Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't hate it either but i do have a couple of things that annoy me about it
- Stadium is badly positioned so on nice days when the roof can be opened it's not so great
- Everything is really expensive despite the come down in prices
- GA is shoved up all the way to level 3

Also i wish my team would win there every once and a while!

I pay my $500 a year for redlegs membership and when Melbourne play a home game at etihad stadium I have to go to level 3 or cram into some spot at level 1. I would say this is the main reason Melbourne supporters don't go to etihad home matches.

I pay my $500 a year for redlegs membership and when Melbourne play a home game at etihad stadium I have to go to level 3 or cram into some spot at level 1. I would say this is the main reason Melbourne supporters don't go to etihad home matches.
So is it the actual stadium or they way it is ran thats the problem?

So is it the actual stadium or they way it is ran thats the problem?
I'm quite happy to go to the stadium, I actually think it's a good stadium. However I pay for a premium membership and I would like the equivalent of what I get at the mcg, which is seats on the second level and a function room. I'm not sure what etihad based teams get for their premium memberships, surely there's something similar to this. Maybe I'm whingeing and not doing the snobby, snow going Melbourne supporter image any favours, but I feel if I pay a premium price I want premium service even if it's just one game.

I don't hate it either but i do have a couple of things that annoy me about it
- Stadium is badly positioned so on nice days when the roof can be opened it's not so great
- Everything is really expensive despite the come down in prices
- GA is shoved up all the way to level 3

Also i wish my team would win there every once and a while!
- Wear sunglasses
- Bring your own lunch
- The view is actually much better from level 3 than level 1.

I've never understood the hate for Docklands, it's a quality venue.

Does anyone know if there is a easy way to buy unused Medallion club tickets for a single game?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Expecting a lot of hate and anger to flow into this form after seeing the news tonight

It can't be helped that the match is a sellout.
If you want to avoid disappointment you pre purchase tickets plus arrive early. It really is that simple.
The only real people that can be frowned upon would be the saints reserved seat members that did not show up.
The stadium can't help it if they have no more tickets to sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Etihad Stadium $300m revamp plans unveiled
Story: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...d/news-story/58b7f7cd8edc60515bed660222014280

THE AFL’s plans for a $300 million revamp of Etihad Stadium include a new waterside stadium gateway, open-air bars, restaurants, parks and a running track.

A secret AFL proposal handed to the Andrews Government, which has been obtained by the Herald Sun, outlines the massive revamp of the run-down stadium.

AFL chiefs have presented a glossy 32-page document, titled “Docklands Reimagined”, to Premier Daniel Andrews and Sport Minister John Eren.

The league hopes the Etihad overhaul will kill off a rival plan from Collingwood president Eddie McGuire to build a $1 billion new stadium near the MCG.

Under the AFL’s proposal:

$300m would be pumped into rejuvenating Etihad Stadium and the precinct;

THE arena would open out to Harbour Esplanade and a sprawling waterfront entertainment zone;

A RUNNING track would wind its way around the ground, a giant rock climbing wall built, with grassed parkland; and

COMMUNITY yoga classes on the Etihad playing surface are also in the document.

The revamp will not see any increase to the 54,000-seat capacity but the facade and stands will be upgraded once the AFL wrests control of the venue from its private owners.

“Etihad Stadium is tired and run down,” the pitch document concedes.

“It is 16 years old and provides fans an experience for the year 2000 — not 2016 and beyond.

“It’s not fully integrated into the Docklands precinct, Melbourne’s CBD and the waterfront.

“It does not provide a 365-day destination for the Victorian community. The stadium has never truly reached its potential.”

The AFL hints that a revamped Etihad Stadium would be a major vote winner for the government.

“Involvement in this project would ensure the Andrews Government’s legacy as a dynamic, visionary government,” the document says.

“Importantly, this would be achieved for a fraction of the cost of stadium projects in other states.”

FFS!
Either bulldoze the bullshit stadium or rebuild it with the goals facing right direction and roof angle allow proper sunlight for real bloody grass to grow all over the ground.

Everything else is just window dressing compared with the surface and ability to be an open stadium to sunlight.

Wonder who came up with community yoga sessions being held on the playing surface... that's sure to be a money spinner :rolleyes:

16 years is run down now? Jesus, demolish the MCG's great southern stand now and in 6 years it's time for the northern stand to go as well.

But Football Park and Subi were fine, because the AFL has priorities.

16 years is run down now? Jesus, demolish the MCG's great southern stand now and in 6 years it's time for the northern stand to go as well.

But Football Park and Subi were fine, because the AFL has priorities.
The GSS did just have a facelift :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good of Eddie to add a few facts to the future costs at Etihad - so much for the magic pudding economics that will eliminate the financial impost of playing there:
... there was a need to revamp Etihad Stadium, a relatively new stadium that has aged quickly.

Construction on Etihad Stadium - also known variously as Telstra Dome, Colonial Stadium and Docklands Stadium - finished in 2000 at a cost of $460 million.

"It is a really good ground ...but ...it was the last one built before Wi-Fi; it was the first built with moveable seats - the technology doesn't work," Mr McGuire said.

"The roof at some stage will need repairing.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/decision-needed-on-etihad-stadium-eddie-mcguire-20160618-gpm7ke.html#ixzz4C3fh5bde

Good of Eddie to add a few facts to the future costs at Etihad - so much for the magic pudding economics that will eliminate the financial impost of playing there:
... there was a need to revamp Etihad Stadium, a relatively new stadium that has aged quickly.

Construction on Etihad Stadium - also known variously as Telstra Dome, Colonial Stadium and Docklands Stadium - finished in 2000 at a cost of $460 million.

"It is a really good ground ...but ...it was the last one built before Wi-Fi; it was the first built with moveable seats - the technology doesn't work," Mr McGuire said.

"The roof at some stage will need repairing.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/decision-needed-on-etihad-stadium-eddie-mcguire-20160618-gpm7ke.html#ixzz4C3fh5bde

Literally says nothing new - certainly very short on any new 'facts". We already knew the cost, WIFI has already been installed in the stadium, and the roof was always going to need work done as part of ongoing maintenance. Interesting about the moveable "streets " in the article - I presume this is seats - that dont work, since they do actually work and have done many times since 2000.

You keep at it though.

The only good thing about it is atmosphere. Doesn't matter how many are in attendance it always feels and sounds full to me. Yes it is ugly but no worse than subi or footy park. If the money is spent right and with the future in mind, not the next 10 yrs but 50 plus then I'm all for it. I'd rather see it stay them be bulldozed. It's in the perfect spot. Make it a hub of Melbourne like it should have been in the first place.

The only good thing about it is atmosphere. Doesn't matter how many are in attendance it always feels and sounds full to me...

This, and at the risk of arousing your ire by bringing up Rd 14 2009, that was the loudest game I've been to, and I've been to a few GFs (not just St Kilda ones). The stadium can have 30k, and if it's 15k St Kilda, 15k opposition, and it's a close game, the roars for great plays are fantastic.

Also, in reference to watching from level 3, while I don't mind that, I love our family seats both in row 7 and the front row near the players race on level 1.

Etihad Stadium $300m revamp plans unveiled
Story: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...d/news-story/58b7f7cd8edc60515bed660222014280

THE AFL’s plans for a $300 million revamp of Etihad Stadium include a new waterside stadium gateway, open-air bars, restaurants, parks and a running track.

A secret AFL proposal handed to the Andrews Government, which has been obtained by the Herald Sun, outlines the massive revamp of the run-down stadium.

AFL chiefs have presented a glossy 32-page document, titled “Docklands Reimagined”, to Premier Daniel Andrews and Sport Minister John Eren.

The league hopes the Etihad overhaul will kill off a rival plan from Collingwood president Eddie McGuire to build a $1 billion new stadium near the MCG.

Under the AFL’s proposal:

$300m would be pumped into rejuvenating Etihad Stadium and the precinct;

THE arena would open out to Harbour Esplanade and a sprawling waterfront entertainment zone;

A RUNNING track would wind its way around the ground, a giant rock climbing wall built, with grassed parkland; and

COMMUNITY yoga classes on the Etihad playing surface are also in the document.

The revamp will not see any increase to the 54,000-seat capacity but the facade and stands will be upgraded once the AFL wrests control of the venue from its private owners.

“Etihad Stadium is tired and run down,” the pitch document concedes.

“It is 16 years old and provides fans an experience for the year 2000 — not 2016 and beyond.

“It’s not fully integrated into the Docklands precinct, Melbourne’s CBD and the waterfront.

“It does not provide a 365-day destination for the Victorian community. The stadium has never truly reached its potential.”

The AFL hints that a revamped Etihad Stadium would be a major vote winner for the government.

“Involvement in this project would ensure the Andrews Government’s legacy as a dynamic, visionary government,” the document says.

“Importantly, this would be achieved for a fraction of the cost of stadium projects in other states.”

300m of public money could be better spent elsewhere.

300m of public money could be better spent elsewhere.

Its not $300m on the stadium

Most of the money is to be used to make the space around the stadium more people friendly so it has more than a homeless guy and a cat down there.

The place is a graveyard, and any move to improve this public space so its better used is a good thing

I strongly suspect that Etihad can be upgraded with new roofing materials that allow natural light to enter the ground. The no mans land does need upgrading and fitting the ground with such things as WiFi and other modern conveniences are not hard to do.

Etihad already has free wi-fi.

I managed to get some Medallion Club tickets for Sunday's game. The dress code listed on their website says that 'sports attire' isn't permitted.

Does that mean that I can't wear St Kilda gear? Or is it talking about fitness wear? Do people in the Medallion Club wear club colours? Can I wear this jacket and a scarf and beanie without being denied entry?

I managed to get some Medallion Club tickets for Sunday's game. The dress code listed on their website says that 'sports attire' isn't permitted.

Does that mean that I can't wear St Kilda gear? Or is it talking about fitness wear? Do people in the Medallion Club wear club colours? Can I wear this jacket and a scarf and beanie without being denied entry?
How did ya go

How did ya go
I was stressing way too much, dress code was pretty relaxed. I found some earlier posts that said that basically men shouldn't wear guernseys or sports shorts but everything else was pretty much fine, but even then I saw a guy in his 30s wearing a guernsey so who knows.

Well worth it if you ever get the chance. I bought the tickets from Gumtree for only a touch more than reserved seats in level 3. Great view, great facilities, and I was 5 rows in front of the opposition (so, in this case, St Kilda) coaches box.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back