Opinion Do you reckon you’re a reasonable supporter?

Do you reckon you’re a reasonable supporter?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is throwing a bottle of Jim Beam at the telly when Bucks is doing his after-defeat sports cliche presser unreasonable? My wife thought so. I told her that's cos she's satisfied with failure. She jestured with her palm towards me and said "obviously".
Bitch!

Last edited:

Yes very reasonable. I shall always want my beloved Pies to do well and win flag after flag but at a certain point you understand that life is a lot more important than a bunch of players kicking a ball around.
Blend your love of the game and club with your life and you shall find true inner peace.

That inner peace thing sounds fantastic, glad the drugs are working for you Jimmy.

My psychology might be better described as a failed state. Having said that, I agree with the temper of your post that getting too worked up by an organisation over which I have no control and a group of people to which I make no contribution is absurd.

Believe it or not this board has taught me how to be a more reasonable and balanced supporter.

On game-day I get emotional watching the team play so that all goes out the window.

I must be a bit weird compared to most here I think.

When the Pies lose a match in horrible fashion and stink it up royally, the last thing I feel like doing is getting online to whinge, sook, complain, or abuse sh1t players or sh1t coaches or even argue with other posters. I actually don't even feel like doing that ever as it changes nothing for me. Just wasted energy really.

As an example, I took the kids (11 & 13) to the footy last weekend vs Gold Coast. We left around the 20 minute mark of last qtr to walk back to city to where the car is parked. We just casually talked about things other than footy whilst taking in the sights of the CBD. Don't worry, we were all upset and pissed off about the Pies and what we just witnessed, we just didn't let it bring us down too much.

On the drive home my daughter took control of the music and we sang our hearts out very loudly to many great songs until we arrived home.

So to answer your question 76woodenspooners in a long winded fashion - I absolutely believe I am a reasonable supporter.

I enjoy being bat sh*t crazy.
Upsets so many who are willing to accept the mediocrity that the great club has descended to.
It annoys me that I can see so many things that need rectifying on field that the coaches obviously cannot.
You think you know, but of course you don’t. How could you?

Yes very reasonable. I shall always want my beloved Pies to do well and win flag after flag but at a certain point you understand that life is a lot more important than a bunch of players kicking a ball around.
Blend your love of the game and club with your life and you shall find true inner peace.
I think when you reach the "ultimately it's just a bunch of blokes chasing a ball" attitude, your passion has gone.
You can bleed over your team and still love bouncing your grandkids on your lap , enjoying the sun on your skin, reading good books and smelling the roses.

I think when you reach the "ultimately it's just a bunch of blokes chasing a ball" attitude, your passion has gone.
You can bleed over your team and still love bouncing your grandkids on your lap , enjoying the sun on your skin, reading good books and smelling the roses.
No doubt but when I was younger and the Pies lost a game the devastation was week long. That’s no way to live, temper your passion with the real world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many times I’ve tried to rationalise why I put myself through it. Why not walk away? Why do I even care? The answer is it’s impossible for me to walk away. Like the mafia, once you‘re, You’re in for life even though the exit door is always open. I have no power over it.

I am bat s**t crazy but when it comes to calling out people like McGuire I get it right. All my pies mates now acknowledge I was right.

But otherwise I am nuts.

i'm not sure you can keep your sanity if you're still reacting to losses in the same way at 60 as you did at 6. I remember going for long walks during the 1977 grand finals, to escape watching the pain on tv. I'm too lazy now. I've always had a strong desire to see the pies put together a respected united club.... eddie delivered that at times, but it was obvious years ago that his one-man band approach would have end in pain.

One thing that i've learnt in life is that if you keep telling a girl that you love her and all you get is pain, then you need to either move on or be a bit more philosophical... the first option is not an option.

Pre 2018 I was a complete psycho. Swearing, yelling and genuinely thinking everything was a free kick or f the umpires this and that. Post 2018, I watch the game and just chill. If it's a real shocker to watch I turn it off and go enjoy my life.

There's 0 point getting feral. It's unhealthy. Passion is good - but passion and psychotic behavior can be hard to separate for me since I'm on the spectrum.

Pre 2018 I was a complete psycho. Swearing, yelling and genuinely thinking everything was a free kick or f the umpires this and that. Post 2018, I watch the game and just chill. If it's a real shocker to watch I turn it off and go enjoy my life.

There's 0 point getting feral. It's unhealthy. Passion is good - but passion and psychotic behavior can be hard to separate for me since I'm on the spectrum.
I’m very similar. 2018 broke me, or at least helped me realise, that it really is just a game.

I stopped inviting a family member to watch Collingwood games on pay tv.
Everything was Umpire,Umpire,Umpire.
After every loss he was just angry for the rest of the week.

Sorry Dad.

I’m very similar. 2018 broke me, or at least helped me realise, that it really is just a game.

I just reflected on 2018. i dont think i ever believed that we had it won as i watched the game, so when we lost it, it was as if nothing was taken away.

Living in an eagles town, I thought about going to work a couple of days later. I didnt hear much from people and i still dont. Maybe we are pitied these days.

The thing that gets to me is that the coasters won and I look at their list and it's miles ahead of the pies....and they won. There's an sickness in the club. Mood swings and rejoicing about things that dont really matter. I have no idea why people count up the number of all australians, the voting in the brownlow and all the other peripheral stuff. I shrug at the community stuff even though i understand it wins influence and gov't money. I get more numb when i hear about inflghting and all the other stuff.

but then things could be worse...i could be a melb supporter.

i'm not sure you can keep your sanity if you're still reacting to losses in the same way at 60 as you did at 6. I remember going for long walks during the 1977 grand finals, to escape watching the pain on tv. I'm too lazy now. I've always had a strong desire to see the pies put together a respected united club.... eddie delivered that at times, but it was obvious years ago that his one-man band approach would have end in pain.

One thing that i've learnt in life is that if you keep telling a girl that you love her and all you get is pain, then you need to either move on or be a bit more philosophical... the first option is not an option.
I went for a long walk at three quarter time during the West coast final last year. It was an amazing experience.
Simply by listening to the screams groans and cheers emanating from the homes I walked past I knew it was scarily close.
I was desperate to know the result before I got home as the anticipation and tension was too much to bear.
As I turned down a narrow laneway which passed by a number of two storey units on one side and a bowling green on the other, I heard hysterical screams, several octaves above all the various noises I had previously heard.
We must have won! Surely there would not be a large gathering of eagles fans deep in the heart of Mooroolbark?
Then I heard it.
The sweet sound of our song sung with absolute rapture.
I'm not ashamed to say I stood under a cloudless, moonlit night and broke down.
A lot had been going on in my life and the lockdown and some personal losses had taken their toll, but that song....Good old Collingwood, sung with such passion and fervour by my brothers and sisters in the Collingwood tribe gets my tears flowing in the best of times.
You must understand that as childish or nonsensical as it may be for a man with grandchildren to react now as he did as a boy may lead to many deeply frustrating and depressing times, but the upside is the emotional highs are simply sublime. When you are emotionally invested, the defeats and victories are felt far more powerfully.
A s C S Lewis once said the pain you feel when you lose a loved one is the price you pay for love, it's all part of the deal.
The same applies to footy or any other passion or pursuit.
I've often tried to be dispassionate and logical about the game of football but I can't fool myself. I feel the emotional response long before I have any say in the matter. It's not a choice.
I've said before that those who suggest it is a lack of maturity or perspective to become emotionally invested in a football team are talking nonsense.
I can cry and grieve the death of loved ones or dashed dreams and shed tears when my team wins or loses a grand
final.

I went for a long walk at three quarter time during the West coast final last year. It was an amazing experience.
Simply by listening to the screams groans and cheers emanating from the homes I walked past I knew it was scarily close.
I was desperate to know the result before I got home as the anticipation and tension was too much to bear.
As I turned down a narrow laneway which passed by a number of two storey units on one side and a bowling green on the other, I heard hysterical screams, several octaves above all the various noises I had previously heard.
We must have won! Surely there would not be a large gathering of eagles fans deep in the heart of Mooroolbark?
Then I heard it.
The sweet sound of our song sung with absolute rapture.
I'm not ashamed to say I stood under a cloudless, moonlit night and broke down.
A lot had been going on in my life and the lockdown and some personal losses had taken their toll, but that song....Good old Collingwood, sung with such passion and fervour by my brothers and sisters in the Collingwood tribe gets my tears flowing in the best of times.
You must understand that as childish or nonsensical as it may be for a man with grandchildren to react now as he did as a boy may lead to many deeply frustrating and depressing times, but the upside is the emotional highs are simply sublime. When you are emotionally invested, the defeats and victories are felt far more powerfully.
A s C S Lewis once said the pain you feel when you lose a loved one is the price you pay for love, it's all part of the deal.
The same applies to footy or any other passion or pursuit.
I've often tried to be dispassionate and logical about the game of football but I can't fool myself. I feel the emotional response long before I have any say in the matter. It's not a choice.
I've said before that those who suggest it is a lack of maturity or perspective to become emotionally invested in a football team are talking nonsense.
I can cry and grieve the death of loved ones or dashed dreams and shed tears when my team wins or loses a grand
final.

ah mooroolbark.... the open spaces... the rural setting.... the motorbike ride thru wonga hills to warrandyte.... domie no wonder you're feeling isolated and in need of the collingwood community .

remember to take your medication...

I must be a bit weird compared to most here I think.

When the Pies lose a match in horrible fashion and stink it up royally, the last thing I feel like doing is getting online to whinge, sook, complain, or abuse sh1t players or sh1t coaches or even argue with other posters. I actually don't even feel like doing that ever as it changes nothing for me. Just wasted energy really.

As an example, I took the kids (11 & 13) to the footy last weekend vs Gold Coast. We left around the 20 minute mark of last qtr to walk back to city to where the car is parked. We just casually talked about things other than footy whilst taking in the sights of the CBD. Don't worry, we were all upset and pissed off about the Pies and what we just witnessed, we just didn't let it bring us down too much.

On the drive home my daughter took control of the music and we sang our hearts out very loudly to many great songs until we arrived home.

So to answer your question 76woodenspooners in a long winded fashion - I absolutely believe I am a reasonable supporter.

Love this.

Back