Do you think we should be able to vote on the net?

Remove this Banner Ad

play on

Club Legend
Mar 2, 2001
Are you in favour of voting on the net? I would. It would save me a trip. Also, can you see voting on the net happening some time in the future?

Or would you be concerned that it would be too easy for hackers to tamper with the votes?

I'd like to be able to vote on the net, it'd save a bit of hassle. Though, I guess they'd be too concerned about the possibility of hackers tampering the votes for now. Maybe in the future, that'll be the way we vote.

In the future if they could develop a foolproof way of doing it, although I'm sure that would be quite a way down the track.

It'd be good though, no lines and the bother of having to go to the polling booth.

For voting once in every 2 years, it may not be worthwhile in setting up the infrastructure - may help with absentee voting though!

If Banks deem it safe enough to allow customers to do their banking over the net, there should be no problems with the security in allowing voting.

Don't think the system has to be completely foolproof - it never will be! There is nothing stopping anyone gong to a booth and claiming to be me and voting in my stead.

I think it could work, cause when you think about it, it works for internet banking and uni enrolments and everything. If you had a secure way of logging in and registering your vote it would be fine. I think it's good if its at the schools though, because it makes people get out of the house and do something otherwise all we'd ever do is sit in frount of our computers......

perhaps the could do it for people out in the sticks or people overseas.......personally i wouldnt see the need for myself to do it over the net seeing as where i vote is just down the road

You cannot compare Internet banking to online voting. There's no way I would tolerate having to remember yet another PIN number that gets used once every 3-4 years.

Online voting will be implemented when and only when biometric identification is widely available (fingerprint or retina scanning).

Are you in favour of voting on the net? I would. It would save me a trip. Also, can you see voting on the net happening some time in the future?

Or would you be concerned that it would be too easy for hackers to tamper with the votes?
Well its 2018 and I still think it is a terrible idea, with all the flaws in the world to pick out. Imagine the hacking and stealing of ID's etc, bad move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As soon as a party uses a terrorist campaign of fear, coercion, etc to influence a result rather than only advertising their policies and procedures, that is, what they will do for a country, the vote is already hacked / rigged.

Labour Ad - Under the Turnbull Gubmint Evil will reign... RIGGED

Liberal Ad - Bill Shorten is a leprechaun trying to get back his gold... RIGGED

A Sycophantic leprechaun, leprechaun because he gets on his knees. How about this tirade, remember this...? if I wrote s**t like this on BigFooty I’ll get bant straight up... if I wrote stuff like this about Dutton and I’d have ASIO knocking on my door;

Edit - look at beetroot-faced Barnaby gaffawing and slapping his knee in the background, like a drunk hillbilly. Then there’s Pyne who is stone-faced... maybe he’s been under a few billionaire tables before?

Edited again - whatever happened to Pyne? Is he dead? The last time I remember seeing Pyne was when Ruby Wax slapped his head around between her breasts on Q&A

Edited once again - checked out on Wikipedia and Pyne is still alive, he needs to start acting like a knob-head on Twitter or have an affair with Katter to start acting like the average new age politician

Last edited:
It could be done, no doubt. I just worked the election day in SA yesterday at a polling booth - short of catastrophic interference with online voting, it wouldn't be any less secure than in person. You only need to roll in to a polling booth, state A name and corresponding address and you can vote. Heck, there's a rule that says if a person is marked on the roll already and they claim it's an error, that person is allowed to vote. Granted, it's a big job to co-ordinate the manipulation of votes to the tune of thousands in person like that, but there's other ways of having BS votes counted.

In the SA election just gone, every enrolled voter got an "Easy Vote" card sent out that had their name, address, electorate and the page and a voter number of the electoral roll written on it. If they presented that, we just ask if the card belongs to them and confirm they haven't already voted. If they answer correctly, they get marked off and given their ballot papers. The idea behind the card was to make looking them up in the roll quicker and easier (which I'm told by others who had done the work before that it helped).

So a possible way to make it electronic online voting comes to mind, based on the above. The electoral commission sends out those cards to everyone and they simply punch in the numbers to an online portal. Computer confirms that's a person on the roll (no different to what happens at a polling booth) and the system just asks the same questions, i.e. "Is that really you?" and "C'mon, you can tell me - have you already voted?". Click yes to continue, and you're in a section that allows you to vote. Click votes, hit submit. As long as it can be proven that the system doesn't record who that person actually voted for, then it's effectively the same as voting in person.

Side note just for laughs - I saw a lot of utensil'n'balls pics and other crap written on the informal votes last night, but the funniest by far (probably because it was the last thing i expected) was someone who wrote on both bits of paper "3 - Chris Judd" with a box around the number and everything. Made me lose count when I first saw it lol.

I would have to be absolutely secure, foolproof and free from hackers, but would have to be absolutely anonymous too.

You should only be able to see that I voted but not how I voted. Nor how the rest of street voted and so on. But somehow all the politicians, strategists and analysts will still want the same sort of figures as achieved by the votes being counted in each booth.

Would take a lot of effort to make such a system I think.

For voting once in every 2 years, it may not be worthwhile in setting up the infrastructure - may help with absentee voting though!

If Banks deem it safe enough to allow customers to do their banking over the net, there should be no problems with the security in allowing voting.

Don't think the system has to be completely foolproof - it never will be! There is nothing stopping anyone gong to a booth and claiming to be me and voting in my stead.

There is nothing stopping someone substituting an entire bag of votes. The notion that written voting forms are somehow more reliable is a a plainly ridiculous idea.

5 eyes already know when you fart.
Im sure they can already vote for you as well, it shouldn't even need the legislation to pass the upper house

Remove this Banner Ad

Back