Opinion Do You Think We Will Take A Step Backwards?

Remove this Banner Ad

Another year that reoeats the previous two may get a lot if natives restless.

Needs to be an even season across the board, we have fallen away pretty badly in the back half of both years but the 2015 kids ahould be fot enough to play out now plus gains with Pickett, etc.

6 wins as a bare minimum, anything less does look bad.

The Tigers have Dusty which is a huge point of difference. Like Dangerfield, he makes their midfield look a lot better than it is.

The Tigers may not be blessed with a great deal of talent, but what won them a flag was the way they all played their role and provided pressure. Still think we are miles off in the pressure department, particularly in the middle of the ground.

I agree with you. Almost entirely.

Dusty IS a huge point of difference. So is Cripps, metaphorically and literally. I would back Ed to curtail Dusty even if he couldn't stop him completely. I wouldn't back anyone in the AFL to beat Cripps to the contested ball.

And I agree with you that we were miles off in the pressure department, all over the ground. That is one of the most obvious ways that our best 22 last year and this year demonstrated that there were too many who were substandard either because they were too young or because they were no good. In my earlier post I spoke about the weak links. They were the ones inevitably who caused us to release pressure on our opponents.

Because I think next year we should have, most weeks if Daisy is not gifted games, 22 who can play at the level, I think we should be able to apply pressure all over the ground most of the time.

If we can't then either the 22 I have named (and emergencies) aren't up to AFL level or BB's game plan is no good. Either or both are possible but IMO BB has done nothing but show a skillful use of game plan and at this stage I have no reason to doubt my opinion of the 22 players I have named.

I'm bullish.

We'd have won more games in the season just past than the season previous had our already depleted midfield not been deprived of two of its best players.

The improvement was there to see though, there were heaps of games which were on the line in the last quarter, games we could've and probably should've won.

Just off the top of my head I recall tight losses against North Melbourne, Melbourne twice, St Kilda, Essendon, and Adelaide.

There were only 3 games where I honestly thought we were out of our depth and no surprises they were the games against Port Adelaide, Sydney, and Geelong, who were all just on another level whether it be physically and or technically.

There were also some underwhelming performances which you could probably chalk up to the fact that many of the younger guys were tiring towards the end of the season.

By building on our midfield unit and adding more quality we can hopefully gain a stronger foothold in games. Furthermore, delivery into the forward line would improve and I presume the number of goals kicked would increase as well.

Lastly, what I most love about the team is that when you think the opposition is on the verge of kicking away and giving us a thumping, Bolts somehow finds a way to stem the bleeding and keep them in sight. There were numerous games where I thought "*, this could be a long one" but we always managed to reign them back in and provide a contest.

Onwards and upwards, we're on the right path.

The Doggies and Tigers success in the last two seasons might suggest that we need to look at progress differently.

Tigers finished 13th in 2016, added some players (some i still dont rate) and were still a laughing stock halfway through 2017.

Dogs finished 7th in 2016.

Flags are obvioulsy the ultimate measure of improvement but the truth is often you don't know how good you are until you get there.

I really don't want to think otherwise but gee our midfield looks like being deplorable next year.

Honestly think I'll have lost interest by the bye rounds next season.

Cripps missed a third of the year mate, and played the other games with a broken jaw or broken ribs, off the back of a missed preseason with stress fractures in his back.

SPS, Cunners, Fisher will be better. Kennedy and Lang will be looking to impress. If Rayner falls to 3, he should be close to ready to go round 1.

We'll go backwards, but hopefully those guys pick up some of the slack.

I've revised my wins down from 9-10 next year to 7-8. About the same as the past 2 years.

But I've also revised my probability of a premiership in the window 2020-2025 upwards.

Why the need to go backwards??
Have you not seen how quick our kids from the last two drafts, are developing and when picked are not just making up numbers.
This is not the CFC of old, under Bolts and SOS, the list rebuild is coming along nicely.
We may not finish in the 8, and we again may finish in the bottom 4 or 5 teams ladder wise, but the don't underestimate the growth from within and talent traded to add depth.
The current programme set by BOLTS has shown enough in year 1 and 2 to suggest the club will move forward next season.

Midfield options next year vs this year are way better evem with the loss of Gibbs look how sps played when he needed to when we lost cripps and curnow and that was without a pre season

Plus you add Kennedy LDU/rayner/Cerra and maybe a Brayshaw/Higgins and our inside midfield game is strong. Then you still have cuningham Fisher and Lang dont forget we start to look a lot better next to cripps ed and smurph

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our kids will give us big improvement next year and will more than cover for losing Gibbs . Theyve been fast tracked through simply being played before their time and all have looked up to it . We will now see the benefit going forward of this . We'll see some bigger bodies next year with another pre season in the gym Kennedy is a good addition and by half season it'll be Bryce who? We will improve but are still another season away from coping with injuries to key players so hoping major injuries stay away . Want to see more of SPS Cuningham and Fisher running through the midfield and more forward pressure this is where Pickett excites me . 10 wins atleast should be the aim less than that unless theres a major injury to Cripps will be a disappointing season .

Realistically I think finals are a prospect (Richmond came from 13th last year ffs) and would be disappointed if we did not win 10. I think we should finish above Gold Coast, Freo, Norf, Eagles, Saints, Hawks, Pies and Brissie.
Eagles, Saints, Pies & Lions should be above us next year.

So Windhover has us as 10th and LL counters with 14th.... both of which are higher than our 15th this year. Split the difference and say 12th is a possibility?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no idea how we'll go next year, but I'm definitely excited to see how the young guys go.

Also, when Cripps went down last year, we saw Kerridge come in and hold his own. He had a patch of 6 games where he got his 24 touches, 5 or so clearances and tackles. He's no Gibbs but he's a mature body who plays a similar role. I think he'll play a part in making our midfield competitive in 2018.

Well probably win about 6 games. Not many match winners in our side. I just hope we're not as defensive and try to implement a more offensive mindset.

Best Case: Harry comes on quicker than we expect, the midfield clicks with the inclusion of Kennedy and a decent run of health. The backline progresses to a Top 3-4 unit and we get 20 games out of Kreuz. 12 wins, 8th.

Worst case: Don't hit the season with good health, and the forward setup shows little to no progress from last year. Midfield still gets smashed for clearances and the backline holds up ok but is under constant pressure. 5 wins, 16th.

My view is organic growth will counter (at a minimum) Gibbs. Kennedy's inclusion should create some clarity of roles in the midfield rotation and Murphy in particular will benefit by getting back into his more damaging outside role. Fitness and attitude pending, we need to commit to getting games into Harry, and settle Weiters in one spot (2nd backman for mine, with Jones taking the #1). Leave Doc at HBF and pump midfield minutes into this and last year draftees. Forward line will frustrate, but hopefully we commit to a core unit and let them figure out each other's games for big lifts in 19 and beyond.

I think 10 games is realistic. We've got an excellent coaching team and the attitude of the group can't be faulted.

I have no idea how we'll go next year, but I'm definitely excited to see how the young guys go.

Also, when Cripps went down last year, we saw Kerridge come in and hold his own. He had a patch of 6 games where he got his 24 touches, 5 or so clearances and tackles. He's no Gibbs but he's a mature body who plays a similar role. I think he'll play a part in making our midfield competitive in 2018.

I agree. He will play quite a bit of midfield while the younger mids will develop. Over the next two-three years he will be phased out however

Carlton has smashed it in regards to building the foundations of a winning game plan. SOS and Bolton have a ample resources to deploy into six defenders and lots of cover - experienced and under development.

At the same time serious investment was made in younger faster more skillful players like : SPS/Cuningham/Pickett/Fisher/Polson/LeBois/Curnow - some of whom haven't featured in AFL much to date. These playmakers are all underdeveloped physically - so they really offered little in terms of physical ability to impact contests - often their endeavour was more pressure act ( Charlie excluded)

This year Bolton will work hard on the following:

1. The kids have to get fit enough to close space and convert pressure acts into turnovers - this will be #1 area to improve on the defensive side of things AND create the foundation of attacking capability; so
2. Then the kids have to learn to execute attacking movement to advantage - keepings off game has to evolve into a more direct attacking game.

This is how a young undeveloped side moves from 'hard to play against' - to a higher scoring hard to beat side.

Gibbs' loss will be felt not so much as a person who was able to win a match off his own boot - but more his ability to control play - a major element of the side's ability to play 'keepings off' and to buy time - he was a great at keepings off player because mostly his kicking and handballing execution was elite - much better than Murphy for example.

If the young kids take the next steps as a group, sooner rather than later - Gibb's importance and loss wont be that hard to cover - because Bolton's game plan is based on a team wide pattern of movement and kicking ability - not focused on individual players.

SPS|Cuningham|Charlie|Pickett|Fisher all have to learn to create turnovers and use the ball with each other much better - Cripps/Kreuzer/Ed/Kennedy will halve the clearances at least.

Up front - Teague has to start building a forward line movement that creates space and one on ones - Carlton has to dump the long bomb caper for except last resort defensive set up situations in forward 50.

Therefore at the margin - I expect to see improvement and development in the strategic game plan and execution aspects of the game emerge this year (the stuff above) - because Bolton will have more physically developed players to use appropriately.

The kids wont be able to hide behind or look to just Gibbs or Murphy with every possession - how well they embrace the challenge of creating a new Carlton will define on field performance - they will take great comfort in the fact that the back six will be able to cover for the inevitable turnover more often than not. time to unleash a more creative and smarter attacking team game.

I expect us to be around the same as this year, maybe winning a couple of more close ones so around 7 or 8 wins. Again its not the wins we are looking for but the growth. We were competitive for so many games with only a couple of shockers - hopefully the gap between our best and worst will be smaller yet again

I expect the kids to develop and show more straight away in rnd 1 and then progress even more during the season. Could be a bit of the changing of the guard with Gibbs gone, Murphy taking a back seat to Cripps/SPS/Kennedy, Simpson overtaken by Doc/Williamson etc. We need luck with injuries as depth is still shaky or young.

Ill be interested to see how C Curnow goes - bit more expectation on him this year, how will he handle it? Will Weitering get back to his best (the form he showed in the last 4 or so games) What will McKay do (can we get 20 games and 30 goals out of him?) Will Cuningham get an extended run at AFL footy, if he does then good things could happen, what can SPS do with a full pre-season? Will fisher get more involved with the ball than this year, if he does he is so creative.

Will Polson/Kerr/Lang push for selection and put pressure on these kids who are already best 22, need blokes to push hard for selection.

Marchbank and Plowman another year older and bigger, will jones be as effective, is Rowe still best 22? Can Kruezer play another 22 games - hopefully last year is the normal and not the exception.

Kennedy's inclusion should create some clarity of roles in the midfield rotation and Murphy in particular will benefit by getting back into his more damaging outside role.

I agree with this. Murph looked pretty sore by the end of the year, once he was forced back into an 'inside' role with the injuries to Cripps and Ed. It'll be interesting to see if pick 3 or 10 will have 'inside' capabilities as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back