Do you want to change your team's game plan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Bevo have a discernible game plan? The flag was riding the wave & good on the Dogs, great hands, no game plan came through IMHO.
Is he trying to develop the group first, there is the core for the future, will it become clearer as experience comes?

There's definitely a game plan. There's better minds than mine that have a more complete understanding but how I see it is we run in waves and use our handballing to cut through the opposition. When we don't have the ball we press our defence up really high and force a kick under pressure. We also play more rebounding defenders than most teams so when we in the ball on turnover we can drive it forward really quickly. We score more by rebound than any other team (or at least did for the majority of the year, not sure if that held up to the end). I don't expect too much change next season, Keath and Bruce should fit into the plan really well.

2016 was pretty similar. We had less marking presence inside 50 so it was more about the smalls. We didn't play so many rebounding defenders because we had better lock down options and because we weren't as good inside so we couldn't risk it. Otherwise it's pretty much the same style.

Interesting conversation, I read in here (or what was alluded to) that the Tiges don't have a game plan, really?! If disallowing the opposition clean position at the cost of chaos possession of your own then that my friends IS a game plan.

Just because it's not surgically clean like a WC or giants doesn't mean it isn't a plan.

I also noticed that there is a mention that their style is the same as the Pies. That is a misnomer. Sure they both play a pressure game the difference being the Pies like to spread to allow them transition rather than the Tiges who like to pressure - win contest - chaos to next contest - pressure - win contest - chaos to next contest - rinse and repeat. Of course they don't do that for the whole 120 mins, they do use transition when able.

The Pies game requires more two way running i:e swarm to outnumber at contest (suffocate the opp) then spread to allow transition - at least in 2018. This year the intention was tweak to "control" the game more (see the win against Rich round 2 or 3 for memory).

Babow - major backfire. Naf please go back to 2018 style.!

Yes

Our gameplan was the worst in the AFL under that fraudster Don Pyke. Slow, short chipping in our back 50 until we eventually panicked and either kicked straight to the opposition or went with a long, high bomb to either Betts or Murphy (our two smallest players). Absolute red hot garbage.

Oh God yes. All my footy-watching life, Geelong was a byword for attacking footy - champagne stuff when it works, kamikaze when it doesn't. Except now.

I felt like Geelong did that really well in the 1st quarter of SF and first half of PF.

They using the corridor a lot more. When eagles and tigers came at them they seemed to freeze a little and slowed their game down.

Difference being in the 4th quarter of SF they went back to being ultra aggressive with quick ball movement while in PF they stuck with their slow boring ball movement.

For West Coast I don’t think their game plan needs to change per se. I love their open style and kick mark game. Just some tinkering with tougher footy and a bit more grunt in the contest ala finals series 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't like our game plan. We still play a back half style of game where we attack from the defence to try and score. The game style has not developed enough as the list has changed. I would more emphasis on winning the midfield battle by, for a start, using some of our better players further up the ground.

Well Essendon kick it down the line to contests too often when exiting their defensive 50, which inevitably results in a turnover and more pressure on our defenders. I expect Caracella to change that since he seems to have been pretty successful at Geelong and Richmond.

I don't like our game plan. We still play a back half style of game where we attack from the defence to try and score. The game style has not developed enough as the list has changed. I would more emphasis on winning the midfield battle by, for a start, using some of our better players further up the ground.

The game plan needs to evolve to max the talent available .....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting conversation, I read in here (or what was alluded to) that the Tiges don't have a game plan, really?! If disallowing the opposition clean position at the cost of chaos possession of your own then that my friends IS a game plan.

Just because it's not surgically clean like a WC or giants doesn't mean it isn't a plan.

I also noticed that there is a mention that their style is the same as the Pies. That is a misnomer. Sure they both play a pressure game the difference being the Pies like to spread to allow them transition rather than the Tiges who like to pressure - win contest - chaos to next contest - pressure - win contest - chaos to next contest - rinse and repeat. Of course they don't do that for the whole 120 mins, they do use transition when able.

The Pies game requires more two way running i:e swarm to outnumber at contest (suffocate the opp) then spread to allow transition - at least in 2018. This year the intention was tweak to "control" the game more (see the win against Rich round 2 or 3 for memory).

Babow - major backfire. Naf please go back to 2018 style.!
Richmond don’t rely on chaos possession. Frantic attack at the ball to cause turnover perhaps, but our run forward is based on play on forward handball and a precision kick to a tall forward.

Richmond don’t rely on chaos possession. Frantic attack at the ball to cause turnover perhaps, but our run forward is based on play on forward handball and a precision kick to a tall forward.

sounds like you're splitting straws here.

No. Frantic attack on the ball and player with the ball is different to chaos footy. Easy for the casual observer to make the assumption you do though.

Oh please. Nice try and acting like some footy intellectual.

Richmond bang the ball 20-30 metres forward to a contest, then bang the ball 20-30 metres forward to another contest, and so on.

Richmond are a pressure team, definitely. One of the ways that they apply that pressure is by using the chaos ball.

"Precision kicks" are not something I have ever heard used to describe 2017-2019 Richmond.

Oh please. Nice try and acting like some footy intellectual.

Richmond bang the ball 20-30 metres forward to a contest, then bang the ball 20-30 metres forward to another contest, and so on.

Richmond are a pressure team, definitely. One of the ways that they apply that pressure is by using the chaos ball.

"Precision kicks" are not something I have ever heard used to describe 2017-2019 Richmond.
Perhaps watch some of our games and you can get a better idea of how we play. I think you are still stuck in 2017.

Richmond were second last in contested possessions in 2019. Hardly a sign they rely on banging the ball from contest to contest. They just don’t win enough contested ball to be able to sustain that.

We play to the strengths of the team we have. We lack some polish and class outside and as a result it was a chore to watch this season I admit.

Would like to recruit a few pacey kids and play a bit more run and gun football. Certainly didn't score enough in 2019. Would take the risk that it falls apart occasionally defensively if it meant we can score heavily again.

Ours is simple. Pressure at the contest to force turnover. Then spread and run like hell with forward handball. Love this gamestyle. Even if we do turn it over, it's usually going forward, and our deep defender can come up and intercept the counterattack. Prefer to mess it up going forward than when you're chipping it around sideways and backwards. The forward handball also means we don't defer pressure i.e. handball it to a guy under pressure cause you're about to get tackled.

Lastly, if in doubt, give the ball to Dusty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back