Dockers take Peake under F/S

Remove this Banner Ad

hows F/S rule work, wouldnt you just grab him with ya last pick since hes in the bag already

Different set of circumstances now I know, but if Brian Peake went to Geelong for season 2004, he'd struggle in today's style of game.

Greg Williams would thrive in any era, he was that damn good, same with Darren Jarman, but Peake was nowhere near as good as those two.

He was a strong, hulking, muscle bound, slowish centreman, could get the ball, some fantastic disposal skills, but he didn't like being rushed or pressured.

Being raised in today's footy environment, probably ensures that Peake JNR will be up to speed for this generation, lets hope he has some of his Dad's sublime skills

Peake jnr looks to be the opposite of that description, while he is a very good tackler he seems to be more of an outside player with a bit of speed and endurance.

Some people say hes only being picked up because of his name but hes been training with the dockers for the last few weeks so i think they have a pretty good idea of his ability

Is there an age limit to the F/S rule?

I mean if Ben Cousins did a Wayne Carey and suddenly left the WCE at age 27 could Geelong still pick him up with a 3rd rd pick under the rule :confused:

Maybe you can you only be selected under the F/S rule once in your career?

Originally posted by BigCat1
Is there an age limit to the F/S rule?

I mean if Ben Cousins did a Wayne Carey and suddenly left the WCE at age 27 could Geelong still pick him up with a 3rd rd pick under the rule :confused:

Maybe you can you only be selected under the F/S rule once in your career?

Different nomination procedures.

A player who has never been listed is one type of nomination.

Delisted players are a second type of nomination.

Out-of-contract players are another tpye of nomination.

I think that is how it works, and it is only the category A guys who are elligable.

Brian Peake was at his best one of the best players around. Was never played in the centre long enough at Geelong (Peter Featherby player there and Goggin played him across half back, on flanks and occaisionally on the ball) See how Greg Williams would have gone on the Half Back Flank. Also was commuting to Geelong for the first year from Perth!

Peake was a Tassie medallist (Best in Interstate Carnival) Thrice All Australian from the Carnivals and interstate games, kicked 7 at full forward in a state of origin game (when they actually meant something) having never played at full forward before.

Three times premiership player, 6 times Lynn Medallist. EF team of the century. Best EF player that I've seen, including S.Black, Cousins, Mainwaring, Sewell, Purser, Woewodin, Melrose and the 22 players currently at AFL clubs and many others. Future AFL hall of fame 400+ senior games. Best palyer in WA from about 75 to 79.

A slow hulking player, balderdash. If Brett's half as good he'll play 200 quality games.

Dumb move Freo.

Not saying the kid cant play, but do you realy believe any other club would have taken him in the third round ? I think not.

You would have been much better taking the best player available and used your fifth pick on Peake as he would have still been around.

You have sacrificed a third round draft pick for a huge punt.

I hope I am wrong and the kids a jet, but I suspect not.

Originally posted by RIPPER_46
At this stage we will only have 3 picks so it doesn't matter.

If you are only intenting to exercise 3 picks then its an even more surprising selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it does depend on what you already have on your list. Fremantle is going for a young side that in a couple of years will be a real solid team. Pav who is only 22/23 is obv a captian/leader of the future. Their strenght is their age.

Their list this year was I think 35 but with heaps of kids who are slowly developing through the WAFL, 3 have just come up from their rookie list. ( and they had a solid backline which was the no names because no one knew who they were)

Remember how brissie built its powerhouse, a few leaders and then real good drafts. Simon Black is the obvious there.

Nowadays you cant buy a premiership (PLS NOTE EDDIES OF THIS WORLD).....

and peake is a good choice. East Fremantle have provided some of the gems of the AFL through the draft...... and believe me thats real hard to acknowledge , Im a red and white bulldog.

3rd most prolific tackler in the WAFL this year averaging 5.05 tackles a game.

Farron Ray is expected to go top 10.

The two of them went head to head and here are the stats.

Originally posted by West Coast Stre
Made his debut in the WAFL seniors for Peel Thunder today.

Total Disposals, 20
Kicks, 17
Handballs, 3
Marks, 4
Handballs Received, 5
Goals, 1
Tackles, 4
Free Kicks for, 0
Free Kicks against, 2
Inside 50, 3

Another player of some interest is Brett Peake
Total Disposals, 28
Kicks, 20
Handballs, 8
Marks, 4
Handballs Received, 9
Goals, 3
Tackles, 3
Free Kicks for, 1
Free Kicks against, 1
Inside 50, 6

ON 26/7/2003

Originally posted by theferrett
and peake is a good choice. East Fremantle have provided some of the gems of the AFL through the draft...... and believe me thats real hard to acknowledge , Im a red and white bulldog.

Thats very gracious of you Ferrett , I was pleased that Gilmore and Mott were promoted even though they come from the wrong side of town. ;)

yeah,
have you heard though that Farron Ray is breaking all sorts of records at the AFL camp, so if Peake went with him on the stats sheeet and did alright, we are on a good thing. (damn this is hard sometimes, being a red and white)

Well guys you seem both convinced and happy at the choice of Peake,

I hope you are correct. I will watch with anticipation the development of Peake V Ray . Big call that Peake better than Ray.

By the way : Yes an excellent choice with Sandilands but at 211 cm very much worth a punt as players this height are as scarce as rocking horse s..t.

Either way lets ensure the cup comes West SOON.

Originally posted by theferrett
yeah,
have you heard though that Farron Ray is breaking all sorts of records at the AFL camp, so if Peake went with him on the stats sheeet and did alright, we are on a good thing. (damn this is hard sometimes, being a red and white)

The list of players who get mega-stats playing on Ray is allready long and growing. Phil Georgious got a bucketload of touches when Vic Metro played WA.

even though they come from the wrong side of town

yeah is suppose that what makes the Dockers quite special, a greaty city divided by its football team and now they have come together followed by a bunch of idiots who love purple. I love it.

Originally posted by themoose
Brian Peake was at his best one of the best players around. Was never played in the centre long enough at Geelong (Peter Featherby player there and Goggin played him across half back, on flanks and occaisionally on the ball) See how Greg Williams would have gone on the Half Back Flank. Also was commuting to Geelong for the first year from Perth!

Peake was a Tassie medallist (Best in Interstate Carnival) Thrice All Australian from the Carnivals and interstate games, kicked 7 at full forward in a state of origin game (when they actually meant something) having never played at full forward before.

Three times premiership player, 6 times Lynn Medallist. EF team of the century. Best EF player that I've seen, including S.Black, Cousins, Mainwaring, Sewell, Purser, Woewodin, Melrose and the 22 players currently at AFL clubs and many others. Future AFL hall of fame 400+ senior games. Best palyer in WA from about 75 to 79.

A slow hulking player, balderdash. If Brett's half as good he'll play 200 quality games.

Yep, playing for Geelong, he was a slow hulking player, remember, as I am so often reminded, the VFL was several steps up from the WAFL.

Peake put on lots of muscle mass, to his detriment in the VFL, he didn't have the pace needed at that level

BTW, look at others who have won a Tassie Medal, Graham Cornes, Graham Molloy, Peter Eakins plus others, it is no shining endorsement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back