Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

First game I had attended at Etihad since the LED signage was installed last year and when I walked in it looked fantastic with all the Blue and White, felt like a genuine home game. Next minute the siren goes and I get hit with the brightest red Toyota advertising, for the first 10 minutes I couldn't make out a thing. I'm not sure if my eyes adjusted to it or they dialled down the crazy but it was bad.

When the advertising was darker colours not a problem but they should at least pause the signs when a set shot is happening, it must be off putting.

First game I had attended at Etihad since the LED signage was installed last year and when I walked in it looked fantastic with all the Blue and White, felt like a genuine home game. Next minute the siren goes and I get hit with the brightest red Toyota advertising, for the first 10 minutes I couldn't make out a thing. I'm not sure if my eyes adjusted to it or they dialled down the crazy but it was bad.

When the advertising was darker colours not a problem but they should at least pause the signs when a set shot is happening, it must be off putting.

I'm not usually bothered by it but on Sunday it was ridiculously bright in the first quarter. I've noticed usually it is bright pre game and then when the game starts the Toyota red dulls down to normal. Maybe the forgot to turn down the brightness

I'm not usually bothered by it but on Sunday it was ridiculously bright in the first quarter. I've noticed usually it is bright pre game and then when the game starts the Toyota red dulls down to normal. Maybe the forgot to turn down the brightness

At the game last night. For the first half watched the game on 3rd level and found advertising mildly annoying. But second half we stood behind seating on level 1 and OMG when that bright red coates hire advertising flashed across it is really distracting (didn't need this considering how frustrating it was to watch the Lions last night). I wonder if it is noticeable or distracting for the players. There should be some sort of ruling against moveable advertising whilst the game is going on.

At the game last night. For the first half watched the game on 3rd level and found advertising mildly annoying. But second half we stood behind seating on level 1 and OMG when that bright red coates hire advertising flashed across it is really distracting (didn't need this considering how frustrating it was to watch the Lions last night). I wonder if it is noticeable or distracting for the players. There should be some sort of ruling against moveable advertising whilst the game is going on.
The players are so focussed on the ball/team-mates/oppostition/goalposts/umpires I highly doubt moving LEDs are going to distract them. It's just a step up from the man on the mark jumping and swaying, or the cheer-squads waving giant pom-poms. It's not cricket where the players are looking for a tiny ball at 100+kmh. That and with the amount they're paid, unless it's actually unsafe, they can suck it up! :p

Would luv it if the first row or two were removed, and the boundary moved out. Bigger ovals make for more one on ones and attractive footy imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this not a good enough reason ?

I'm sure clippers and lakers fans hate other arenas simply because is is not the staples centre.

I'm sure Liverpool fans hate other stadiums because it isn't Anfield..
Thats probably fair in disliking a ground because its not your home ground. But you can't fit all of the Melbourne based teams at the MCG, so there is a need for another stadium. Etihad (for all its flaws) is still a very good stadium that is better than most in this country

Thats probably fair in disliking a ground because its not your home ground. But you can't fit all of the Melbourne based teams at the MCG, so there is a need for another stadium. Etihad (for all its flaws) is still a very good stadium that is better than most in this country

which is why the current proposal to spend a few hundred million on redeveloping it is pointless. almost all of eithads flaws are that its simply not the MCG.
the fact its not the MCG wont change no matter how much money is spent on it.

hell you could turn it into an exact replica of the MCG right down to the flying rats invading the pitch and everyone outside of the 27K crowd would still complain that its not the MCG.

Apart from Melbourne's shocking record at the ground there are a few reasons I don't like the ground as much, despite the fact the grounds a lot closer to my house than the G.

Design Reasons:
- Wrong orientation of the ground means the roof can't be open on a nice day. Last weekend was a good example. It's weird going to a day game on a sunny day and feeling like you are at a night game.
- Level 1 is a lot smaller and harder to get GA seats in, so you can't get yell and get into the game as much. The view when standing out the back on level 1 is also pretty bad, compared to MCG where I often just stand.

Management Reasons:
- You know your team is making less money playing there.
- Level 2 always being almost empty with little avenues to re-sell seats.
- Bottles of water are $7.
- It takes about a minute for a card transaction to go through and the readers don't have pay-pass.
- Strict food policies
- Scanners not reading tickets on a phone and not allowing you to print them off at the game when buying other tickets.

Seating on Level 3 is better than level 4 at the G and with a buy-out presumably the management and deals for clubs would get better so their would be less feeling of being ripped off when you go there. You can't do much about the design but making level 2 tickets easier to get or cheaper or being less strict on seating would make the experience better when the turnout is low.

With a couple of minor tweaks the experience could be improved a lot.

Apart from Melbourne's shocking record at the ground there are a few reasons I don't like the ground as much, despite the fact the grounds a lot closer to my house than the G.

Design Reasons:
- Wrong orientation of the ground means the roof can't be open on a nice day. Last weekend was a good example. It's weird going to a day game on a sunny day and feeling like you are at a night game.
- Level 1 is a lot smaller and harder to get GA seats in, so you can't get yell and get into the game as much. The view when standing out the back on level 1 is also pretty bad, compared to MCG where I often just stand.

Management Reasons:
- It takes about a minute for a card transaction to go through and the readers don't have pay-pass.
- Strict food policies
- Scanners not reading tickets on a phone and not allowing you to print them off at the game when buying other tickets.

Seating on Level 3 is better than level 4 at the G and with a buy-out presumably the management and deals for clubs would get better so their would be less feeling of being ripped off when you go there. You can't do much about the design but making level 2 tickets easier to get or cheaper or being less strict on seating would make the experience better when the turnout is low.

You know your team is making less money playing there.
Isnt that a real good reason to attend?

You know your team is making less money playing there.
Isnt that a real good reason to attend?
I guess it is, but when you are already at a game and the crowd is 27,000 you know the club would likely be making more money if it had the same crowd at the MCG. It just contributes to the whole feeling of being ripped off that you can sometimes feel when you are there.

Design Reasons:

Management Reasons:
- Strict food policies

How about some legit reasons rather than made up stories. Water is nowhere near $7 at Etihad - it's a sports stadium not a hotel room!

How about some legit reasons rather than made up stories. Water is nowhere near $7 at Etihad - it's a sports stadium not a hotel room!
I was there last weekend and a pump bottle was $6.80. Obviously no one is forcing you to buy it and I just drank out of the taps in the toilets but I s**t you not that was the price.

Those yellow 4 and 20 pies seats are an affront to the eyes.
Hey I was sitting in those seats at the Dees vs Saints game! It was also my first game at Etihad since the LED's (and also the new improved scoreboard which went in around the same time or a year earlier perhaps). On Level 3, the LED was no issue at all.

I was there last weekend and a pump bottle was $6.80. Obviously no one is forcing you to buy it and I just drank out of the taps in the toilets but I s**t you not that was the price.

you do realise you can bring your own food in right.
Step 1: bring a bag full of everything you need (minus cans and grog)
Step 2: tell security you have allergies and these foods meet your dietary requirements
Step 3: ???
Step 4: technically, profit.

You are clueless. What he is saying about the prices are bloody correct.
I nearly fell over the few times I been there and brought some snacks and drink to find out what they told me it cost was actually their prices.
The whole joint is there just to screw football fans over. I will try to eat before the next time I get there so I never buy anything there again.
Really would love to see the day it is bulldozed over. Will personally celebrate that event, if and when it happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back