hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Yes,it will be interesting to see what happens once the AFL take ownership.It has good viewing but it has no character and has too much advertising all over the joint.I only go there for important games.
That'd be every game worth 4 points, yes? :p
Melb teams get extra games their supporters can access in some form or another compared to interstate teams but they say no thanks coz there's too much advertising?!

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Injecting some soul into the interior and surrounds would improve the place no end. Hopefully that's on the cards.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
What exactly are you looking for?
Even Saints fans went whren Ross was steering the ship.

You're a passive aggressive sad man.

Your argument is that the stadium is fine because Saints fans turned up when their team was 19 and zip and Riewoldt and co were running riot. Compelling argument.

Anything that provides character and that isn't inserted for commercial reasons would be a dramatic improvement.

RobRocket

Debutant
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
You're a passive aggressive sad man.

Your argument is that the stadium is fine because Saints fans turned up when their team was 19 and zip and Riewoldt and co were running riot. Compelling argument.

Anything that provides character and that isn't inserted for commercial reasons would be a dramatic improvement.

Great memories those indeed. I remember the round 14 Geelong clash, and the atmosphere there was electric . Had you played it at the MCG, it would of been dull and not reached the same atmosphere.

On a side note, I think the roof policy needs to change. Unless it’s raining the roof should be open. It’s the closed roof that really makes games feel depressing and boring. That being said outside of cricket and concerts on warm days, I think for AFL it’s one of the most comfortable stadiums.

There having basketball there this year, and I think the atmosphere for that will be insane !

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What exactly are you looking for?
Even Saints fans went whren Ross was steering the ship.

A big issue for me is all the GA and reg peeps being stuck on LVL 3. Even at quiet games at the g, the bottom deck is usually full which gives the game some atmosphere and emotion.

If the corps and premiums don't show (as often happens for low interest games), you have this massive gap between the crowd and the action. It just makes you feel more disconnected from the game tbh

Strebi3

Team Captain
Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A big issue for me is all the GA and reg peeps being stuck on LVL 3. Even at quiet games at the g, the bottom deck is usually full which gives the game some atmosphere and emotion.

If the corps and premiums don't show (as often happens for low interest games), you have this massive gap between the crowd and the action. It just makes you feel more disconnected from the game tbh
Couldn't agree more, they need to free up some of level 2

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
The AFL really need to make a deal with the MCC giving their members reciprocal access to the Medallion Club year round to fill that area up more often (they already can access the Centre Wing club but only during the AFL h&a season). It would be a good way to get more patronage into the Medallion Club to cricket games and Dees games especially if the AFL want to get limited overs international cricket back at Docklands again (against low drawing sides like the West Indies and Pakistan for example)

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Sunday at the BBL grand final was the best atmosphere I have ever experienced by far at a sporting event at Docklands. My wife even mentioned it as Harris and Finch came out to bat with the fireworks and red flashing everywhere. While that may just seem like the quirk of Big Bash, having the roof open on a day where it wasn't super sunny during the afternoon in summer just flat out worked. The sea of red and green looked amazing and the noise as 7/19 started to eventuate created a super special day for me.
I've previously never cared for the stadium all that much but Sunday changed all that.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
The AFL really need to make a deal with the MCC giving their members reciprocal access to the Medallion Club year round to fill that area up more often (they already can access the Centre Wing club but only during the AFL h&a season). It would be a good way to get more patronage into the Medallion Club to cricket games and Dees games especially if the AFL want to get limited overs international cricket back at Docklands again (against low drawing sides like the West Indies and Pakistan for example)

Medallion club is entirely reserved isn't it? So how do you give anyone else access to those seats unless you know whether any given seatholder is going to show up?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Spot on.

Am I the only person who sees Marvel as a well functioning and perfectly good stadium?
Christ almighty some people are spoiled.
Contrary to what you may think I do live in Victoria and I attend all of the Renegades games and I think the stadium is perfect. A little ugly but definitely not worth complaining about like Subiaco back when it was around.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Am I the only person who sees Marvel as a well functioning and perfectly good stadium?
Contrary to what you may think I do live in Victoria and I attend all of the Renegades games and I think the stadium is perfect. A little ugly but definitely not worth complaining about like Subiaco back when it was around.
I am with you
I live in Melbourne and the Crows play Docklands more often than the 'G and I don't see any problem (as long as roof is always shut)

But it lacks soul. Hotdogs cost $27. Their wifi gave me radiation poisoning. Last week I saw a security guard roughing up a five-year-old. The AFL desperately needs to shower the place in magic pixie dust or I'll never attend more than a dozen events per year there.

Fair to say this comprehensively answers your question:
Melbourne’s Marvel Stadium has been named Global Venue of the Year at TheStadiumBusiness Awards in Manchester.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
The issues with Docklands are pretty major ones IMO:

- Weather - you go their in winter and it's an icebox, apparently there's no heating in the venue. You go there in summer, especially if you have rain around prompting the roof to close, and it's diabolical. I still remember being there a few summers ago for BBL and leaving 15 overs in cos I couldn't deal with thd 50 degree temperatures and 100% humidity inside the stadium.

- Viewing angles - you go up to level 3 and you can't see what's happening below you. Which in itself should rule a stadium out of any "best stadium in the world" discussion. But I guess the judges for this s**t probably don't even visit the stadium, let alone visit level 3. And if you go there for A-League and you're on the 1st level, you've got all manner of benches, advertising, ball kids, broadcast equipment between you and the field.

- Ticketing - the way the ground is categorised isn't ideal. You pay a s**t ton to sit on the 1st level. I know lots of people love being at the ground level, and more power to them, but it's not for me. Especially given the price they charge. It's just not steep enough - even at the back you aren't that high off the ground. Half of level 2 is roped off for Medallion, and the rest of level 2 is outrageously expensive. So you're stuck with level 3. And as I said before, if you're on level 3 you can't see what's below you.

- Accessibility - I don't know how they forgot to put lifts or escalators in, but the only way this stadium gets around its likely breach of Disability Discrimination Act requirements is because they just put all people with accessibility needs on level 1. Which isn't how the DDA is supposed to work.

- Location - the Docklands precinct is just a wasteland. Its proximity to Spencer St is the only thing that saves it in this regard.

The stadium is total crap by any measure. But for an expensive, supposedly world class stadium in a big sporting city, some of its design and administrative failings are comical.

But it lacks soul. Hotdogs cost $27. Their wifi gave me radiation poisoning. Last week I saw a security guard roughing up a five-year-old. The AFL desperately needs to shower the place in magic pixie dust or I'll never attend more than a dozen events per year there.

Fair to say this comprehensively answers your question:
To me, I think the MCG lacks soul when it’s less than half full Moreno than what Marvel normally has.

Just occurred to me I've never sat anywhere but Level 3. How do you even go about it?
I sat on level one once, because Melbourne played GWS there and achieved the lowest crowd recorded at the venue. There was no need to open up level 3 because it was so pitiful. So just hope there's a shithouse crowd i guess

Back