Dob in a Don

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
So I get a text message from the club saying:

Know someone who hasn't signed up to Be A Bomber? Copy the msg below & share it with any fans who are yet to Don the Sash in 2024!

Followed by the message I'm meant to send to someone:

I am officially nominating you in Essendon's DOB IN A DON program. Sign up here <<link>> to start your commitment as a Bomber for 2024.

I imagine a whole bunch of you got this message too if you're a member and I'm starting this thread to get your thoughts, mainly because I see this as crossing a line in some ways and not sure if it really is in other people's opinion.

To me Essendon seem completely out of touch with their fan and membership base and programs like this are further money grabs on top of all their other crap they expect us to shell out for...

I'm still not sure why I renewed my own membership this year outside of "loyalty" and being too lazy to call up and cancel my auto-renew, let alone recommend being a member to anyone else.

Then again, maybe I should respect the laziness of the club wanting me to do their membership drive for them.

/End rant.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:

I imagine a whole bunch of you got this message to if you're a member and I'm starting this thread to get your thoughts, mainly because I see this as crossing a line in some ways and not sure if it really is in other people's opinion.

To me Essendon seem completely out of touch with their fan and membership base and programs like this are further money grabs on top of all their other crap they expect us to shell out for...

I'm still not sure why I renewed my own membership this year outside of "loyalty" and being too lazy to call up and cancel my auto-renew, let alone recommend being a member to anyone else.

Then again, maybe I should respect the laziness of the club wanting me to do their membership drive for them.

/End rant.

I rolled my eyes when I got that message

Remember that scene in Seinfeld when George was selling computers:

"Do you want an Essendon Membership?..."

"No? Why Not?..."

"OK.. good answer. Thank you."

:D

A pretty good fit, but I can't imagine anyone from Essendon thinking any answer but "Yes I'll buy 4 memberships please, 5 tickets to the Crichton and I'll sponsor a player too because they need the extra money" was a good answer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d have gone with ‘put your money where your mouth is’ …. ‘Stop whinging about our performance when you’re not even a member, Pay up and then you’ll have something to complain about’
I did that for about 11-12 years (maybe longer) and worked out that it isn't money they are lacking...
I am whingeing - I have *ing earned it!

I imagine a whole bunch of you got this message too if you're a member and I'm starting this thread to get your thoughts, mainly because I see this as crossing a line in some ways and not sure if it really is in other people's opinion.

/End rant.

We're in a cost of living crisis and the club's solution is to have people publicly shamed for cutting back on discretionary spending.

Not the first time a club has used this type of marketing. Think the problem is more in the name. Would have been better to go with something like reconnect a Don.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back