Opinion Do You Think We Will Take A Step Backwards?

Remove this Banner Ad

People need to realise that 2016 was a disaster for the club. We had a great young coach, and a big group of high draft picks coming into the club. However while Weitering had a good year, the others all suffered significant injuries that delayed their development. Curnow missed most of the year with glandular fever, McKay lost almost the entire year with injury, while Silvagni and Cunners each missed at least half the year with one injury or another.

This set back the rebuild significantly. As a result you could almost argue that this is actually year 1 of the true rebuild.

Maybe.

However I made it clear that it was my opinion - not fact.

Unfortunately I saw the floggings we copped from absolutely s**t teams (* with 12 players out and Brisbane in disarray and playing a heap of kids) at the end of last year.

That didn't fill me with great confidence.

I would be surprised if we avoid bottom 4.

I reckon anyone who thinks we can make top 8 is living in pixie land.

Still sticking with my prediction of most likely only finishing above Brisbane.

Happy with progress being made though - green shoots are a growing.

Still sticking with my prediction of most likely only finishing above Brisbane.

Happy with progress being made though - green shoots are a growing.

I like pixieland .... its choc full of rainbows and unicorns .....

Hmmmmmmmmm ... unicorns.

We were on track to do about the same if not better. The loss of Cripps is critical. We dont have a quality replacement for his clearances meaning we will struggle. He is the only player on our list we cant cover well. It is why Hopper would be a great get.

We have improved in terms of lessening the sickening thrashings. We have improved by now understanding that our experienced fringe players are not up to the challenge. The evidence is in which helps us a lot. The system play has improved and we have got games into kids.

Players that used to get a look in have had their papers stamped: White, Boek, Army, Buckley, and Graham. A few others but these 4 have been around a while.

Everything is progressing quite well but we may not win another game. I'm ok with that.

Cunners, Weiters, Silver, Fisher, Williamson, Macreadie, Marchbank and SPS are all going to be players. That's a great collection from 2 years at the draft/trade table. Others might come good as well.

I think we'll win a similar number of games to this year, but the key difference will be who wins it for us. If we come away with 7-8 wins and our best 22 almost every week includes Weitering, Cuningham, Cripps, Docherty, C. Curnow, McKay, Phillips, Plowman, Marchbank and plenty of other inexperienced guys like Sheehan, Boekhorst, Sumner etc, it's a massive year of improvement.
Not bad...

Look, we finished off the season as the worst team in the league from round 12 onwards and lost to Brisbane and * in the last 3 rounds. :'(

So it's impossible to go backwards.

And yet we have less wins than the same stage last year and are on a 4 game losing streak. :eek:

The next 6 games are critical, starting with a win over Brisbane.

People need to realise that 2016 was a disaster for the club. We had a great young coach, and a big group of high draft picks coming into the club. However while Weitering had a good year, the others all suffered significant injuries that delayed their development. Curnow missed most of the year with glandular fever, McKay lost almost the entire year with injury, while Silvagni and Cunners each missed at least half the year with one injury or another.

This set back the rebuild significantly. As a result you could almost argue that this is actually year 1 of the true rebuild.

Moreover, we were coming off such a low talent base that even if the draftees weren't injured, the team would still have been mostly comprised of 'deckchair' players. By virtue of the draft system we were never going to be able to field a truly 'young' team until at least this year.

I actually believe next year will be the year we go backwards, with losing some mature players and blooding some more youth while trying to introduce an attacking side to our play. Then I am hopeful the spring forward from there should be fairly quick after having 50 games or so into Curnow, Weitering, Silvagni and alike

So from 1/1/18 we'll change the title thread 'Do you think we will take another step backwards?'
Sounds good. :)

If the rumours are true and both Bryce and Levi depart, I think we'd tread water. All the kids will have another year and our forward line is going nowhere in a hurry, so we'd still have the problem of keeping the opposition below 90 points but being impotent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbs is contracted so I'm not worried about him. Levi? Since when has Carlton allowed a player to walk because we won't pay market rates?
It's round 17 and Casboult hasn't signed. There's a whiff of free agency.

Whether either leave, it's their life choice but I think the detrimental impact of them leaving in the overall context of our rebuild is exaggerated.

I think even if we win less games we haven't gone backwards at all. Perhaps other clubs around us have moved forward a bit quicker than we have and hence we don't have as many wins, definitely have not gone backwards at all

The question was asked and The Oracle answered correctly as usual.

My god, do you have chapped lips from blowing your own trumpet?

I recall it being almost universally accepted by Blues supporters that we would take a step back by playing youngsters.

What's the criteria? Wins? Then it is a real possibility next year. Could well depend on getting Kelly or losing Gibbs. Injuries will play a big part as our depth is still poor.

Whatever way I reckon we are still moving forward as a club and by a long way. If someone had said we would be doing this 3 years ago when MM was in charge I would of scoffed.

Now we are heading in the right direction on and off the field. When this all started I thought 2020 was finals time and we have done so well that it may be 2019. If Bolton Trigg & SOS hold their nerve and are patient we will be a top 4 side in 2020 and will have sustained success for years to come.

I think the club would be wrapped with the development of the youth and system in the team.

Given 2017 was the year we were supposed to go backwards I think if all goes to plan next year we will be realistically looking to win 10-12 games.

By "according to plan" I mean:

Acquiring 2-3 midfielders by draft or trade (depending if we hold on to Gibbs)

Not losing anyone to long term injury (especially mids)

Natural progression of our 2nd and third year players!

Defence is set.
Midfield is the key

Universally ???

Try reading the whole thread, there are plenty who said nothing of the sort over 12 months ago.

Okay, there were plenty more who expected to fall in more than one thread. Guess they are all oracles, myself included. I just didn't have the ego to fuel.

We realistically require 4 more gun mids moving forward to replace Gibbs and Murphy. If we can secure Kelly that's three more we need before we can start thinking about finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back