Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

SEN Radio 24.5 Whately Program

CEO Michael Green said:-

. Marvel Stadium will deal on "an ongoing basis to deliver entertainment".
( I assume this accords with the AFL's strategy to ensure DS-like Chicago's Soldiers Field stadium- becomes a 365 day pa entertainment venue)

.its the first time a major entertainment brand has "tied up to work with a major stadium"

.a retail Marvel store will be established at DS

.there will "be an immersion experience with Marvel characters with the fans from day 1 at the stadium".

Marvel isn’t that bad, it’ll get some of the younger kids excited about going to the footy with all the extra activities and super heroes they’re planning on having.
Having said that it should just be called dock lands or AFL stadium

We need an AFL superhero. Where is the dockers waterhouse lookalike these days??
What, Captain Carlton and Navy Nina not good enough for ya?

0k7ntdV.jpg

Now the AFL is promoting marvel heavily at its own Etihad branded stadium, wouldn’t etihad be a little pissed off its sponsorship is given a backseat?
Nope, the rights expired in March. THey're getting a few free months of advertising until the end of the season when signage will be replaced.

Much like how Hisense arena at the tennis centre is getting a free year of naming rights because those expired after the AO and a replacement hasn't been found yet and it costs money to take down signs.

Radio SEN Melb. News 29.5

Professor M.Buxton, one of Melbourne's most esteemed, major Project architects, RMIT Professor, & regularly sought by the Melb. MSM to comment on architectural & planning issues, has stated that DS should be demolished.
He stated that the huge DS site, on prime Harbour Esplanade waterfront, has now become very valuable land -too valuable to be a sport stadium. He suggested a new stadium should be built c.500 mtrs away at E Gate (now industrial "wasteland", not on the waterfront), crn Footscray Rd & Dudley St Nth Melb.

Harbour Esplanade tram line runs next to E Gate, Nth. Melb station is c.700 mtrs away, & new Underground Arden Station would be c. 1.2 kms. away. For these reasons (ie inconvenience of public transport, cf Southern Cross & Flinders St hub stations being very close), I believe the AFL would be foolish to relocate "up the road".

Last edited:
Radio SEN Melb. News 29.5

Professor M.Buxton, one of Melbourne's most esteemed, major Project architects, RMIT Professor, & regularly sought by the Melb. MSM to comment on architectural & planning issues, has stated that DS should be demolished.
He stated that the huge DS site, on prime Harbour Esplanade waterfront, has now become very valuable land -too valuable to be a sport stadium. He suggested a new stadium should be built c.500 mtrs away at E Gate (now industrial "wasteland", not on the waterfront), crn Footscray Rd & Dudley St Nth Melb.

Harbour Esplanade tram line runs next to E Gate, Nth. Melb station is c.700 mtrs away, & new Underground Arden Station would be c. 1.2 kms. away. For these reasons (ie inconvenience of public transport, cf Southern Cross & Flinders St hub stations being very close), I believe the AFL would be foolish to relocate "up the road".

Except they’d screw that up too. The new centre of docklands that is You may or may not like this artwork in front of the stadium. I noticed the other day a billboard thing has been erected which obscures the artwork from many angles

Surely it’s up to people like this to describe the improvement before moving a whole stadium
98F167D1-C1DC-4EC0-8E42-15E582C92FC7.jpeg

No matter what it is called, it is a horrible place to be with the roof closed. It is gloomy and the incessant noise especially at half time is enough to drive you mad. No wonder people become violent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the docklands precinct, I doubt any of that cash will be spent inside the stadium, most of it will be buying the channel 7 land no doubt so that hotel can be built on the waterfront side of the stadium.

Speak of the devil...
https://www.afr.com/real-estate/victorian-government-homes-in-on-sevens-docklands-hq-20180625-h11tqr
Victorian government homes in on Seven's Docklands HQ

Development Victoria, a state government agency, has bought the Docklands home of the Seven Network for about $100 million from the building's owner, the NRMA.

The deal comes just weeks after the state government announced a $225 million funding agreement with the AFL to redevelop Docklands Stadium, just behind the Seven building.

A Development Victoria spokesman said the purchase of the Seven building at 160 Harbour Esplanade would allow it to develop long-term strategies to revitalise the Docklands Stadium and waterfront.

"The Victorian state government is funding $225 million towards the redevelopment of Docklands Stadium so it can continue to bring Victorians world-class sport and entertainment events for the next 30 years," he said.

With 8237 square metres of office space, the 160 Harbour Esplanade building is fully leased to Seven. Around seven years remain on the lease. The 6701 sq m site overlooks Victoria Harbour.

I don't get how people hate this so much but Telstra Dome or Etihad Stadium was ok. Or 1800SMILES Stadium. This is just different, and the next step.

Last edited:
I don't get how people hate this so much but Telstra Dome or Etihad Stadium was ok. Or 1800SMILES Stadium. This is just different, and the next step.

Also, is the "Marvel" on the middle teir centered?

The difference is that they are all just names, with perhaps a small amount of advertising around the place. This is going to feel like walking into a Marvel theme park.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...m/news-story/3d598f5db8b1c933220fe394c617896b

Giant Hulk and Iron Man busts will tower 4m over the scoreboards, facing off at each end of the stadium.

A Marvel megastore will be built at the venue, movies screened around the ground and film nights planned as stadium chiefs look to activate the venue on more than just match days.

And striking images of Marvel characters will be plastered throughout the venue.

“We’re exploring different types of activations like climbing walls and ziplines and pretty exciting and fun things that the whole family can participate in.’’

I go to the footy or soccer to actually watch the game. I'm not interested in seeing people dressed as comic book characters. It actually makes me less likely to want to take a child to a game, because they would just bug me to do all the fun super hero stuff. The proof will be in the pudding, but everything I've heard would suggest it absolutely will take away from the actual event itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back