Health Do you get the Flu Vaccination?

Remove this Banner Ad

What a fun time trying to get one is this year.

Health insurance provider offers free ones through Terry White Pharmacies. Go on to their website to book it in - sorry we're only doing a waiting list for corporate plans. Luckily I got a voucher for one through work, which got me on a waiting list. 4:00pm on a Saturday afternoon, get an e-mail, you can book it now but need the voucher code (which is on my desk at work), but you're off the waiting list so if you miss out, tough luck.

Finally got it booked in first thing Monday morning - 1 store with bucketloads of appointments over the next week or so (so why the waiting list), other stores offering stupid time slots like between 9:00am-10:30am on a Wednesday morning in 4 weeks' time and that's it.

Next time I might just fork out the $15 and get it done at the GP.

Did you get it 5 minutes after you were there? You could have gotten it from anywhere.
About a week later
Got some stuff to go on holiday and it got us when we were on holiday
There was a snotty little kid roaming around the place touching and coughing on everything

For the first time, my workplace was offering vouchers for a free flu vaccinations through Terry White Chemist. I booked in and got mine done about a month ago.

You're one of the lucky ones. You have to have a voucher just to get on their waiting list now.

Meanwhile other pharmacies and GP's are actively advertising being able to get shots straight away.

Can you tell me where your elderly relatives live? That way when I catch the flu I can pop round for a visit. Just so I can help build herd immunity.
Are you implying that you can still catch the flu despite having a flu vacc?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. But the more people that get vaccinated in the population, the less flu going round and hence the less chance that the vulnerable (generally the elderly) can catch it from you, me or Joe Bloggs on the local bus, train, at the shops etc.

I have never had one before but will this year, I’m not allowed to visit my mum now unless I do. Most of my family have been having them for years, my hubby got really sick after his first one but in subsequent years he’s had no issues.

You certainly can.
Unlike most vaccines which are super effective (around 99%) fluvax sits at about 50% efficacy at preventing catching the four strains included and reducing the severity if you do catch them.

However its useless against any strains not included and can make the symptoms worse if you do catch one.

Ive got it in the past and will this year as well but its far from a perfect vaccine unfortunately.

I’m pro vaccine but I feel the flu vaccine is over the top and unnecessary unless you are old or vulnerable.......ie when the flu vaccine no longer is effective anyway

Staying away from public transport is probably more effective and better lifestyle choice

I’m pro vaccine but I feel the flu vaccine is over the top and unnecessary unless you are old or vulnerable.......ie when the flu vaccine no longer is effective anyway

Staying away from public transport is probably more effective and better lifestyle choice
What will you do when it becomes mandatory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back