Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the main problems with the stadium is that it's so physically dull. The seats around the stadium are grey and maroon, with an awkward advertisement area full of bright yellow chairs. It's fantasying thoughts but I'd love to see electronic, light-up seats encompassing the whole stadium that change colour depending on the home team. If the Bombers were playing all chairs would be set to black, if North were playing all chairs set to royal blue, if the Saints are playing all chairs set to red (or black/white)...you get the point. It'd give the vibe of a home game, be intimidating for opposition teams and would look utterly amazing.

It'd work for other sports too. Walking into a stadium full of bright green and gold seats for the Socceroos, or navy blue for Melbourne Victory.

One of the main problems with the stadium is that it's so physically dull. The seats around the stadium are grey and maroon, with an awkward advertisement area full of bright yellow chairs. It's fantasying thoughts but I'd love to see electronic, light-up seats encompassing the whole stadium that change colour depending on the home team. If the Bombers were playing all chairs would be set to black, if North were playing all chairs set to royal blue, if the Saints are playing all chairs set to red (or black/white)...you get the point. It'd give the vibe of a home game, be intimidating for opposition teams and would look utterly amazing.

It'd work for other sports too. Walking into a stadium full of bright green and gold seats for the Socceroos, or navy blue for Melbourne Victory.
If all the seats were full we wouldn't need to make them light up :p

I saw a 50 metre kick land in the goal square in the 1st, or maybe it was the 2nd quarter, of the VFL granny on the weekend, and on any other ground it would have bounced straight through for a goal. But this is Etihad, so of course the ball died. It looked like it landed in a sand pit, and it just sat there. Bad enough this place ruins AFL games, now the VFL? Why should VFL fans have to put up with it? The surface is a combination of sand, dead grass and synthetic grass. Get rid of it.

We should go back to the good old days when teams played on grounds like this:

0.jpg

So just saw the Derby crowd from the A-League. Was surprised at it being 35,000-odd. Was that the expected or is the Derby usually closer to 50?

We should go back to the good old days when teams played on grounds like this:

0.jpg

Indeed. It would great to be tested out in the real elements more often and players like Dangerfield would not get suspended for tackling a guy and the accident of his head hitting a bit of soft mud. Instead concrete car park underneath and we are where we are at. Bulldoze the *er would be great.

Speedway @ Etihad, 21k crowd a little disappointing given Aussie Jason Doyle grabbed the World Title, looking forward to seeing the TV coverage & how it presented to the rest of the world particularly Europe.
What was the event capacity?

Speedway @ Etihad, 21k crowd a little disappointing given Aussie Jason Doyle grabbed the World Title, looking forward to seeing the TV coverage & how it presented to the rest of the world particularly Europe.

I couldn't give a rats about any form of motor sports personally...I do wonder the extent though the AFL is using its considerable marketing channels to promote events at the Etihad. It could do well getting savvier with it's event contracts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was the event capacity?

42k was the capacity for this event.

I couldn't give a rats about any form of motor sports personally...I do wonder the extent though the AFL is using its considerable marketing channels to promote events at the Etihad. It could do well getting savvier with it's event contracts

The AFL don’t spend a cent on advertising for these sort of events, as it is the presenters responsibility. All of the risk sits with the presenter (as do the rewards), with the AFL sitting sweet and taking a commission from sales or a flat fee depending on how it’s negotiated.

42k was the capacity for this event.

The AFL don’t spend a cent on advertising for these sort of events, as it is the presenters responsibility. All of the risk sits with the presenter (as do the rewards), with the AFL sitting sweet and taking a commission from sales or a flat fee depending on how it’s negotiated.

Doesn't surprise me, it has a monopoly in this country on large indoor stadia...I wonder whether it could get a better return though if it could attract events / better structure contracts leveraging the half a million or so Victorian club members for instance

Doesn't surprise me, it has a monopoly in this country on large indoor stadia...I wonder whether it could get a better return though if it could attract events / better structure contracts leveraging the half a million or so Victorian club members for instance

Footy fans who dont, wont pay to see their teams play will never pay the price to international events, be it speedway or pop concerts .. the speedway event will be back next year & the fans attending will grow - a multi use stadium needs to be multi use, perhaps the 70k who comprised Docklands record crowd is more your target market? Same grouping hold the MCG record, shame Billys passed on.

The AFL won’t have the know how to pull off these sort of events and it would probably take years to build up the capability to put on their own events on a large scale like those that Etihad is in the market for. For example Fontier Touring are bringing Justin Bieber to Etihad next year and they themselves have their own technical crew to do all the stage rigging, lighting, sound, artist liaisons...etc and Etihad just provides the basic customer service staff, cleaning and security. How much the AFL get out of a Bieber concert depends on who has the bargaining power (like you said). In this case, Frontier are going to have the bargaining power as they can just say screw you we will take him to Perth Stadium instead, so the AFL will get a return that reflects this. With a motocross event like on the weekend, there probably isn’t anywhere else in Australia that they can go to, so the AFL would negotiate something a bit more in their favour. With these big events at Etihad, it is always the presenter who takes on most of the risk, so they will naturally get most of the reward. The AFL will do it because of the low risk to them (they aren’t presenting the event) relative to the return, which will usually be a guaranteed fee paid up front.

The AFL won’t have the know how to pull off these sort of events and it would probably take years to build up the capability to put on their own events on a large scale like those that Etihad is in the market for. For example Fontier Touring are bringing Justin Bieber to Etihad next year and they themselves have their own technical crew to do all the stage rigging, lighting, sound, artist liaisons...etc and Etihad just provides the basic customer service staff, cleaning and security. How much the AFL get out of a Bieber concert depends on who has the bargaining power (like you said). In this case, Frontier are going to have the bargaining power as they can just say screw you we will take him to Perth Stadium instead, so the AFL will get a return that reflects this. With a motocross event like on the weekend, there probably isn’t anywhere else in Australia that they can go to, so the AFL would negotiate something a bit more in their favour. With these big events at Etihad, it is always the presenter who takes on most of the risk, so they will naturally get most of the reward. The AFL will do it because of the low risk to them (they aren’t presenting the event) relative to the return, which will usually be a guaranteed fee paid up front.

:thumbsu: Well put 15.
Speedway as distinct from MotoCross first put their foot in this market in Aus @ ANZ & pulled 31k.
IMHO comparisons with AFL footy are ill informed, footy in Vic is very price sensitive unlike concerts or niche sports.

K, there is a subtlety that you are missing and I suspect is beyond Kwality (no surprises on the latter, the dude has a well earned reputation here for being particularly dense)

I am not suggesting the afl takes on extra logistical responsibilities or (necessarily) demand risk. I'm suggesting the afl has access to marketing channels that could improve its "value proposition" to promoters and events

:thumbsu: Well put 15.
Speedway as distinct from MotoCross first put their foot in this market in Aus @ ANZ & pulled 31k.
IMHO comparisons with AFL footy are ill informed, footy in Vic is very price sensitive unlike concerts or niche sports.

Seriously, you're ill informed. You're seriously considering half a million afl club members like they are a monolith that are all "very price sensitive"? What is frightening is I suspect you actually consider yourself not a dip shyt

K, there is a subtlety that you are missing and I suspect is beyond Kwality (no surprises on the latter, the dude has a well earned reputation here for being particularly dense)

I am not suggesting the afl takes on extra logistical responsibilities or (necessarily) demand risk. I'm suggesting the afl has access to marketing channels that could improve its "value proposition" to promoters and events

Seriously, you're ill informed. You're seriously considering half a million afl club members like they are a monolith that are all "very price sensitive"? What is frightening is I suspect you actually consider yourself not a dip shyt

Actually I was more targetting those who wont attend the stadium in question for peanuts to see their primary sport of choice.

I would have thought that Docklands, because it can uniquely in Aust. close the roof, would give it a competitive advantage to other stadia in Aust. Promoters understand this, & would pay a premium to use it. These advantages are:-

. attendees can enjoy the event in the certainty they will not risk being in the rain -& concert tickets are expensive. Performers know the vibe is less satisfactory if their audience is being soaked.
. an "indoor" stadia concert would have better acoustics than a stadia open to the elements.
. concerts would be a more "intimate" indoor experience, cf. open stadium.
. many concerts now have elaborate light-shows etc. As Docklands, with the roof closed & internal lighting turned off/lowered, can be placed into almost virtual darkness, these light shows would have more impact/ be more spectacular.
. speakers can be placed on open areas/the arena -no issues with rain causing electrical hazards.
. no problems with seagulls flying around; moths at night being a nuisance.
. the roar of the crowd is louder/ more exciting in a closed rood stadium -noise bounces off the roof.
. on a cold night, it is slightly warmer being in an indoor stadium

Last edited:
Does anyone have the good oil on how the AFL ownership will impact the AFL reserve? First year member last year having just moved here and I'm already over Etihad (as are most people around here by the look of things). I wonder if the AFL will use this as an opportunity to improve the product for their members?

The afl dont own club membership rolls, the clubs do

Also event companies wont pay for those lists or access to afl platforms like afl.com.au and so on, because they get better bang for their buck elsewhere. The afl audience is far too broad, and you are paying a premium to access punters who dont give a s**t

Why would FTC promote a bieber concert via the afl, when they have access to biebers own superior prospect database - his social media accounts, his youtube offering, and even fan forums?

The afl dont own club membership rolls, the clubs do

Also event companies wont pay for those lists or access to afl platforms like afl.com.au and so on, because they get better bang for their buck elsewhere. The afl audience is far too broad, and you are paying a premium to access punters who dont give a s**t

Why would FTC promote a bieber concert via the afl, when they have access to biebers own superior prospect database - his social media accounts, his youtube offering, and even fan forums?

Pretty sure my previous comment was in response to the motorcross not a bieber concert.... and, true to form, the rest of your post is just strawman rubbish. The AFL doesn't "own" membership roles (apart from its own) but its clubs do. I have at no point suggested that the extra "value proposition" is giving direct access to AFL club members for which promoters would "pay a premium"

I know I have exposed your limited intelect a few times now and you have developed a little bit of a complex, but, if you want to engage with me, at least try to respond to what I actually say rather than what you imagine my position to be. If you are unsure what my position is, why don't you ask first rather than arguing with something you have constructed? What do you actually get out of doing that?

Pretty sure my previous comment was in response to the motorcross not a bieber concert.... and, true to form, the rest of your post is just strawman rubbish. The AFL doesn't "own" membership roles (apart from its own) but its clubs do. I have at no point suggested that the extra "value proposition" is giving direct access to AFL club members for which promoters would "pay a premium"

I know I have exposed your limited intelect a few times now and you have developed a little bit of a complex, but, if you want to engage with me, at least try to respond to what I actually say rather than what you imagine my position to be. If you are unsure what my position is, why don't you ask first rather than arguing with something you have constructed? What do you actually get out of doing that?

The afl dont have 500k afl members, you need club membership lists to get that number

The issue is the same with motorcross, wwe, or even the joho's, the event managers have access to targeted prospect databases, and better focused platforms than paying the afl to use their data.

This is what promotions companies do, figure out how best to promote their event for maximum effect with minimal cost. If they wanted the afl to leverage off, they would have done this irrespective of afl ownership of the joint

Have you ever worked in marketing or event promotion?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back