Autopsy Dockers vs Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Hogan looked the goods. Hope he keeps his head on and plays more.

Acres toweled us up.

Midfield was on fire, destroyed us in the clearances.

Conca great on Dusty but IMO Dusty was sort of having a day off to rest.

Young players look good but some of the better players are getting old.

Plenty of good players in key roles. Lobb/Darcy ruck combo is good. Hogan should play forward with Taberner. Ryan having a great year.

Tried our guts out but not good enough - no surprise there. Very happy with most of the team.

I just wish we could get better treatment from the maggots. Shafted us on a few occasions tonight especially when we were close.

Still really optimistic for our future but we definitely need more class up forward.

Are you for real? Freo absolutely got the rub of the green, especially in the middle 2 quarters when the count was 12-2 your way and the scoreline got closer.

Taberner's only goal came from an absolute joke and probably should have gone the other way, or at least play on.

Yeah this. I do like Hogan moving up the group giving an option on the lead, I think it really helps us even if he's marking it at halfway not in the 50.

Schultz, been decent. Frederick thereabouts. Walters more of a HFF really now. Crowden the same. Need Sturt in plus a quality small forward to really top it off. Henry isn't that player. Others will have seen more but watching him last year he was more of a wing/HFF than an outright small forward.

Honestly I think it isn't so much the personnel down there though. It's a combination of:
-Slow movement allows the opposition to set up more easily behind the ball
-Forwards either too static or not co-ordinated (see: Tabs/Hogan plus Schultz at FF)
-Mids picking weird options either on the basis of coaching instructions or because everyone in the 50 is static and the best option is actually a bomb to the pocket.

He was that good up the ground it makes you wonder if he could do a Matthew Richardson-like move onto the wing.

Lobb/Tab foward, Darcy ruck, Hogan wing. When Darcy's on the bench, Lobb ruck, Hogan forward.

Yeah that was the first game I've seen we're most 50/50s went our way. They still missed a few each way. I feel like you're allowed to drop it if they umpire feels like you haven't had prior opportunity. ... That's the only way I can make sense of it atm.

Are you for real? Freo absolutely got the rub of the green, especially in the middle 2 quarters when the count was 12-2 your way and the scoreline got closer.

Taberner's only goal came from an absolute joke and probably should have gone the other way, or at least play on.
Ha ha ha - were you listening to the pro Richmond commentators by any chance? I did love how they completely glossed over the arm around Tabs' neck but were so adamant it should have been a free kick the other way because of the jumper tug.

You guys got your first two goals as a result of dubious free kicks as well from memory.

FWIW I thought the umpiring advantaged each side at different times (5-0 to Richmond early on for instance) and then balanced out to Freo later on. I cracked up laughing when I read Richmond supporters complaining about the umpires. But the comments about how you weren't trying made me smile the most. If we escape with a win like you guys did I'm not sure taking cracks at the opposition is the 'smart' move but we are talking Richmond supporters.

Perhaps someone can reassure me here, but I am beginning to become concerned regarding the team's trajectory, as last season the club was triumphant against Greater Western Sydney, Port Adelaide, Geelong and Gold Coast, yet this year we've beaten none of those teams. Our win/loss record also makes for a slightly lesser achievement, and the forward line is still bereft of all functionality. I know this year is very much an aberration, but do we have cause for concern?

its kind of funny how if we were scoring like this with Ross as the coach everyone would be like OMG ROSS STOP FLOODING BACK. NEGATIVE FOOTBALL.

Yeah that was the first game I've seen we're most 50/50s went our way. They still missed a few each way. I feel like you're allowed to drop it if they umpire feels like you haven't had prior opportunity. ... That's the only way I can make sense of it atm.

we got killed in the first quarter then it went our way from that point onwards.

Ha ha ha - were you listening to the pro Richmond commentators by any chance? I did love how they completely glossed over the arm around Tabs' neck but were so adamant it should have been a free kick the other way because of the jumper tug.

You guys got your first two goals as a result of dubious free kicks as well from memory.

FWIW I thought the umpiring advantaged each side at different times (5-0 to Richmond early on for instance) and then balanced out to Freo later on. I cracked up laughing when I read Richmond supporters complaining about the umpires. But the comments about how you weren't trying made me smile the most. If we escape with a win like you guys did I'm not sure taking cracks at the opposition is the 'smart' move but we are talking Richmond supporters.

Yes the commentators were pro-Richmond. Most of the time I keep it as low as possible and sometimes I mute it altogether so I don't have to listen to turds like Gary Lyon.

Graham free kick was dubious indeed. I would have paid HTB. Which was the second one?

Agree re: umpiring, but to suggest Fremantle was robbed by the umpires as an assessment of the entire game is wrong.

And yes I don't think Richmond were switched on. I think they showed up expecting to win and almost got their pants pulled down so they pulled a finger our in the last quarter after a spray from the coach. Drives me crazy but sometimes I honestly think they just show up and take the points and put the cue in the rack for periods.

Agree re: umpiring, but to suggest Fremantle was robbed by the umpires as an assessment of the entire game is wrong.
Yeah I agree - umpires had little impact. The only thing I wish they'd tighten up with a lot of the top teams is the throws or incorrect disposals. Soldo should have been done about 4 times in a row for holding the ball at one point. We had it last week as well that whenever we'd tackle a player they'd just drop the ball and take the tackler out of the contest so a teammate can come in pick it up and keep the ball moving. Clever of the teams to exploit it, I'm not sure it's football though.

We lost because our forward line is still dysfunctional. You could tell that by Hardwick's face at 3/4 time that you guys were trying and were getting pumped in every other part of the game.

My favourite comment from your BF board btw was Freo bringing Richmond down to their level and a low scoring slog. Only one team played two players behind the ball to make it a defensive scrap. It wasn't Freo.

Yeah I agree - umpires had little impact. The only thing I wish they'd tighten up with a lot of the top teams is the throws or incorrect disposals. Soldo should have been done about 4 times in a row for holding the ball at one point. We had it last week as well that whenever we'd tackle a player they'd just drop the ball and take the tackler out of the contest so a teammate can come in pick it up and keep the ball moving. Clever of the teams to exploit it, I'm not sure it's football though.

We lost because our forward line is still dysfunctional. You could tell that by Hardwick's face at 3/4 time that you guys were trying and were getting pumped in every other part of the game.

My favourite comment from your BF board btw was Freo bringing Richmond down to their level and a low scoring slog. Only one team played two players behind the ball to make it a defensive scrap. It wasn't Freo.

I'm not fussed by the 'slog' as such. That's football, sometimes it flows sometimes it doesn't. It's a game of attrition.

I actually preferred the interpretation of HTB from earlier this year where they were paying it much more freely like the 80's. They've since gone back to the usual 'feel free to drop it' crap.

Not surprised we played extra guys back when our only two 'tall defenders' are Noah Balta with 20 odd games and Nathan Broad standing at 192cm.

If you had said to me 12 months ago, after winning a flag, that Richmond would be playing without any of Rance, Astbury and Grimes but somehow still winning games I would be shocked!

Going to have to agree to disagree on one point. Not refuting that they were trying > I just don't think they were trying going 100% and were probably expecting the win to come easier. Complacent!

He was that good up the ground it makes you wonder if he could do a Matthew Richardson-like move onto the wing.

Lobb/Tab foward, Darcy ruck, Hogan wing. When Darcy's on the bench, Lobb ruck, Hogan forward.

He is a pure CHF really. Not a 1:1 static marking threat but really leads well plus a great field kick. Hopefully he can really help that connection we lack mids to forwards.

Not surprised we played extra guys back when our only two 'tall defenders' are Noah Balta with 20 odd games and Nathan Broad standing at 192cm.
We know the feeling. We had Cox at 194cm and Ryan at 187cm as our two key defenders. We've been missing 6-12 of our best 22 since the start of the season and coming off a 4 day break flying from the other side of the country. But I'm sure you knew all that because the commentators must have mentioned at least one of those facts at some point during their two and a half hours of commentary?

I shouldn't be taking it out on you. You've been pretty respectful here. Just found a lot of your fellow BF mates were pretty disrespectful about what Freo put up against Richmond yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hogan looked the goods. Hope he keeps his head on and plays more.

Acres toweled us up.

Midfield was on fire, destroyed us in the clearances.

Conca great on Dusty but IMO Dusty was sort of having a day off to rest.

Young players look good but some of the better players are getting old.

Plenty of good players in key roles. Lobb/Darcy ruck combo is good. Hogan should play forward with Taberner. Ryan having a great year.

You were missing Astley and Grimes.

The majority of the frees against Tigers were in marking contests where a small Richmond defender was raping a Freo tall ie Hogan on Bakerl. Majority of the time we marked the ball anyway and which isn't an advantage.

How many times did the tigers throw ball or drop the ball in a tackle?

We know the feeling. We had Cox at 194cm and Ryan at 187cm as our two key defenders. We've been missing 6-12 of our best 22 since the start of the season and coming off a 4 day break flying from the other side of the country. But I'm sure you knew all that because the commentators must have mentioned at least one of those facts at some point during their two and a half hours of commentary?

I shouldn't be taking it out on you. You've been pretty respectful here. Just found a lot of your fellow BF mates were pretty disrespectful about what Freo put up against Richmond yesterday.

I enjoy talking football (nobody cares where I work/live). I'm not interested in antagonising people...

How many times did the tigers throw ball or drop the ball in a tackle?

A lot. Our players did it too. It seemed much less than Richmond, but I wonder if it is just something people see with tinted glasses. And/or good teams do it more because they are better trained in what they can get away with.

Dropping the ball is actually allowed if it is a "genuine attempt" after being immediately tackled, but adjudicating that is such a grey area. Holding the ball is a complete mess and they keep making it worse and worse.

A lot. Our players did it too. It seemed much less than Richmond, but I wonder if it is just something people see with tinted glasses. And/or good teams do it more because they are better trained in what they can get away with.

Dropping the ball is actually allowed if it is a "genuine attempt" after being immediately tackled, but adjudicating that is such a grey area. Holding the ball is a complete mess and they keep making it worse and worse.

Very measured response.

Yes it goes both ways.

My biggest frustration with umpires is that just like football teams they tend to 'lift for finals' and put the whistle away, only calling the obvious ones and letter the weak ones go. Makes for a better game.

Very measured response.

Yes it goes both ways.

My biggest frustration with umpires is that just like football teams they tend to 'lift for finals' and put the whistle away, only calling the obvious ones and letter the weak ones go. Makes for a better game.
Look I wish make the rule simple.

You get tackle and you don’t kick it or hand pass it, then it’s holding the ball. Simple, no interpretations.

Well i said before the game keep it under 5 goals defeat and would be a positive result.

I am pleased though Jlo and serong weren't and aren't happy with honourable losses and no excuses for the loss. That's pleasing they aren't satisfied with pushing these teams they want to beat them.

The best commentators make it sound easy and certainly don't try and over-complicate it. She sounds like she is trying way too hard.

Yeah she definitely is, she's one of many trying to emulate Cometti and failing miserably at it. You don't need to tell jokes, impress us with your witticisms or personally appeal to us in other ways, just call the game organically and people will warm to you.

We need some outside run. Maybe Polec will be available.

Edit: sorry guys, forgot to put a wink at the end.
Evidently The West are reading your posts...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back