Do you empathise with supporters of other clubs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
For an Eagles fan to have an actual football discussion with a Freo fan, one must first empathise with the pure frustration driving its eternal plight; disarming its inherent defensive emotional response to label you 'one-eyed' regardless of what was said.

So yeah, when I have to.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Probably only Saints fans. To get SO close so many times and not win it...if not for a measley point they'd have been in the VFL/AFL for over 120 years without a flag! Unimaginable. I guess it's also respect that they continue to passionately support their club. If I were a Saints fans i may well have packed it up after 2010 out of sheer frustration.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
And I feel sorry for certain Dockers fans so starved of real success winning the western derby is the highlight of their year, or they get envious/bitter over our success. Course many Dockers fans are decent people, no club has a monopoly on good or bad people, I obviously know many and have friends, but tbh the bad ones have just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm sure they'd say the same. I was going for em in 2013 and I have to admit, on some level, there's the WA pride thing. Had I had been already an ardent West Coast fan in 1995 who knows really, as i grew up and lived not far from Freo, and it's my favourite place in the Perth metro. I don't really link the club much to the place though, more the WAFL clubs.

Strebi3

Team Captain
Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This. Some clubs are ok and I don’t mind their players but some of their obnoxious, arrogant supporters make it so hard to remotely like them.
I feel like we can be this club.

We have had so much success that it's so easy to get carried away.

Much like Richmond have been since they finally broke their drought. I think it's the media and supporters combined.

Dusty was my favourite player around 2015-16 but once the media and supporters started jerking themselves off to him, i got turned off and now Richmond are one of my least favourite clubs.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I really feel for Carlton supporters, mainly because the club is fielding a colts team in a men’s comp and has no chance what so ever. The club has to wear its bad decisions but the poor old supporters have no say in it.

Too many kids. Too many teams .. too few players of AFL standard... coming to a team near you!!!

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Fitzroy fans

Also feel a bit for Saints fans, not getting a premiership in 2009/10 with the side they had was heartbreaking for me as a neutral

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It is nice to see Carlton down and I want us to beat them every time we play them but I do truly empathise with their fans.

Each and every season is still born and essentially over by the beginning of May. It is just awful. \following a sports team is supposed to give some hope.

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC
I have great sympathy and feel sorry for Hawthorn fans. I can’t imagine having to decide which of the threepeat flags I liked best or who was better out of Hudson and Dunstall as a full forward or who would coach our team of the century or the somewhat average ruckmen we have had despite inter generational success. Poor bastards.

I empathise with all other clubs’ fans as I know how **** being irrationally over attached to a rubbish team can be...

I'm struggling with the roller coasting ride that is 2019:(

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC
I feel empathy for Melbourne and StKilda supporters, both teams have been rebuilding and looked like turning the corner. This season is so tight and top 8 spot beckons, they then play and lose home games in Darwin and Shanghai.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I felt some empathy for the Melbourne supporters and their decade long struggles, but I'm hoping that Carlton's struggles continue for decades to come.

Some clubs and supporters don't annoy, frustrate or instill a sense of disgust or hatred as much as others. Go figure.:)

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Thats finethat youre not, but here is the real issue, if you had Pick 1, you would have been able to trade much more easily and have much more bargaining power for a player that is elite.

At first glance, I think Stocker will be good player, elite, no. Could you have traded for an elite player with Pick 1 with so much ease, Ken Oath, you could have.

Im also totally ignoring the main win for the Crows here where Pick 1 >>> Pick 10 + Pick 19.

Otherwise many Clubs over the years would have entertained these trade of picks. They all know where the value lays.

I still have no idea what the Crows would do with Pick 1, I would rather two elite SA kids in Luko and Rankine then potentially risky Vic kid. If those two SA players were not around, thats fine, I would take the Vic kid, but when you have options........

Carlton would have had many more options with Pick 1, in fact you probably could have easily got Stocker and more with Pick 1.
All very well, but we haven't got pick 1 so we have to go with the hand we've been dealt. The pick swap could go either way too early to tell yet but as a supporter i'll support my club as we all do. After all the no 1 pick is just one player, you need a good team to be a contender and we are far from that at the moment.

All very well, but we haven't got pick 1 so we have to go with the hand we've been dealt. The pick swap could go either way too early to tell yet but as a supporter i'll support my club as we all do. After all the no 1 pick is just one player, you need a good team to be a contender and we are far from that at the moment.

With all due respect, almost everyone knew that Carlton were a lock for a Top 3-4 pick in January.

The pick swap wont go either way after R11.

The Crows did the deal to win a Top 5 pick in essence. The lower that goes toward Pick 1, increases the level of victory.

I dont say this about many Carlton players but you have IMO, 1 elite player and 5 others that could become elite. Walsh will be a good player, the potential to be elite of the competition. Like Cripps you could build a team around him in 3-4 years time.

What impressed me about him is that he knows he is a Lock For Rising Star, but always stands right in front of Bolton when he gives his talks during a game, doesnt sit at the back. He went Pick 1. The kid plays well. Stocker will be a good player. Elite no. He is your 200+ gamer.

From what I have seen and heard the two Vic kids touted for Pick 1 are even better than Walsh.

Imagine if Carlton had Rowell, Walsh and Cripps all firing in 2020.

Ironically I differ from my board massively, I hope we use Pick 1 to get Luko and Rankine home.

I guess, Danger, Bock, Davis, Tippett, Gunstan, Gov, and Cameron have done that to me. Whats scary is that those players at their peak together would win any Club a flag.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I could, but why would I want to? My club has had enough pain, I don't need to subject myself to more through empathising. Screw every club that isn't mine.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
With all due respect, almost everyone knew that Carlton were a lock for a Top 3-4 pick in January.

The pick swap wont go either way after R11.

The Crows did the deal to win a Top 5 pick in essence. The lower that goes toward Pick 1, increases the level of victory.

I dont say this about many Carlton players but you have IMO, 1 elite player and 5 others that could become elite. Walsh will be a good player, the potential to be elite of the competition. Like Cripps you could build a team around him in 3-4 years time.

What impressed me about him is that he knows he is a Lock For Rising Star, but always stands right in front of Bolton when he gives his talks during a game, doesnt sit at the back. He went Pick 1. The kid plays well. Stocker will be a good player. Elite no. He is your 200+ gamer.

From what I have seen and heard the two Vic kids touted for Pick 1 are even better than Walsh.

Imagine if Carlton had Rowell, Walsh and Cripps all firing in 2020.

Ironically I differ from my board massively, I hope we use Pick 1 to get Luko and Rankine home.

I guess, Danger, Bock, Davis, Tippett, Gunstan, Gov, and Cameron have done that to me. Whats scary is that those players at their peak together would win any Club a flag.
Ha, you've been talking Carlton every 5 minutes all season so you must have worked out we don't need either of those two young players. We need mature players now and if we were to go to the draft i'd want a small forward-back first, but keep up the good fight because i'd rather be reading your :poo: than the :poo: that's on the Carlton board at the minute.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
As a supporter of a perennially under-achieving club, I always feel for fellow struggling clubs.

I have a soft spot for North, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast, Freo and Carlton.

Some of their supporters, mind you, make this hard.
How can you possibly feel for Carlton? The one club that went out of their way to see us burn to the ground...

Ha, you've been talking Carlton every 5 minutes all season so you must have worked out we don't need either of those two young players. We need mature players now and if we were to go to the draft i'd want a small forward-back first, but keep up the good fight because i'd rather be reading your :poo: than the :poo: that's on the Carlton board at the minute.

I was hoping to have a polite intelligent conversation. Im glad you eventually showed your true colours instead of just answering civilly.

Its my fault for engaging.

Disagreeing is fine. On the main forum, I try to be respectful always. If I was on your board, your post would be fine I wouldnt care its your "area".

Blood Bomber

Team Captain
May 19, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Nope. All other 17 clubs their members, players and staff can all get $#&*@#
No short memories here.
Sacked coaches, membership decline, merger talks, scandals, poor onfield performances, bad umpire calls. As long as it happens to opposition teams I'm happy. ❤🖤

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
I was hoping to have a polite intelligent conversation. Im glad you eventually showed your true colours instead of just answering civilly.

Its my fault for engaging.

Disagreeing is fine. On the main forum, I try to be respectful always. If I was on your board, your post would be fine I wouldnt care its your "area".
Bit touchy.

Final Siren

Mr Squiggle
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Definitely sympathize; I spent years sitting in the stands watching my team lose by 8 goals and know how that feels.

It's harder when the club is still being run by knobs, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back