• Yes

Votes: 53 21.6%
  • No

Votes: 138 56.3%
  • It's ok

Votes: 54 22.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't like it. Not inherently, just in its current state. It should be an 8-team league. And a lot of money should have been put into grass roots footy for young girls.

I'm sure once there are more avenues for girls footy the talent pool will grow. I still believe though right this minute, an 8-team competition would be a far, far higher standard.

I enjoy it somewhat now that we have a team, but it’s not the end of the world if I miss a game and I often find myself multitasking whilst watching.

The AFL have expanded the AFLW far too quickly and thus diluted the talent that is there dramatically, should have been a maximum of 8 teams for at least a decade to bed in the competition and have a better standard of competition.

The "skill" level of a lot of the players is atrocious and verge on laughable on the rare occasion I happen to stumble across vision.

It's hard to believe the pay demands of the players. They want equal pay, same as the men. Average salary is I think well above 100k. For the product they're producing vs the pay they are demanding is almost borderline lunacy. I get that they all work and can't put all their time and effort into improving, but seriously, you got to earn the right, you can't live in la la land and instantly demand top dollar.

The competition expanded way too quickly and the talent pool is incredibly diluted, after the first 10 picks it gets pretty thin.

I can't tune in again, it is a hard watch, give me women's cricket any day of the week, but not womens footy. If you like it, good on you, go your team.

Another thing I can't cop is the manufacturing of rivals, the build between essendon hawthorn, Collingwood Carlton, if they want their own identity, create your own. Same with the dream time game, the brownlow, the all Australian, coaches votes, be creative, create your own identity.

It's hard to believe the pay demands of the players. They want equal pay, same as the men. Average salary is I think well above 100k. For the product they're producing vs the pay they are demanding is almost borderline lunacy. I get that they all work and can't put all their time and effort into improving, but seriously, you got to earn the right, you can't live in la la land and instantly demand top dollar.

The competition expanded way too quickly and the talent pool is incredibly diluted, after the first 10 picks it gets pretty thin.

I can't tune in again, it is a hard watch, give me women's cricket any day of the week, but not womens footy. If you like it, good on you, go your team.
The demand for increased pay is quite hard to swallow.

With all due respect the level of fitness almost half of the players have is embarrassing.

There is genuinely quite a few overweight woman rolling around yet they call them professional athletes?

Have a suss of the womens Gaelic league. They’re genuine athletes (to a degree).

Any supposed pay increase should be all down to market forces, what do they bring to the game in regards to crowds, TV viewers, sponsors etc.

ie. if the AFLW went to broadcasters separate from the men's competition for a broadcast deal what sort of money would they be offered, IMO a miniscule amount as compared to the men's competition.

In saying that I am all for the AFL subsidising the competition to some extent with a view to the future... eg. grassroots girls footy.

I try and watch it because I love footy but it gets harder week after week. Watching the Richmond Brisbane game was embarrassing all round 3 goals combined for a whole day in near perfect conditions is a joke. Like many have said and has been said they have expanded way to quickly and the "talent" pool is so beyond empty its ridiculous. This level of sport does not deserve the amount of money poured into it and the fact they complain that it needs more shows how delusional all involved are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I try and watch it because I love footy but it gets harder week after week. Watching the Richmond Brisbane game was embarrassing all round 3 goals combined for a whole day in near perfect conditions is a joke. Like many have said and has been said they have expanded way to quickly and the "talent" pool is so beyond empty its ridiculous. This level of sport does not deserve the amount of money poured into it and the fact they complain that it needs more shows how delusional all involved are.
The fundamental issue is that so many people are crying for more pay for AFLW players, but even they don't support the sport through attendance or TV viewership

Right now as always, you can't play just for the money. Enjoy the fact that you're playing in the top-flight competition. It took men until the mid-70s to get anything resembling money. In 1989, only 4 players were earning over $100,000 (which was admittedly huge money at the time). Many players would have been on $25,000 contracts. Even then relative to other sports, they still trained hard, took the hits, and played 22 H&A matches, pre-season etc.

AFLW play fewer games, and many of the ladies are overweight and low-skilled even relative to their peers. Right now, the quality is not there

As before, I am more than happy for the girls to play AFLW. However, fact remains is that it has a long way to go to even be considered a professional sporting league

The fundamental issue is that so many people are crying for more pay for AFLW players, but even they don't support the sport through attendance or TV viewership

Right now as always, you can't play just for the money. Enjoy the fact that you're playing in the top-flight competition. It took men until the mid-70s to get anything resembling money. In 1989, only 4 players were earning over $100,000 (which was admittedly huge money at the time). Many players would have been on $25,000 contracts. Even then relative to other sports, they still trained hard, took the hits, and played 22 H&A matches, pre-season etc.

AFLW play fewer games, and many of the ladies are overweight and low-skilled even relative to their peers. Right now, the quality is not there

As before, I am more than happy for the girls to play AFLW. However, fact remains is that it has a long way to go to even be considered a professional sporting league
Agreed, As someone who actually watches it I am always annoyed when you get the pink haired feminist argue that they need to be paid more despite them not actually supporting it and don't watch a second of it.

If they want to improve these things they need to break away from their AFL subsidies and try and make it on their own. Will they ever do this god no the league would be dead in a year. They need to really learn to suck it up produce a better quality of product and until they do be grateful for whatever they get because it is far more than they deserve

Bill Burr sums this up

"To the feninists who demand equal pay in sport. Name 5 WNBA players. I dont need to watch it. I have mens sport to watch. Not even you watch womens sports. You're too busy watching real housewives. I go to mens sport, buy merch, watch on TV. When are you going to pick up your end of the couch"

The pay issue in aflw is simple. Economics. You get 50% of what you bring in, that is equal to the men who get 50% of what they bring in. If you bring in less, you shall earn less. Very ******* simple

They dont even report the crowds anymore do they? They arent big, it certainly isnt profitable by itself. Thus ends the pay dispute

Bill Burr sums this up

"To the feninists who demand equal pay in sport. Name 5 WNBA players. I dont need to watch it. I have mens sport to watch. Not even you watch womens sports. You're too busy watching real housewives. I go to mens sport, buy merch, watch on TV. When are you going to pick up your end of the couch"

The pay issue in aflw is simple. Economics. You get 50% of what you bring in, that is equal to the men who get 50% of what they bring in. If you bring in less, you shall earn less. Very ******* simple

They dont even report the crowds anymore do they? They arent big, it certainly isnt profitable by itself. Thus ends the pay dispute
Bill Burr was my inspiration. I'm not brilliant, so I have to steal other people's ideas - but I love his sense of logic

He also made the point that despite all the equality/feminist rhetoric, women ultimately prefer to tear each other down i.e. Real Housewives etc. than support each other

He said the numbers don't lie. They generally don't. Fact is that people prefer their TikToks over AFLW

Bill Burr was my inspiration. I'm not brilliant, so I have to steal other people's ideas - but I love his sense of logic

He also made the point that despite all the equality/feminist rhetoric, women ultimately prefer to tear each other down i.e. Real Housewives etc. than support each other

He said the numbers don't lie. They generally don't. Fact is that people prefer their TikToks over AFLW
LOL

It's a marketing ploy, probably the last major untapped market to exploit, the easiest way to leverage funding out of governments and the corporate sector.

It doesn't live and die on the same metrics as the AFL. AFLW is there to provide a space for girl footballers to grow up and grow into.

The demand for increased pay is quite hard to swallow.

With all due respect the level of fitness almost half of the players have is embarrassing.

There is genuinely quite a few overweight woman rolling around yet they call them professional athletes?

Have a suss of the womens Gaelic league. They’re genuine athletes (to a degree).
Yeah lots of them are carrying a lot of extra weight and don’t look like athletes at all, I’m glad women have finally been given an avenue to play the game but my eyes started bleeding when i watched it.

The AFL have mostly stopped reporting the crowd numbers (probably out of embarrassment), but you can find them here AFLW Results & Crowds | Austadiums. Some of the crowd numbers are pretty demoralizing

The AFL have mostly stopped reporting the crowd numbers (probably out of embarrassment), but you can find them here AFLW Results & Crowds | Austadiums. Some of the crowd numbers are pretty demoralizing
And they want to get more money... if this was a business and you didn't rely on the mens AFL, this would be shut down at the seasons end

And they want to get more money... if this was a business and you didn't rely on the mens AFL, this would be shut down at the seasons end
Men should be saying ‘hang on a minute, isn’t this money coming out of our pockets?’.

Back