivals being good, I dunno man. Happy to pick up a good rival for a few years like Sydney 05-06 for us. But yeah I'm extremely happy for Fremantle to not come close to another grandy for years. It's fun when they're a punching bag, yknow?

I have empathy for all footy fans, as long as the McLaughlan bros are around. We're all in this togather.
hip hip hooray McLachlan out the fother mucker. he is fooking a slime bag and his stupid brother rode an injured horse at the Melbourne cup carnival a few years back interviewing jockeys or whatever. Fooking polo playing prats

I’ve attended 11 Grand Finals my team has played in.
They’ve won 1 of them.
I’ve been to more drawn Grand Finals than winning ones.
Empathy for other teams and their hard times?
Maybe for Fitzroy and definitely for Adelaide re Phil Walsh.
That’s it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back