Society/Culture Do you understand and accept the importance of neopronouns?

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Who are you to draw that conclusion?

She explicitly says she identifies as a cat.

Why don't you validate her self ID as a cat?

She identifies as a cat. Why don't you regard her as one?

I'm not doing that.

This woman identifies as a cat. Why don't you regard her as a cat?

You're the one taking her identity and reducing it to a sexual fetish. That's gross. Would you say the same about a trans woman? They're not really trans, it's just a kink?

She identifies as a cat.

Why don't you regard her as such? Who are you to police her identity?

If someone identified as a moon but had a job and wore clothes instead of floating in outer space, would you disregard that self ID too?

Suddenly you're not so eager to accommodate? How come?

I bet you thought acknowledging this tyrannical regime of cancel culture being an ‘impulse’ would be your most embarrassing post.

Maddhew

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Countercultures moving the goal posts as they start to get accepted by the mainstream.

This week someone at work put their cis pronouns in their email sig, it started an avalanche of she/hers in the office. Still yet to see anything that isn't bleedingly obvious. Thanks for reading my email, I am a girl.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Countercultures moving the goal posts as they start to get accepted by the mainstream.

This week someone at work put their cis pronouns in their email sig, it started an avalanche of she/hers in the office. Still yet to see anything that isn't bleedingly obvious. Thanks for reading my email, I am a girl.
Any moonselfs yet?

Maddhew

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Any moonselfs yet?
I am more than happy to make an effort to use these pronouns if preferred by someone regardless of sex.

She/Her/Hers
He/Him/His
They/Them/Their

I am not going to participate in anything other than that. I will just call anyone else 'old mate'.

It all seems so counterintuitive if the real goal is to promote acceptance of the trans community by the mainstream. It therefore makes me suspicious of the real intent.

Maddhew

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Pronouns aren't enough. You now have to say your race and hairstyle too.

Throw in an acknowledgement of country at the front and a carbon neutral pledge and we're going to have some really long meetings, which is fitting beacause meetings generally achieve nothing.

hiking

Rookie
Nov 13, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I am more than happy to make an effort to use these pronouns if preferred by someone regardless of sex.

She/Her/Hers
He/Him/His
They/Them/Their

I am not going to participate in anything other than that. I will just call anyone else 'old mate'.

It all seems so counterintuitive if the real goal is to promote acceptance of the trans community by the mainstream. It therefore makes me suspicious of the real intent.
I reckon this is how the majority of people feel to be honest.

hiking

Rookie
Nov 13, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I'm not sure what the "real intent" comment was regarding, but I suppose I was referring to the first part of the post.

Reckoning that the vast majority would be completely understanding using the "he/him", "she/her", or "they/them" to refer to a person, and respecting the title that the receiver prefers to use when/if being informed. But (and probably because I've never encountered it in-person), I think that anything else that's far more eccentric or rare would probably be a hard concept for many people, especially those who see pronouns as fairly conservative and straightforward and something that doesn't need any more confusion.

But without witnessing these situations at all personally, it may in fact be normalised and it's just too abstract at the moment for me to fully understand the importance (of the concept).

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Pronouns only apply in the 3rd person so typically you are not using them in direct conservation with said person. If people are unconformable then just use their name, it takes a bit but you can respect peoples identity as well as not bowing to language dictates. I have navigated this very successfully and harmoniously in my workplace (my best worker is trans)

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Most of this pronoun bullshit can be avoided just by addressing people by name both directly and passively. I've learned to do that. It seem hard at first but you can sidestep so many issues this way.

And if you don't that persons name? "Hey mate", some might take offence to that even though offence is not the intent.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Pronouns only apply in the 3rd person so typically you are not using them in direct conservation with said person. If people are unconformable then just use their name, it takes a bit but you can respect peoples identity as well as not bowing to language dictates. I have navigated this very successfully and harmoniously in my workplace (my best worker is trans)
An alternative suggestion: if someone identifies as a cat, everyone is free to disregard that, and they probably should, because that person is a headcase.

Why should I "respect" something that is obviously nonsense?

I don't do it with religion. I don't "respect" Scientology. Why should I "respect" the nuttier neopronouns?

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
And if you don't that persons name? "Hey mate", some might take offence to that even though offence is not the intent.

True. Whenever I don't know a person's name though I ask around. It helps if they wear noticable stuff of course. "Hey, does anyone know the name of that person who was at the pub last night? Yellow t-shirt with celtic spirals all over it?"

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
True. Whenever I don't know a person's name though I ask around. It helps if they wear noticable stuff of course. "Hey, does anyone know the name of that person who was at the pub last night? Yellow t-shirt with celtic spirals all over it?"

Or at face to face you could just "Hi I'm a sicko what's your name?"

This is what I was hoping to get around to, we shouldn't need to go around asking mates or work colleagues or even worse tip toe around the subject of how to address someone for fear of reprisal.

At my work place or even in public I'll address someone, including strangers by "hey mate", there is no intent to offend. And even though .00000000000000000000001% of the population would be offended, that does not validate any punishment just because I addressed someone with no ill intent.

IF one day I happen to run into this person who takes offence, I'll know my conscience is clear and fk that person! I'll call out the absurdity it is.

Back