Do you think the AFL should allocate more GF tickets for the fans of teams competing?

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to the GF last year and I reckon there was a minimum 50k genuine Pies supporters at the game, how they all got tickets in such a short time frame is beyond me but good for them.
The same will happen this weekend.

The 'corporates' thing is a bit over the top. I think the majority of tickets flow into the fans of supporters of the (Victorian) clubs involved. When the office finds itself with 10 tickets to the grand final and there's 10 diehard Richmond supporters in the organisation, who do you think is going? Otherwise we'd have a lot more workplace mass shootings in Melbourne.

FWIW nearly everyone I saw last year at the MCG was decked out in Collingwood or Eagles gear and extremely passionate about their team being there.

This. It works itself out. Corporate tickets are offered to competing team supporters generally. AFL club support means competing team supporters get first crack at the AFL tickets. MCC not so much but still more competing teams supporters would be likely to show up. And they whole of the black/grey market goes to competing team supporters.

The notion that everyone is neutral is a crock of shot and over exaggerated.

This. It works itself out. Corporate tickets are offered to competing team supporters generally. AFL club support means competing team supporters get first crack at the AFL tickets. MCC not so much but still more competing teams supporters would be likely to show up. And they whole of the black/grey market goes to competing team supporters.

The notion that everyone is neutral is a crock of shot and over exaggerated.

Corporates sending their own employees?

cry me a river to all the Richmond members who have jumped on the band wagon get their first membership in the last two years and complain the “real fans” miss out..
Thread was started by a Carlton supporter and there’s no Richmond supporters complaining about the allocation...

Corporates sending their own employees?

I've worked at a few places that had corp tickets....They went to the bosses. I had one manager who had never been to a game before he and his wife got a ticket...he admitted it was wrong, but as he said, you don't say no when you get offered a chance to go to an event like that.

One place that had many gave some to staff, but there was no real check on support (you had to say you supported a competing team, but enough people just want to go to the game that a lot of 'neutrals' would have ended up going claiming they supported one team or the other).

I reckon around 20-25k genuine eagles fans were there. Just my opinion though.
My point is real fans of clubs do seem to be able to get to the game and it’s not a corporate and neutral crowd that some think it is.
There still are a lot more theatre goers there than should be but last grand final I went to had plenty of Richmond and Crow supporters there.

There still are a lot more theatre goers there than should be but last grand final I went to had plenty of Richmond and Crow supporters there.

I think there is at many games, Anzac Day has become like the GF, many people travel to that now.
I know if I lived in Melbourne and a big Friday night game was on I would go to it. Many neutrals go to the blockbuster games I reckon.

Shut down AFL Membership (competes with clubs in general). Cut down MCC allocation and keep doing it for years.
Shut down AFL Membership (competes with clubs in general). Cut down MCC allocation and keep doing it for years.
I'm a full gold AFL member, my tickets went on sale between 2pm and 4pm Sunday. I bought mine in about 1 minute. Not even sure I want to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there is at many games, Anzac Day has become like the GF, many people travel to that now.
Not really, Anzac Day is just a day many not at work so of course ideal time to watch some footy but the game itself is still just a home and away game and nothing like the grand final day itself. I've never had any interest in attending Anzac Day game for decades and do not remember the last time I watched it on tv apart from a few minutes. Grand finals, though, not missed one by either seeing it live on tv or going to a handful in person. Best sporting day of each year, whether your own team in it or not.

Corporates come and go, fans remain all their lives and include generations of families who come each week.

Lose the fans, lose the atmosphere, lose the game.

Ooops for got to add Yes they should alocate more tickets to the teams playing in the GF

At the moment its 17000 each, out of 100,000.

I personally would prefer more actual fans there, it would create more genuine atmosphere instead of having so many neutral corporates who go the footy once a year
Wow only 17k each?? That’s not good enough! Gotta be around 35k each.

My bro-in-law (Richmond member) missed out in the initial ballot. But he just got one as part of the "GWS allocation". Looks like the unsold Giants tickets are heading over to Tigerland.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back