Do you prefer this tribunal system or the pre 2005 one?

Which system do you prefer

• 1897 - 2004 tribunal system

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • 2005- present MRP review system

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

frenchfri12

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Before 2005, every single case got sent directly to the tribunal, where they considered the event and the evidence, and were free to hand down any penalty they wished, depending on the player and their reputation, and they were not bound by the categorical system we have in place right now. I'd prefer that still being in place rather than our current tick box penalty system.

The old way was better, but It was rediculous at times

Vandenberg got 6 weeks because his opponent head butted his elbow, and Crawford got a week for running with the flight and missing a screamer (both were overturned on appeal, but the fact it even got that far is bad enough)

Adrian Anderson's key objective was to eliminate concerns of penalties being constantly appealed against.

He did this by lowering the higher end punishments, and crucially, introducing the week's discount for not standing up for yourself and defending the charge.

These measures combined to good effect for the AFL.

But it was s**t for the players and the game.

******* BUMMMMMMMMMMP

I preferred the old system.
The one that actually used common-sense.

Said this sentence numerous times here on BF but the overhaul REEKED of " People trying to justify their job description/salary

* whoever signed off on this

I don't mind the MRP as a whole. But don't like the "you will get an extra week if you challenge and fail" rule. Maybe some financial cost to challenge or something. You don't want every incident going to tribunal again, but i think they should come into play a bit more often.

Back