Prediction Do you think St kilda will make the 8 in 2018

Do you think St kilda will make the 8 in 2018?

• Yes

Votes: 58 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 116 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spot on. And some wonder why Acres can be inconsistent?!

So where should he play at least 70% of his footy then? Remembering its a team game so he must be replaced by someone just as good and he must replace someone he will be better than. I actually think his best position is where he plays now. A utility. A BJ type. He has had a fair career in that role.

Utility just like bj did. And he has had a great career

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing against you plugger but it shits me when people say this.

The reason bj was used as an utility is because he had two great weapons in spotting up the play and using his elite kicking. If you watched his games close he could never make it as a mid as he was A too slow to get the contested ball and b when he did get it wasn't the quickest decision maker under real heat.

Acres however is the oppposite. Hasn't got the best disposal but can move and work his way through traffic which bj could never do. Also he has that rare ability to make time slow down around him ala dal and pendles.

Acres should not be used as an utility because his disposal isn't were it should be for that role. I'm talking bj/savage/suckling etc because they are not the greatest inside, but give them time and space and they are worth a millions bucks when on.

Richo needs to play Acres in the middle as he to me is a pure midfielder in the cross of a fyfe/pendlubry. Now before people jump down my throat I'm not saying his is as good, just has the marking/strength of fyfe with the rare touch of finding space like Pendles.

Play him in the guts with Steven and Dustan and you will see a real point of difference to our team. Once they need a rest throw in Ross, Steele and Armatige to take over with Gresh and Billings playing a few cameo bursts throughout.

The end.

Last edited:

The reason bj was used as an utility is because he had to great weapons in spotting up the play and using his elite kicking. If you watched his games closes he could never make it as a mid as he was A too slow to get the contested ball and b when he did get it wasn't the quickest decision maker under real heat.

Acres however is the oppposite. Hasn't got the best disposal but can move and work his way through traffic which bj could never do. Also he has that rare ability to make time slow done around him ala dal and pendles.

Acres should not be used as an utility because his disposal isn't were it should be for that role. I'm talking bj/savage/suckling etc because they are not the greatest inside but give them time and space and they are worth a millions bucks when on.

Richo needs to play Acres in the middle as he to me is a pure midfielder in the cross of a fyfe/pendlubry. Not before people jump down my throat I'm not saying his is as good, just has the marking/strength of fyfe with the rare touch of finding space like Pendles.

Play him in the guts with Steven and Dustan and you will see a real point of difference to our team. Once they need a rest throw in Ross, Steele and Armatige to take over with Gresh and Billings playing a few cameo bursts throughout.

The end.
dark saint , i would like him to play as a midfielder but for some reason they don't do it - the guy is so skillful its a joke - he would carve up teams if given the chance - my worry is if they don't give him his chance to show his potential this year - the eagles will try their best to get him.
acres is a player with x factor and if he steps up this year we will be in for a great year

The reason bj was used as an utility is because he had two great weapons in spotting up the play and using his elite kicking. If you watched his games close he could never make it as a mid as he was A too slow to get the contested ball and b when he did get it wasn't the quickest decision maker under real heat.

Acres however is the oppposite. Hasn't got the best disposal but can move and work his way through traffic which bj could never do. Also he has that rare ability to make time slow down around him ala dal and pendles.

Acres should not be used as an utility because his disposal isn't were it should be for that role. I'm talking bj/savage/suckling etc because they are not the greatest inside, but give them time and space and they are worth a millions bucks when on.

Richo needs to play Acres in the middle as he to me is a pure midfielder in the cross of a fyfe/pendlubry. Now before people jump down my throat I'm not saying his is as good, just has the marking/strength of fyfe with the rare touch of finding space like Pendles.

The end.

Very harsh on bj and from what I’ve seen overrating acres. Don’t think he has the decision making to play through the middle myself but maybe I’m wrong. The thing is I reckon richo wants us to win yet won’t play acres in the middle. If he is as good as you say then richo is almost committing a crime.

Very harsh on bj and from what I’ve seen overrating acres. Don’t think he has the decision making to play through the middle myself but maybe I’m wrong. The thing is I reckon richo wants us to win yet won’t play acres in the middle. If he is as good as you say then richo is almost committing a crime.

I don't think we have many mids who are strong decision makers in the middle. Dunstan played a lot of average footy in the middle in the last couple of years but kept getting selected. I can't understand why they don't give him run of games in the middle. He's very slippery in traffic and likes to get the ball and have a run. The decision making of an inside player is usually dictated by the players who run on the outside like Seb, those two running along side each other with a one/two and a kick in to the forward line sounds pretty enticing.

The end.

agree entirely on the points you made on beej vs acres and i've been pretty critical of acres. acres doesnt have the disposal or vision that beej had. however i wouldnt say he's a pendles or fyfe. both are pretty different players too each other and different to acres. i cant think of a good comparison off the top of my head but maybe thats because i'm not sure where he should be playing. i think we will know by the end of this season though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The end.
+1 Richo has some tough calls to make this season.

Approaching the season its kinda bizarre how everything seems so certain for us.

Nearly everyone has us 9-13. Saw that AFLMedia piece where one person had us in the eight, about 15 didn't.

Pretty much every expert has us out, same questions being asked.

Pre-season lacklustre, game plan, players looking decent but not quite as good as its competition.

Its hard to think any other way to be fair, it all seems inevitable.

I have to relate us to North of about 2011ish, good list but never quite good enough to challenge the elite consistently, eventually topped off with some experienced talent but not able to ever challenge for a flag. Obviously its too early to make that call and our future is completely unknown. Just a similarity.

Approaching the season its kinda bizarre how everything seems so certain for us.

Nearly everyone has us 9-13. Saw that AFLMedia piece where one person had us in the eight, about 15 didn't.
JG22.........I have thought the same thing.....it's almost like all the "experts" in all media outlets have just cut and pasted each others articles/summaries.

I saw the AFL piece last night.

Mind you....given we were bad/very bad in several games last season(IMO...our expectations for our list last season were a little overblown)....their rankings are understandable.

I'm really looking forward to see what this list and additions from here on are capable of......as that will be the basic group determining whether we'll have a shot at the cup over the next 3-8 years.

JG22.........I have thought the same thing.....it's almost like all the "experts" in all media outlets have just cut and pasted each others articles/summaries.

Mind you....given we were bad/very bad in several games last season(IMO...our expectations for our list last season were a little overblown)....their rankings are understandable.

I'm really looking forward to see what this list and additions from here on are capable of......as that will be the basic group determining whether we'll have a shot at the cup over the next 3-8 years.

I think the point is we or some here think we will improve because we are young but most teams near us or below us have the same opinion. The difference is some of those teams have actually added top 22 players and we haven't whilst also losing 2 players who whilst not at their best last year still had an influence on our game. Doesn't mean we cant improve because it will get down to which teams youngest improves the quickest.

If you aren't a fan that's probably about what we deserve after we let down a few last year after they picked us as finalists. Most had us above Melbourne. Their preseason looked more like they are ready and they get back some good players who missed lots last year like Gawn and Hogan, also added Lever which covers a weakness. I can see why they look better on paper.

Most of them had Richmond outside the 8 after a terrible 2016...probably unfair because they'd been playing finals most years before that. Basically you are only as good as current form and judged on the past recent performances. We had two really good wins last year with strong wins against GWS and the Tigers. If we can start winning against top 8 sides instead of beating on the lower teams and middlers we will gain respect.

We go in to 2018 with no excuses and not a lot of pressure, our draw is a bit on the difficult side but if we are good enough we should be able to finish between 12th to 6th. A few injuries could see us completely * it up but if we get a massive lift from some youth players we could also be anything. So over all I would say with all that considered those outside the club would think 9th to 12th is about right. Lots of other clubs have claims on a top 8 spot and lots have better claims than us.

Pretty much every expert has us out, same questions being asked.

Pre-season lacklustre, game plan, players looking decent but not quite as good as its competition.

Its hard to think any other way to be fair, it all seems inevitable.

I have to relate us to North of about 2011ish, good list but never quite good enough to challenge the elite consistently, eventually topped off with some experienced talent but not able to ever challenge for a flag. Obviously its too early to make that call and our future is completely unknown. Just a similarity.
It is just lazy journalism. Most of those media types do very little research and just regurgitate what some else has already said about us. If they actually bothered to look at our players, they have performed as strongly as their peers at much more hyped clubs.

It is just lazy journalism. Most of those media types do very little research and just regurgitate what some else has already said about us. If they actually bothered to look at our players, they have performed as strongly as their peers at much more hyped clubs.

How is it lazy to think we will come where most think. By the way do you know as much about other clubs as the Saints. I certainly don't and you are probably in the same boat. They have to know a fair bit about 18 clubs. Obviously they cant know as much as a fair dinkum saints fan because it would be impossible to do that for 18 clubs.

What clubs have they got wrong by the way because for us to go up the others must come down. Doesn't mean that's where we will finish but when a good majority have you around the same spot I don't they are all that lazy as you say.

So much of our rise is based on potential. It's like in one of those list ratings Collingwood was a top 8 side. I can't see it myself and the Pies look like their list is so full of holes it will be mid table again. That's obviously based on past out put and player rankings. We have lots of untapped potential growth which could bear fruit but could be another group of Siposs, Spencer White or Tom Lees. Potential is an unreliable form line.

How is it lazy to think we will come where most think. By the way do you know as much about other clubs as the Saints. I certainly don't and you are probably in the same boat. They have to know a fair bit about 18 clubs. Obviously they cant know as much as a fair dinkum saints fan because it would be impossible to do that for 18 clubs.

What clubs have they got wrong by the way because for us to go up the others must come down. Doesn't mean that's where we will finish but when a good majority have you around the same spot I don't they are all that lazy as you say.
It is lazy as they just repeat what some others media personality has said without actually looking at the facts about the list. It is their jobs to know about all 18 clubs, know the players and watch them play. Opinions about our list and players are being broadcast by people who can't even name our players (e.g. Cooney, Dermie, Cornes), yet they supposed know none of our young players have any potential and will no longer improve despite us being one of the youngest and inexperienced lists in the league? That's why I don't take what these "expert's" say about us serious and why it is complete and utter dribble.

It is lazy as they just repeat what some others media personality has said without actually looking at the facts about the list. It is their jobs to know about all 18 clubs, know the players and watch them play. Opinions about our list and players are being broadcast by people who can't even name our players (e.g. Cooney, Dermie, Cornes), yet they supposed know none of our young players have any potential and will no longer improve despite us being one of the youngest and inexperienced lists in the league? That's why I don't take what these "expert's" say about us serious and why it is complete and utter dribble.

I listen to SEN a bit and they usually have good reasons for putting us mid table. Most have spoken about the lack of star talent but also comes down to so many others owing one of those top 8 spots. It's not a slight on us but a reasoned guess. If you try to do a top 8 there are lots of clubs with claims on one of the spots. To me Adelaide, Sydney, GWS, Port, Geelong and Richmond should all be playing for top 4 spots, Bulldogs, Essendon, Melbourne, Collingwood, Saints, WCE and Freo and some drifting out of the 4 are all playing for positions 4 to 8. Brisbane, Freo, North, GC and Carlton all reckon that if everything goes right they could sneak into eighth spot.

North would have made the 8 if they hadn't lost a whole lot of their games by under a kick, Carlton look to have improved and have the most first round picks of any side and most young, Freo have a full Fyfe back and their list could trouble most at home, WCE have Nic Nat back and if their kids can come good their core is still solid, GC have Gaz gone and if you look over the list it's much better than it is on the ladder in the last few years, Brissy's list is starting to look really chock full of talent...anyway it's easy to make a case for most sides is the point.

I reckon we look a mid table team, but our potential for growth is high.

But how would you even know that. Maybe they see our list differently to you which wouldn't be unusual because most supporters are biased and with good reason. Its their job to know a fair bit about most of the top 30 players and I think most would know that. As I said do you know about other clubs because to call these so called experts wrong then you need to know why we will be better than some other clubs. Sounds like you take these experts seriously enough to say they are lazy.

And is it the chicken or the egg. If they are repeating what are saying are the others right in the first place or wrong? Anyway no one is right or wrong. Its an opinion and my opinion is most journos know enough about all sides to have their opinion. I don't think it is lazy at all. Even with our biased hats on here nearly 2 to one people think we wont make finals.

In essence the growth in some of our players will be solid but I dont think think it will be enough to jump the other teams eg Essendon, Melbourne, Bulldogs vying for the same top 8 positions.

That plus my continued reservations of Richo's coaching will have us finish around 12th IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back