Society & Culture Do you try to love everyone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Take everyone on face value and don't buy into stereotypes.

Most people are fine and are just trying to get on with their lives the best they can, I have met very few absolute arseholes in my life.

I try to see the good in everyone, but sometimes I think, why bother? Most people are caught up in their own problems and lives that they wouldn't give you the time of day to try and "love them"

Basically, those who show respect, gratitude and appreciation to me, ill do the same back.

I try to do this

Bigfooty persona aside. I try to see the good in people, I have certain standards for myself and hope people at least try to match them. Being let down really sucks.

I had someone show her true colours to me recently . I've reacted by ignoring her or avoiding her completely - yet she's clueless as to why.

In my last few years of primary school my nickname was "Scruples", and that description of me was fairly accurate then and now. I've never hated anyone and have always had a strong sense of personal ethics. Anything vaguely hurtful I've ever done is something I still recall today with guilt. Don't road rage. Never follow the mob. Resist the urge to nastily gossip and speculate about others. Have often gotten between the fists and broken up fights. I've never even felt the urge to perve on anyone in my life.

But I'm also an introvert, so I can tend to resent those who regularly annex all my R&R, and those lacking in wit or the ability to think for themselves can be fairly tedious to converse with. Ever since I was a child I would be perfectly content with a hermetic last-person-on-Earth type existence, I don't really need people, which can be a flaw if you are seeking to make the world more lovey dovey. And not everyone will appreciate decency, however strongly projected it is, and many will hate you anyway. Humans will tend to disagree, see things differently, and what is best for others is a perennial and fairly valid example of that. The world in actuality is also pretty dog eat dog, and children complicates that. Genuinely nice people can tend to perish or be cast out in the long run, or feel compelled to adapt. Life isn't really designed for saints to thrive, and a lot of people have been born and nurtured in loveless environments.
I can relate to this. I always need time to myself and am happy to spend a week by myself in seclusion. But as you get older you realise everybody needs someone and to be accepted so the extroverts do have a point. We all need to belong.
And yet there are no guarantees every one just bumbles along

Remove this Banner Ad

Back