FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
Anyone know if the dress code in Medallion is relaxed for Big Bash? Always wear a polo to the footy, haven’t been to a BBL game (am tomorrow night). Hoping I can wear a tee shirt. Office is closed until 07 Jan so can’t call em to check. Ta.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone know if the dress code in Medallion is relaxed for Big Bash? Always wear a polo to the footy, haven’t been to a BBL game (am tomorrow night). Hoping I can wear a tee shirt. Office is closed until 07 Jan so can’t call em to check. Ta.
Last time I went the same rules apply.

Tweeting them is the fastest way to get a response though.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Bulldozer it and build another stadium at Elsternwick Park. The surface is too hard and it faces in the wrong direction, plus it's cold and too generic.

Bulldozer it and build another stadium at Elsternwick Park. The surface is too hard and it faces in the wrong direction, plus it's cold and too generic.

1) council would never approve it

2) parking would be a s**t fight worse than prince's park

3) only serviced by the sandy line

4) where are the clubs on the ovals and the golf club members going?

This will never work. It will just be another roof stadium that everyone will hate with the cost of demolition of Docklands and the cost of building the new stadium. Nowhere near feasible, there’s nothing wrong with Docklands anyway.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Main problem was it’s cost to build and the effect on the competition for 15 years. We’ve grown into it now, there’s very few low crowd games now in Melbourne

Been great for Hobart Launceston Ballarat Alice Darwin cairns. They get footy now which rarely happened before docklands

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
It needs to have its roof shut all the time as the glare from sunshine is poor

BBL Final 2.45pm tomorrow. Someone said this is the Renegades' first daytime home game. Will look terrible if there's dropped catches and misfields due to the harsh contrast.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
BBL Final 2.45pm tomorrow. Someone said this is the Renegades' first daytime home game. Will look terrible if there's dropped catches and misfields due to the harsh contrast.
You'd expect either the roof to be closed or the players to wear sunnies.

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
Marvel with the roof closed on a hot day feel like a sauna. I was there for the Renegades thunder game in Janaury, it felt like it was 50 degrees.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's nothing, for one Melbourne Derby it was 40 degrees plus over successive days then a thunderstorm came through before the match and inside was like a sweatshop at about 65 degrees

RobRocket

Debutant
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
That's nothing, for one Melbourne Derby it was 40 degrees plus over successive days then a thunderstorm came through before the match and inside was like a sweatshop at about 65 degrees

I’m glad we have the facility to prevent washed out cricket. But surely could a 21st century stadium be given an aircon to the spectators coming in to watch .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m glad we have the facility to prevent washed out cricket. But surely could a 21st century stadium be given an aircon to the spectators coming in to watch .

It opened in March 2000 when summer franchise cricket wasn't even a concept.

If they redevelop it some day they'll do a proper job making it an indoor venue when the roof is closed. At present it's closer to a big shed with chainlink fence around it.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Bulldoze it and build a ground with character that has a nice grandstand and trees.You could be anywhere in the world in that cold, concrete jungle.Fix Princess Park or build a community friendly stadium at Elsternwick Park.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Bulldoze it and build a ground with character that has a nice grandstand and trees.You could be anywhere in the world in that cold, concrete jungle.Fix Princess Park or build a community friendly stadium at Elsternwick Park.

Its a sports arena that does its job, 2nd fiddle to the G - should try the NGV for character, can handle a crowd too.

Excellent day out today. I think I can say I know what being a woman feels like having to wait in some of the toilet lines today! I think having the Victory room take up a lot of space on the bottom deck meant that a large area of seats had to use one set of toilets.
Not sure what the fetish for Elsternwick Park is, if they rebuilt a stadium there it would just be a more modern concrete roofed stadium, plus the cost of demolition for Marvel.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

What's a "community friendly stadium"?

Last time Princes Park was operational for AFL games the public freaking hated it. And people are a lot softer now than they were then.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
What's a "community friendly stadium"?

Last time Princes Park was operational for AFL games the public freaking hated it. And people are a lot softer now than they were then.
It's a stadium that you'd enjoy to go to, that isn't just a bug circle of concrete.There should be a lawned area as well. The architects of today can surely come up with something better. And build it at ground level so the players aren't playing on carpark.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
It's a stadium that you'd enjoy to go to, that isn't just a bug circle of concrete.There should be a lawned area as well. The architects of today can surely come up with something better. And build it at ground level so the players aren't playing on carpark.

There are flaws in Docklands no doubt, but the number 1 requirement of any stadium is that you get a good view in a comfortable seat. I think it delivers on that.
The biggest problem with the suburban grounds of yesteryear is that they don't even offer that. People might show up once or twice to reminisce but i'll tell you right now that crowds are going to plummet if you start playing regular games at 3rd rate grounds.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
There are flaws in Docklands no doubt, but the number 1 requirement of any stadium is that you get a good view in a comfortable seat. I think it delivers on that.
The biggest problem with the suburban grounds of yesteryear is that they don't even offer that. People might show up once or twice to reminisce but i'll tell you right now that crowds are going to plummet if you start playing regular games at 3rd rate grounds.
Yes,it will be interesting to see what happens once the AFL take ownership.It has good viewing but it has no character and has too much advertising all over the joint.I only go there for important games.

Back