Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So what is the home ground allocation for the resident clubs at Docklands, is it the same for all clubs?
I've often asked but no one seems to know, even though the media would surely have asked ?
No it’s different. However apart from Essendon the home clubs don’t sell out of their quotas of season allocated seats. Pre covid, Essendon sold about 18,500 seats as ‘season allocated seats’ as part of its membership packages. Being mindful this is an Essendon that weren’t travelling greatly on field. Carlton are next selling about 13,500 season seats. The smaller clubs sell around 7-9,000 of these seats.

Issue for Essendon (and Carlton to a lesser extent) is that if it emerges as an on field force, it will supposedly sell more of these allocated seats as the club will basically sell out the GA at all home games. This was emerging in real terms in 2019 to a degree.

Back in the late 1990’s, before the MCG rebuild and also before the clubs started doing promotions to grow attendances like ‘kids free Sundays’ and 4 game memberships etc, Essenfon averaged around 58,000 to its home games. It was drawing between 50-70,000 to matches against most Victorian clubs and larger interstate clubs in years when it was a contender in the finals. It would be expected that a similar demand would meet its next era of success.

In this context, any lost capacity at Marvel creates further supply challenges for the clubs broader match going following. Carlton would experience challenges as well.

Essendon renegotiated it’s home ground tenancy for 2025 and beyond. It will be an interesting negotiation given the AFL need Essendon at Marvel whilst majority of the clubs members want more of its home games at the MCG. And I’m sure the MCG want more Essendon games to pay for its next redevelopment🤔😄

Essendon renegotiated it’s home ground tenancy for 2025 and beyond. It will be an interesting negotiation given the AFL need Essendon at Marvel whilst majority of the clubs members want more of its home games at the MCG. And I’m sure the MCG want more Essendon games to pay for its next redevelopment🤔😄
Hopefully Essendon do a 6-5/5-6 split of their home games between the MCG and Docklands in due time. I once saw or heard of a Essendon members poll a few years ago that indicated a near 50/50 split on where members prefer to go and see their team play whereas most Melbourne teams have it more towards one venue like Richmond with the MCG and the Bulldogs with Docklands

something does not compute with the super sexy things

FNXoGnaVgAMqZrl.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not at the ground tonight but are they seriously taking up more than half the scoreboard with ads/the score?

You don't need the score when you have two other scoreboards available... at least drop that and make the video much larger.

I'm not at the ground tonight but are they seriously taking up more than half the scoreboard with ads/the score?

You don't need the score when you have two other scoreboards available... at least drop that and make the video much larger.
Think they do the same at optus which has huge screens but ads ads ads. Someone from the west will confirm

From what i've seen on tv, the goal animation takes up the entire screen, so that is good. The old scoreboards are now used for live stats which is interesting, but i guess they'll demolish them eventually. The new lights up top look awesome on tv, cant wait to see them in person next sunday. Dont like the huge ad space on the scoreboard, considering we never had scoreboard ad space at marvel before, it'll take some getting used to. But overall it is an improvement on what it used to be, and i look forward to seeing it next week.

From what i've seen on tv, the goal animation takes up the entire screen, so that is good. The old scoreboards are now used for live stats which is interesting, but i guess they'll demolish them eventually. The new lights up top look awesome on tv, cant wait to see them in person next sunday. Dont like the huge ad space on the scoreboard, considering we never had scoreboard ad space at marvel before, it'll take some getting used to. But overall it is an improvement on what it used to be, and i look forward to seeing it next week.
The old scoreboards also had the replays of the free kicks, where as they new ones didn't. The old ones can be impossible to see if you are sitting up in the nosebleeds and the beam is in the way

Dosent matter how wide the score boards are, the footy is filmed 16;9 so depending on height only so much can be live action otherwise the image will be all squashed. The rest will be ads and stats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back