Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you mean by that? The toilets/food/bar outlets? Because there's not much more space to fit more in.
I think it's less about fitting more in, but fixing up the options available and the service you get (which they definitely improved on last season with more checkouts).

Etihad isn't that bad - inside it just needs some white light and colour (anything to remove the grey look). Refine some of the bars/food outlets (they've started this, it will be gradual). Open space for a kick of the footy before/after the game is a big thing and as I've explained before the only real way to do this would be to expand the bridge to Spencer Street right around to Gate 4 with grass/fake grass.

People still whinge about parking when they don't even realise it's $10 in the Channel 9 building next door. The deep-seeded hatred due to it not being the MCG will never be resolved for these people.

If the Liberals win the election they're not giving out 300m:
Libs to shelve $300m Etihad plan, use cash for grassroots sport

A $300 MILLION Etihad Stadium rebuild would be shelved under a Liberal plan to pour taxpayers’ money into grassroots sport.

Opposition leader Matthew Guy has declared Victorian voters should be given the right to decide the future of Melbourne’s sporting infrastructure at November’s state election.

The AFL and Andrews Government are on the verge of signing off on a major taxpayer-funded deal to revamp the rundown Docklands stadium.

But the Coaltion want the talks to stop and the public to decide.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...t/news-story/913adf221cbdec667640384ea60cbcec

The AFL's Vic. govt. pitch is that the $300,000,000 revamp to the external areas of DS is designed to create for the Docklands area a 365 day pa tourist mecca (which would generate significant economic activity, & major tourist funds for Vic.). This would also give a boost to other current retail businesses in the area (which, generally have closed/suffered), if big crowds can be regularly be drawn to Docklands' area.
AFL's T Auld said the Docklands area is an asset for the whole state, not just the AFL. It should not be an either/or situation re Vic. govt. funding for DS AND facilities for GR sport. IIRC, there has been provided to the Vic. govt., by the AFL, an indep. business case/ROI justifying the $300,000,000.

The original Docklands' plan was to capitalise on its water/harbour views, & make it a 365 pa tourist area. This plan has been a failure, as after 7 pm M-F, & on weekends, it is quiet (but it has been very successful as a high rise residential area, and for establishing company offices there).

www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-04/afl-keen-to-work-with-libs-labor-on-etihad-revamp

In reality, Vic. state govts. have invested relatively little funding into the AFL -cf. the vast majority of the MCG & DS funding coming from the private sector, and the AFL itself.
The biggest Vic. govt funding has gone into building AAMI Park c. $280,000,000; the F1 Albert Park sponsorship, increasingly expensive track set up & expenses etc. -averaging $30,000,000 pa?; & Melb. Park Tennis complex -$540,000,000+

Last edited:
I'm all for the proposed upgrades to the area. Whenever I head into the city, I usually find myself around the Docklands, and it's all very grey, not like the rest of the CBD. I saw one plan was to cover the railway lines with a few football ovals. I reckon that would be cool as it would green up the area, create more active space, give a new area to play kick to kick at halftime during footy games and prevent high spaces - mostly since I'm a little bit afraid of heights and it's all safer with grass areas rather than a balcony.

I can think of better ways of spending 300m then on Etihad Stadium. Unless the AFL want to give up the freehold, of course.

The AFL will refuse any offer by the state government in relation to them buying Docklands Stadium point blank

I can't figure out why the Victorian Government would commit one dollar to the project. I know it's supposedly about the surrounding precinct and not improving the stadium itself, but as the owners of the stadium it's obvious that the AFL are the ones that stand to gain from the precinct not being a grey, soulless hole.

All it really seeks to do is boost the profitability of the AFL, of the already-wealthy people who bought into the Docklands, and the handful of business who speculated on the precinct turning around when it was already obvious that, aside from major events, no one wants to go there.

We already have a pretty good city, and a pretty great precinct out towards Southbank. Why does my taxpayer dollars need to be spent trying to duplicate Southbank at the Docklands cos the original investors ****ed it up the first time?

I'm not opposed to the gov spending money on Docklands, but everything in the AFL's plan is terribly gimmicky and corporate.

They need to increase green space, more vegetation, trees and green infrastructure, and continue to increase connectivity with the rest of the city and the inner west.

Subsidising the building of crappy bars and restaurants and rock walls is stupid. Create streets with shade and life that isn't windswept or radiating heat in summer and very quickly the high quality and trendy bars and restaurants Melbourne are known for will be setting up shop. It's much better going to pubs near the MCG because they have to be good all year round, they don't just exist because of the MCG.

I'm not opposed to the gov spending money on Docklands, but everything in the AFL's plan is terribly gimmicky and corporate.

They need to increase green space, more vegetation, trees and green infrastructure, and continue to increase connectivity with the rest of the city and the inner west.

Subsidising the building of crappy bars and restaurants and rock walls is stupid. Create streets with shade and life that isn't windswept or radiating heat in summer and very quickly the high quality and trendy bars and restaurants Melbourne are known for will be setting up shop. It's much better going to pubs near the MCG because they have to be good all year round, they don't just exist because of the MCG.
From memory the plan supposedly will create 3 or 4 MCG sized ovals above where the railway lines go (between North Melbourne and Southern Cross)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't figure out why the Victorian Government would commit one dollar to the project. I know it's supposedly about the surrounding precinct and not improving the stadium itself, but as the owners of the stadium it's obvious that the AFL are the ones that stand to gain from the precinct not being a grey, soulless hole.

Wouldn't that apply to any business (and resident) in the area?

By that logic virtually no public money would be spent anywhere, because private interests would benefit somehow.

From memory the plan supposedly will create 3 or 4 MCG sized ovals above where the railway lines go (between North Melbourne and Southern Cross)
It is Melb. City Council, not the AFL, that is proposing to roof the railway yards near Southern Cross station -with several full sized ovals.
This railway roofing is not included in the AFL's request for Govt. support to reinvigorate the Docklands area as a tourist attraction, to benefit the whole area (& state finances) ie the $300,000,000 is for construction activity mainly on DS's perimiter, facing the harbour, for restaurants, bars, convention halls etc.

Incidentally, and finally by Round 1, NM, St K, & Footscray, who have effectively subsidized/underwritten the building & profitability of DS, are to be fairly compensated for hosting games there.
H./Sun 5.3 J.Ralph stated:-
. " The AFL has finally opened its purse strings in an Etihad Stadium gate receipts deal that could reap tenant clubs millions of dollars".

. C. Dilena (NM) said "In the past, 85% of reserved seat sales (revenue) went to the stadium, not to the clubs...".

. J. Ralph "Clubs have reaped as much money from one-off games sold to Cairns and Alice Springs as their ENTIRE RETURN (my emphasis; WOW! Unbelievable! -my words) from 10 Docklands games".

. "Some clubs had to write cheques to the AFL to cover the costs of playing at the venue, even given solid crowds".

For NM & Footscray, given the booming populations of the northern & western suburbs, & major commercial development being planned there, this is an additional very significant boost. St K, which is returning to its spiritual heartland (and, hopefully, the "animal enclosure" with AFLW games), will also benefit by the increasingly valuable property prices of the bayside suburbs: more wealthy St K supporters and sponsors living there.

NM, Footscray, & St K will almost certainly have a more prosperous fortune than they did in the last 150 years, for the next 150 years. They will forever be based in Melb.

Last edited:
The state government are hardly likely to loan them $300 mill without some sort surety in return

thats not going to be an ownership percentage of Docklands. It will be in the form of contractual obligations over a number of years, probably including making sure its available for any Commonwealth/Olympic/World Cup bids, as well as contributing more to football facilities (as has already been reported), fixture restrictions (ie. no finals at Docklands, or a limited number)

The AFL's Vic. govt. pitch is that the $300,000,000 revamp to the external areas of DS is designed to create for the Docklands area a 365 day pa tourist mecca (which would generate significant economic activity, & major tourist funds for Vic.). This would also give a boost to other current retail businesses in the area (which, generally have closed/suffered), if big crowds can be regularly be drawn to Docklands' area.
AFL's T Auld said the Docklands area is an asset for the whole state, not just the AFL. It should not be an either/or situation re Vic. govt. funding for DS AND facilities for GR sport. IIRC, there has been provided to the Vic. govt., by the AFL, an indep. business case/ROI justifying the $300,000,000.

The original Docklands' plan was to capitalise on its water/harbour views, & make it a 365 pa tourist area. This plan has been a failure, as after 7 pm M-F, & on weekends, it is quiet (but it has been very successful as a high rise residential area, and for establishing company offices there).

www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-04/afl-keen-to-work-with-libs-labor-on-etihad-revamp

In reality, Vic. state govts. have invested relatively little funding into the AFL -cf. the vast majority of the MCG & DS funding coming from the private sector, and the AFL itself.
The biggest Vic. govt funding has gone into building AAMI Park c. $280,000,000; the F1 Albert Park sponsorship, increasingly expensive track set up & expenses etc. -averaging $30,000,000 pa?; & Melb. Park Tennis complex -$540,000,000+

Serious question, if Docklands was somewhere else in the world, anywhere else, is anyone buying a ticket to go there as a tourist destination? I know I’m not?

An absolute shitload. One of the AFL's key goals with Etihad Stadium is to bring more concerts to the venue

Frontier Touring would be the ones making all of the money, as they are the promoters who are bringing Ed out, paying him and putting together the production side of things. In other words, they are the ones taking on all of the risk and will get all of the reward. Etihad would get a fixed ground rental fee from Frontier and reimbursed for costs, but 100% of the Box Office would be getting kept by Frontier Touring.

Serious question, if Docklands was somewhere else in the world, anywhere else, is anyone buying a ticket to go there as a tourist destination? I know I’m not?
If it was interstate but still in Australia I’d be very tempted. But I am fascinated by stadiums so that’s the only reason why.

It needs work, feels like a giant industrial park, not a destination for fun or food/drink

Frontier Touring would be the ones making all of the money, as they are the promoters who are bringing Ed out, paying him and putting together the production side of things. In other words, they are the ones taking on all of the risk and will get all of the reward. Etihad would get a fixed ground rental fee from Frontier and reimbursed for costs, but 100% of the Box Office would be getting kept by Frontier Touring.
True. Etihad would also make a lot of money from catering on the night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back