Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Oz Release May 5 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

a lot of think about

the trailers suggested the good and bad guys were x and y. But a per classic marvel misdirect it kinda flipped things on its head as the multiverse does. wanda was supposed to doc against all the monsters. well octopus monster. then she didnt.

finally we get some closure on the wrist watch.

enjoyed the illuminatti. clearly indicates the xmen and F4 will come. now that we know they exist in the M.U.

doctor strange learned to love again.

Themes: family and mother and her children.
A good mothers day movie

Bit unsure about this one, for a movie that had 'multiverse' in the title it didn't really explore the concept well. We got to see 3 universes in the whole movie besides a 10 second exploration of other universes which I wish we got to see more of. The multiverse has been done better in other media, films like Spider-Verse, Everything, Everywhere All at Once, and TV shows like Rick & Morty and Community.

I think this would have worked better as a semi-horror movie with Wanda as a T-1000 type rather than the multi-verse angle. The movie kind of tried to do this and I remember reading this kind of the original plan before the director was swapped for creative difference.

Also unsure how I feel about Wanda as the villan. Interesting no dobut, but seemed like a bit of a 180 from her character arc in WandaVision. It did seem like a bit of a character assassination to suddenly turn so evil, reminded me of Danerys in the last season of GoT.

Still a solid 6/10 move which I enjoyed, but was expecting a bit more from this one.

Reading some of the critic's reviews, the overall criticism I saw was they felt the story didn't connect to them. But I felt the opposite. I think the problem is that this movie relies on the audience having watched WandaVision and What If. Maybe the critics haven't watched those series? I felt immediately invested in the story, though some of the dialogue was cumbersome. I do agree with that observation. If you don't know the backstory, then the film's frantic pace might leave you in its wake. But what a ride. The horror elements Sam Raimi brought to it were perfect.

Mates I went with after said it would’ve made more sense if I’d seen it. They explained to me why she was doing what she was doing, but in a movie about multiverses I felt like it was a weak ass story. I get what happened with the kids as explained to me, but I didn’t care about it and still don’t. Dragged the movie down for me. It wasn’t a bad movie just felt the story they went with was weak and I didn’t give a s**t. Maybe it’s cause I didn’t watch Wandavision. I was most excited about seeing John K showing up, I’ve either not read or forgot he was going to be in FF

More like doctor not very strange in the multiverse of meh.

the plot was just a simple side story. Belonged in an episode of wanda vision. Loki was far more grand.

didnt really care for the cameos

way too much cgi. none of the nice kathmandu scenes from the first movie.

only a couple of multiverses and they were all almost exactly the same as the original.

in the hands of marvel it appears the multiverse is a tool wielded by babies
wont be watching that movie again.

Last edited:
Has the latest dr strange movie screwed up the marvel multiverse?

in loki there was one core universe and then all these variant universes emerged off the core.

Yet in dr strange its clearly stated there are infinite universes where every possible outcome happens.

the concept of infinite universes already existing is completely incompatible with the multiverse as described in Loki. all possible variant universes already exist if there are infinitie universes making the whole plot of loki nonsense.

any thoughts on this?

Raimi has been quoted in the last few days saying that he hasn't seen all of WandaVision, just key moments from certain episodes that he was told are critical for him and this film. Not exactly the best quotes to be putting out there given the historical way Marvel has been able to wield in stories together across the various projects in the MCU. Those comments can be interpreted a few ways.

Anyway, as awesome as it was to finally see the Scarlett Witch unleashed (only seen a glimpse of her power on screen when she almost killed Thanos in Endgame 3 years ago), I did find it somewhat jarring from the way her arc concluded in WandaVision.

Yes, she has been consumed by the Darkhold and yes that drives a large proportion of her descent. It doesn't account for all it IMO. She was quite remourseful towards the end of WandaVision for her actions. Her death count in this is ridiculously large. It will be interesting to see what, if any, redemption arc is planned next.

Also - where is Vision? She mentioned him once, just once I recall, at the start in the conversation with Strange re: the multiverse. Majority of the film is her obsessively searching for a universe to be with her sons - however no mention about Vision? Surely there is a universe out there where Vision is also alive and the 4 of them can be together? Again, I just found that odd and inconsistent with WandaVision.

Speaking of the other shows/films, it wasn't quite the Multiverse of Madness I thought it would be. I don't recall him being held to account for his actions in No Way Home, I thought that was the gateway to opening the Multiverse here. Clearly I need to rewatch, as maybe that's what opened the door to him then having those dreams with America Chavez. Another thing I perhaps thought was Sylive killing He Who Remains in Loki is what cracked it open - that remains to be seen however I thought this was the perfect film to then at least reference that event somehow.

I maintain what I said earlier as well - Sinister Strange was killed far too easily. That episode of What If showed the extent of his powers - almost unrecognisable (aside from his appearance) in this. It was a clear misdirect in trailers etc to then mask the real villain.

I also felt that
America Chavez looks like a young, brunette scarlett johansson.

trailers pre movie were jurassic park and thor: love and thunder.

We got the avatar: the way of who gives a * triailer.

Raimi has been quoted in the last few days saying that he hasn't seen all of WandaVision, just key moments from certain episodes that he was told are critical for him and this film. Not exactly the best quotes to be putting out there given the historical way Marvel has been able to wield in stories together across the various projects in the MCU. Those comments can be interpreted a few ways.

Anyway, as awesome as it was to finally see the Scarlett Witch unleashed (only seen a glimpse of her power on screen when she almost killed Thanos in Endgame 3 years ago), I did find it somewhat jarring from the way her arc concluded in WandaVision.

Yes, she has been consumed by the Darkhold and yes that drives a large proportion of her descent. It doesn't account for all it IMO. She was quite remourseful towards the end of WandaVision for her actions. Her death count in this is ridiculously large. It will be interesting to see what, if any, redemption arc is planned next.

Also - where is Vision? She mentioned him once, just once I recall, at the start in the conversation with Strange re: the multiverse. Majority of the film is her obsessively searching for a universe to be with her sons - however no mention about Vision? Surely there is a universe out there where Vision is also alive and the 4 of them can be together? Again, I just found that odd and inconsistent with WandaVision.

Speaking of the other shows/films, it wasn't quite the Multiverse of Madness I thought it would be. I don't recall him being held to account for his actions in No Way Home, I thought that was the gateway to opening the Multiverse here. Clearly I need to rewatch, as maybe that's what opened the door to him then having those dreams with America Chavez. Another thing I perhaps thought was Sylive killing He Who Remains in Loki is what cracked it open - that remains to be seen however I thought this was the perfect film to then at least reference that event somehow.

I maintain what I said earlier as well - Sinister Strange was killed far too easily. That episode of What If showed the extent of his powers - almost unrecognisable (aside from his appearance) in this. It was a clear misdirect in trailers etc to then mask the real villain.

Michael Waldron has apperently said he hadnt seen Wandavision. He did write Loki but the cast has said script was basically done away with when filming and re-shoots began. I dont have the same problems with Wanda's arc because agents of shield explained how destructive the Darkhold is to the reader. So imo that is the true failure of this movie becuase they didnt explain that well enough. I see its a divisive film but im on the side that liked it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Waldron has apperently said he hadnt seen Wandavision. He did write Loki but the cast has said script was basically done away with when filming and re-shoots began. I dont have the same problems with Wanda's arc because agents of shield explained how destructive the Darkhold is to the reader. So imo that is the true failure of this movie becuase they didnt explain that well enough. I see its a divisive film but im on the side that liked it.

I liked it too, it’s not one or the other for me. I enjoyed the film and at the same am highlighting some inconsistencies with it. To the common viewer, yes the lack of context of the impact of Darkhold was quite apparent. Vision being almost forgotten is a big standout for me. WandaVision was supposedly a story of grief, which was beautifully done. The transition from that to here is quite jarring.

Just walking into cinema now and there is a family here with 2 young kids ffs and another with pram.

And another just walked in with the baby sleeping in her arms. I feel like walking out and asking for a refund already.

Funny you should say this, went to Gold Class yesterday and some numpties decided to hold a kids bday in the foyer, screaming their lungs out for 20 minutes straight.....and this is including from the time the movie was meant to start 20 minute earlier..

We were both pretty buggered and shitty from a long day and just ended up getting a refund and seeing it at Hoyts instead.

Just walking into cinema now and there is a family here with 2 young kids ffs and another with pram.

And another just walked in with the baby sleeping in her arms. I feel like walking out and asking for a refund already.
I had a whole row of kids, perhaps 10 years old, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME

200.gif

talking, moaning, in and out of cinema. sole parent responsible did nothing.

oh and some of them were playing with their phones.

WHY DO PEOPLE PLAY WITH PHONES DURING A MOVIE?

I had a whole row of kids, perhaps 10 years old, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME

200.gif

talking, moaning, in and out of cinema. sole parent responsible did nothing.

oh and some of them were playing with their phones.

WHY DO PEOPLE PLAY WITH PHONES DURING A MOVIE?

Wheres Thanos at?

Really wanted to like it, but couldn't.

Wasn't this initially marketed as a horror movie, and then Feige clarified down the line it wasn't? Clash of styles was really evident here.

The movie has so many options and ways to go and just didn't even try to make the best of them.

A LOT of lazy convenient writing that was reminiscent of the final episode of Wanda vision and final episode of Moon Knight.

America (who didn't really know of, but thought the actress and character were great) was rushed and should have been left for another movie or show. We already have Multiverse with Loki and Wanda, why did it need another narrative tool at this point in time?

Strange's scenes with Christine were ultimately pointless to the film IMO. Just shoehorned in to try and give him something else to play off.

The cameos were cool but wasted. (Did love the nod to the animated show with Xavier's chair and X-Men animated series theme)

Loved the horror aspects of the movie but wasn't the ultimate theme of what they were going for.

This just felt like what would happen if Michael Bay did a Marvel film IMO. They should have pulled the Strange storylines from 'What If' because that would have been far better in live action than what the film felt like a poor imitation of.

Just a lazy poorly written film that the action scenes couldn't cover..

I hope this is a once off, but part of me feels like the best of the MCU has well and truly passed and won't ever get close to the Infinity Saga.

Also, he alluded to Spiderman, or Spiderman being a young man/boy, but isn't he supposed to know nothing about Spidermans identity.

The spell was only to forget Peter Parker as Spiderman, not Spiderman or how he acts.

Unless, stranges spell did not include himself shiftyeyes

ive always felt and thought that there's multiverses
Only possible if the multiverse's are finite.

but in dr strange they clearly state that the multiverse has infinite outcomes. If it has infinite outcomes then its impossible for there to to be anything beyond it. as everything that could happen happens within the one multiverse. so there can only be one.

No amount of visual effects could make up for the flimsy plot.

5/10

How the movie should have ended.

The two boys sang their song. Scarlet Witch says "That was ******* s**t, boys. I've had second thoughts. It's all off".

What actually happened.

The plot revolves around the America character not being able to control of her super powers as she has passed through multi-universes. Two lines of dialog from Doctor Strange and she gains full control of her powers and saves the universe.

Only possible if the multiverse's are finite.

but in dr strange they clearly state that the multiverse has infinite outcomes. If it has infinite outcomes then its impossible for there to to be anything beyond it. as everything that could happen happens within the one multiverse. so there can only be one.

As in I’ve always though in real life there alternative universes out there. There’s another you, me etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back