Opinion Do you have any dark hearted mates?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a mate who, despite his very best of intentions, has a dark heart when it comes to the Tigers.
His heart is black at the best of times but when it comes to the Tigers his memories pre 2017 continue to overcome his view of this juggernaut of our team.
His prediction for the Doggies game?

“They will pump us”

And

“20+
It’s a pretty weak side we’ve picked”

I told him that I thought we’d win - that the “bogey side” angle was overplayed given most games were pretty close except for last year and that they’re a pretty flaky side.

We, on the other hand, are super reliable when it matters and last night it mattered.

My response was some hard love

“You’re probably going to hate this but I reckon you’re dark heart is interfering in the joy.
The facts are this:-
We are in the middle of the best era you are going to see ... probably in your lifetime.
The team have earnt the right to be admired and for us to be optimistic as to what they can achieve.
Even if it doesn’t happen.
I’d rather work back from their best than worry about their worst.
I leave the negative sh*t to the media.
Your worry is about losing, mine is looking forward to how we can win.
I’ll take being wrong with that attitude than being affirmed for being right if we lose.
It’s the whole point of following a footy team and I’ve been waiting nearly 40 years for it.”

what are your thoughts?
Is he right, was I too harsh or
Should he wake TF up and start enjoying the era each week?

No offence to your mate, but he’s a ******** if he doesn’t realise factually we won the third most games of any club in the last decade. Only Hawks and Cats have won more. It’s a golden period for the club. And if he can’t enjoy it then go do something else. I’m nearly 47. I’ve seen 3 flags and one loss in my lifetime. I have also endured that 37 year period. I reckon i am pretty qualified to have an opinion on him when i say harden the * up, get a beer, and enjoy it.

Why?
If you look at it statistically, the probability is that we will win 3 times out of 4 so isn’t it better to assume a win?
The disappointment of being disappointed one week will more than likely be resolved a week later with a couple of wins?
2009 was the commencement of my dark heart.
Prior to that, I always had hope by Thursday.
It took until the flag for me to overcome this darkness.
Even in 2017, the Freo game, the bloody Giants game and, of course, that trip to the Cattery denied me true hope until Butler kicked that goal in the last quarter. From the moment, those 22 immortals changed my outlook.
And Buddy, they should have changed yours too!!!!!!
You can know that in your head but in your heart think the worst case scenario is going to happen every single time.

Why?
If you look at it statistically, the probability is that we will win 3 times out of 4 so isn’t it better to assume a win?
The disappointment of being disappointed one week will more than likely be resolved a week later with a couple of wins?
Even in 2017, the Freo game, the bloody Giants game and, of course, that trip to the Cattery denied me true hope until Butler kicked that goal in the last quarter. From the moment, those 22 immortals changed my outlook.

It’s funny but going to that game at the Cattery in 2017 was the game that gave me real hope. Caddy hammy in the first 10 minutes, Alex Rance having his worst ever day and Harry Taylor his best, Bachar missing some sodas, a one eyed baying crowd and some s**t umpiring and we only went down by 14 on their crappy narrow ground they play so well. I remember turning to my disappointed son next to me and saying “we get them on the G and we will slaughter them”. Strange how we interpret moments I guess.

It’s like GWS last week - we are a real chance this year..........

It’s funny but going to that game at the Cattery in 2017 was the game that gave me real hope. Caddy hammy in the first 10 minutes, Alex Rance having his worst ever day and Harry Taylor his best, Bachar missing some sodas, a one eyed baying crowd and some sh*t umpiring and we only went down by 14 on their crappy narrow ground they play so well. I remember turning to my disappointed son next to me and saying “we get them on the G and we will slaughter them”. Strange how we interpret moments I guess.

It’s like GWS last week - we are a real chance this year..........
Yeah after that I really wanted to get them again, still was a nervous wreck for the QF that year though

Why?

Don’t know I just do lol The past trend has nothing to do with the current moment so I seem to prepare mentally for the worst. I’m not one of those supporters who bag out the coaches/team constantly or anything like that. The 3/4 wins is a cool story but on any given game I am prepared for us to lose :)

Don’t know I just do lol The past trend has nothing to do with the current moment so I seem to prepare mentally for the worst. I’m not one of those supporters who bag out the coaches/team constantly or anything like that. The 3/4 wins is a cool story but on any given game I am prepared for us to lose :)
Mate, release the shackles and just enjoy the next year or two.
We have 4 or 5 all time greatest ever Tigers and definitely are a shot at another flag or two in the next couple of seasons.
You don’t want to be dark hearted until we win the thing.....
I loved season 2018 because I knew we were good the whole year. Ok, it ended badly :) but I had 24 brilliant weeks before that.
In 2019, as soon as we put the Saints away, little by little, week by week, my confidence built that we were getting on an irresistible roll.
We’ve won 4 of our last 5 .....

what are your thoughts?
Is he right, was I too harsh or
Should he wake TF up and start enjoying the era each week?

Of course you're right, you have to encourage people to get enjoyment out of good times, they don't last forever and they help balance out and mediate the inevitable down times.

It is deeply ingrained thinking to assume we'll fail and it's fully understandable after so long of watching exactly that. Like I've said several times when things have looked a little bleak this year, in the current era the club has well and truly earned our faith.

So what you are saying is you and Mopsy are mates then....?

:D

No offence to your mate, but he’s a ******** if he doesn’t realise factually we won the third most games of any club in the last decade. Only Hawks and Cats have won more. It’s a golden period for the club. And if he can’t enjoy it then go do something else. I’m nearly 47. I’ve seen 3 flags and one loss in my lifetime. I have also endured that 37 year period. I reckon i am pretty qualified to have an opinion on him when i say harden the fu** up, get a beer, and enjoy it.

the bloke is obviously a born whinger lol. Yawn next person. I’m 47 in 11 days lol

No offence to your mate, but he’s a ******** if he doesn’t realise factually we won the third most games of any club in the last decade. Only Hawks and Cats have won more. It’s a golden period for the club. And if he can’t enjoy it then go do something else. I’m nearly 47. I’ve seen 3 flags and one loss in my lifetime. I have also endured that 37 year period. I reckon i am pretty qualified to have an opinion on him when i say harden the fu** up, get a beer, and enjoy it.
Before this season began, over the last 3 yrs we have 10 more wins than anyone else, 7 if counting only H&A. That's awesome considering there is usually 1 win or % seperating 1st & 2nd on the ladder. In '18 we had 2 more wins above anyone else. We've always kept the faith. #gotiges!

Probably the right thread to tell this story. Our sorta two stories in one, both about dark hearted Richmond supporters.

I was lucky enough to be at the 2017 GF.

My partner, who was new to Aussie Rules, got a Maurice Rioli Club membership about half way through the season. She could see we were building to something special. I was still traumatised by 2016, so I held off, expecting Richmond to break my heart the second I put my trust in them. We kept winning. It was Round 19 or so before I splurged and upgraded to MRC. And my reasoning was even dark hearted - "If I don't upgrade, those pricks will make the GF and I'll regret it forever."

So we're at the MCG, sitting in the sunny Ponsford Stand, and I'm trying to just enjoy the day. No expectations. Just soak it in. Then Towner buried Crouch under the boundary line in the second quarter - we all know the tackle! The emotion whacked me like a dumping wave. I put my head in my hands and started crying like a baby, howling "Oh *, we're gunna win. We're gunna ******* win. I'm not prepared for this at all!" Every Richmond supporter in earshot turned around and started abusing me, telling me to shut my filthy mouth, lol. They weren't prepared for someone to even say that we might win, let alone actually win.

Beautiful day.

Probably the right thread to tell this story. Our sorta two stories in one, both about dark hearted Richmond supporters.

I was lucky enough to be at the 2017 GF.

My partner, who was new to Aussie Rules, got a Maurice Rioli Club membership about half way through the season. She could see we were building to something special. I was still traumatised by 2016, so I held off, expecting Richmond to break my heart the second I put my trust in them. We kept winning. It was Round 19 or so before I splurged and upgraded to MRC. And my reasoning was even dark hearted - "If I don't upgrade, those pricks will make the GF and I'll regret it forever."

So we're at the MCG, sitting in the sunny Ponsford Stand, and I'm trying to just enjoy the day. No expectations. Just soak it in. Then Towner buried Crouch under the boundary line in the second quarter - we all know the tackle! The emotion whacked me like a dumping wave. I put my head in my hands and started crying like a baby, howling "Oh fu**, we're gunna win. We're gunna ******* win. I'm not prepared for this at all!" Every Richmond supporter in earshot turned around and started abusing me, telling me to shut my filthy mouth, lol. They weren't prepared for someone to even say that we might win, let alone actually win.

Beautiful day.

a great story. For most of us, it was the beginning of an era none could even dream of, for others it’s still something that they’re trying to get their head around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I must admit to falling victim to my mates black heart mentality yesterday. We both rolled in our miserable lack of faith together like 2 dogs on heat at a local park in the warm spring sunshine.
But, at half time, while a little nervous I knew we’d win the game.
We’re just the better team with the better game plan and a clearly superior coach.
We play the Cats and I’d say we win 8 of every 10 times we play them.
So, it’s our flag to lose but for a bad day.
Jump on boys ....

Was dark hearted before yesterdays game, had convinced myself we would ge rolled. I am not sure if its a defensive mechanism developed through the 30 years of pain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back