Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Random question and probably not the place to ask lol. But I had some asbestos bloke come around and crack off a bit of kitchen tile.. and he wasn't sure if the cement sheet was asbestos or not. He didn't seem to know much. He said he'd be back to me by yesterday and I couldn't get onto him today.

Going to call some more professional groups tomorrow and get them around asap, but until then it's exposed right next to my kitchen sink. I think it could be asbestos but it was built in 1988. There's white hairs or some sort of fibres all throughout the sheet!

DSC_0396.jpg

Hard to tell, but it doesn't look like it to me, but take that opinion with a pinch of salt as I'm no expert. As a firey, I've dealt with asbestos a few times in house fires, and I don't believe it looked like that.

Some info here: https://www.asbestossafety.gov.au/information-home-owners-and-renovators-obtaining-asbestos-survey
Approximately one third of all homes built in Australia contain asbestos products. As a general rule, if your house was built before the mid-1980s, it is highly likely that it would have some asbestos containing materials. If your house was built between the mid-1980s and 1990, it is likely that it would have asbestos containing materials. If your house was built after 1990, it is unlikely that it would have asbestos containing materials.
Going by that, it is likely that it could have asbestos. Best to get it checked I would've thought.

How did you go OP? To me that seems like it could contain asbestos fibres, if it was dimpled it would be almost a certainty.
Not a disaster unless you start crunching it up and moblising finer particles, making it 'friable'.
The only way to get a conclusive answer is to have a NATA accredited lab look at it under a microscope. You could submit the sample yourself and it costs around $50, care would need to be taken when breaking a piece off to protect your respiratory system and avoid contaminating area, a double zip lock bag should be used to transport the sample.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back