Do you remember when Shaq visited Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Swooper Eagle

Debutant
Jun 17, 2008
The Sweet Memory of 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Not sure if anybody else remembers when Shaq came down under after his rookie season almost 20 years ago. A couple of moments stand out in my memory.

Firstly, when he appeared on the now defunct Channel 10 Saturday morning basketball show with Steve Carfino, and Carfino asked Shaq to judge about 20 or so texta and crayon drawings that had been sent in by the 5 year olds in the audience. To his credit, Shaq did it, but I expect I wasn't the only one cringing at home.

Secondly, later that afternoon when he appeared on the Wide World of Sports with Ken Sutcliffe and Max Walker, who were completely ignorant of who he was, but had some pre-prepared questions to put to him. I vividly recall Max opening each question by calling him "Shock" in his nasal country accent. I think Ken may have even called him Shark once or twice.

I think Ken may have even called him Shark once or twice.
The same Ken who called Matty Hayden " Michael Hayden " , which wouldnt've been so bad....had it NOT been the day Haydos hit 380 !!!!!! :eek:

The same Ken who called Matty Hayden " Michael Hayden " , which wouldnt've been so bad....had it NOT been the day Haydos hit 380 !!!!!! :eek:

The same Ken who in an end of year review on sports in 2006 called West Coast the 'Perth Eagles'.

I do remember Shaq coming out. (I was about 11 years old). My sister bought me a 'Shaq Attack' basketball in the Black and Blue colours of Orlando and my brother took me to see 'Blue Chips' with Shaq, Penny, Larry Bird and I think Nick Nolte as the lead star.

True story.

Shaq went to a North Melbourne Giants game at the old Glasshouse. I think we were playing the Wildcats.

We had a mascot called the G Man.

G Man got a plastic blow up doll. G Man proceeded to simulate sex with the doll right in front of Shaq.

Next Giants home game G Man was forced to apologise to the fans and I think came out to "I'm in Chains."

The same Ken who in an end of year review on sports in 2006 called West Coast the 'Perth Eagles'.

I do remember Shaq coming out. (I was about 11 years old). My sister bought me a 'Shaq Attack' basketball in the Black and Blue colours of Orlando and my brother took me to see 'Blue Chips' with Shaq, Penny, Larry Bird and I think Nick Nolte as the lead star.

Matt Nover was in Blue Chips (Ricky Poe) and briefly played in the NBL as an import for the Sydney Kings. IIRC he was a "victim" of the famous Pacific Shrink and was hopeless here.

Watching old episodes of the great, great panel show Open Court at the moment. Ernie Johnson with (the original crew): Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, Chris Webber, Reggie Miller, Steve Kerr, Steve Smith and Shaq just talking s**t about their NBA days. And it would have been twice as good without Shaq. Everyone else on that list is articulate, funny and insightful (or at least two of the three). And then there's Shaq.

He's a historically and comically awful TV performer, but because he's Shaq and for some reason everyone else is a yes man for him, he keeps showing up. And because he's Shaq, the others don't stop to tell him he's an idiot anywhere near often enough.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back