Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Oz Release May 5 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Spoilers incoming!!

prepare black sails GIF by STARZ

I enjoyed it a lot too. The analogy i gave to people is the movie is like going to Disneyland again but going on a rollercoaster instead of the usual merry go round. Its very fast paced with a lot of action and unexpected random turns so some people may not like that.

Best not to bring little kids otherwise theyll probably get scared.

Best not to bring little kids otherwise theyll probably get scared.

Yes very much agree. Not just a few jump scare moments, but I was also surprised they went there with a few gruesome/brutal moments in some battle scenes. Won’t say who or what of course, there were a few audible “holy s**t” reactions spoken by people around me.

Just a bit to unpack after that.

I sort of get why the critics are a bit underwhelmed - this is very much a movie for those of us who’ve done the required reading, so to speak - but I thought it was excellent.

Very glad I dodged all of the leaks.

-Was so excited to see Reed and Black Bolt (Black Bolt!) that I’d temporarily forgotten they’d spoiled Xavier in the trailers, but the yellow chair and the cartoon theme was just chef’s kiss
  • Going to be some fertile freeze frame territory in some of the alternate universe flash throughs after the DVD/Streaming release
  • Of course there was going to be a Bruce Campbell cameo
  • Between Harry Styles as Starfox and Charlize as Clea(? Happy to be corrected) they’re rolling the dice on some big names as fairly obscure characters, which you love to see.
  • In terms of the F4 specifically, I’d bet on the origin story for the 616 versions not having happened yet - reckon we’ll see Stark Tower rebranded as the Baxter Building within the next few movies.
  • Still absolutely none the wiser how they wrap all of this up into the next big crossover.

Last edited:
Just a bit to unpack after that.

I sort of get why the critics are a bit underwhelmed - this is very much a movie for those of us who’ve done the required reading, so to speak - but I thought it was excellent.

Very glad I dodged all of the leaks.

-Was so excited to see Reed and Black Bolt (Black Bolt!) that I’d temporarily forgotten they’d spoiled Xavier in the trailers, but the yellow chair and the cartoon theme was just chef’s kiss
  • Going to be some fertile freeze frame territory in some of the alternate universe flash throughs after the DVD/Streaming release
  • Of course there was going to be a Bruce Campbell cameo
  • Between Harry Styles as Starfox and Charlize as Clea(? Happy to be corrected) they’re rolling the dice on some big names as fairly obscure characters, which you love to see.
  • In terms of the F4 specifically, I’d bet on the origin story for the 616 versions not having happened yet - reckon we’ll see Stark Tower rebranded as the Baxter Building within the next few movies.
  • Still absolutely none the wiser how they wrap all of this up into the next big crossover.

yes the Stark Tower mystery remains, it’s never been revealed who purchased it from Spider-Man Homecoming in 2017 I recall. Don’t ever see it any skyline shots of New York etc. That’s surely no coincidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw an advance screening on Wednesday night.

Enjoyed it but left a bit underwhelmed (my fault for getting sucked into rumours). Thought for a movie that was about the “multiverse of madness” thought there would be more jumps to different universes.

Saw an advance screening on Wednesday night.

Enjoyed it but left a bit underwhelmed (my fault for getting sucked into rumours). Thought for a movie that was about the “multiverse of madness” thought there would be more jumps to different universes.

Perhaps the trailers also misled this. That brief montage of Strange and America Chavez going from universe to universe in the trailers sure did fool me as well (would've loved to have seen more of that Dinosaur universe).

I'll also add, if it was the same Sinister Strange from What If (which I belive it is), I'm surprised how relatively easily he was defeated. That version was an all powerful, all encompasing entity that I actually was going to be recruited to fight Wanda - he could go toe to toe with her.

The marvel universe is really like a giant tv series now. You cant watch them as stand alones.

i think this is part of the appeal of marvel. Its created this giant world with some long story arcs and significant character development.

movie critics who prefer the short story narrative which makes up most movies hate this. This is where the movie critics are wrong.

Reading some of the critic's reviews, the overall criticism I saw was they felt the story didn't connect to them. But I felt the opposite. I think the problem is that this movie relies on the audience having watched WandaVision and What If. Maybe the critics haven't watched those series? I felt immediately invested in the story, though some of the dialogue was cumbersome. I do agree with that observation. If you don't know the backstory, then the film's frantic pace might leave you in its wake. But what a ride. The horror elements Sam Raimi brought to it were perfect.

Thought the movie looked really nice and the more horror elements were fantastic, but the story and dialogue wss a massive miss for me. Really struggled to enjoy it. Just little things like the way Black Bolt died, he has spent his whole life training himself to not get spooked or worried and Wanda makes him blow himself up almost instantly? Please, incredibly lazy writing.

Wanted to see a bit more wild multiverse stuff, but thought it was very good. Shame the Cruise Iron Man rumour was false.

Raimi was clearly allowed to cut loose and it turned into the MCU’s Evil Dead for about 20 mins.

Last edited:
Yes very much agree. Not just a few jump scare moments, but I was also surprised they went there with a few gruesome/brutal moments in some battle scenes. Won’t say who or what of course, there were a few audible “holy s**t” reactions spoken by people around me.

Just walking into cinema now and there is a family here with 2 young kids ffs and another with pram.

And another just walked in with the baby sleeping in her arms. I feel like walking out and asking for a refund already.

Just walking into cinema now and there is a family here with 2 young kids ffs and another with pram.

And another just walked in with the baby sleeping in her arms. I feel like walking out and asking for a refund already.

I think we had a similar discussion in The Batman thread - extraordinary decision to take babies into films like this. The sensory overload can be just too much - frightening for the babies themselves and very inconsiderate to other moviegoers. Baffling stuff.

Enjoy the film, hopefully.

I think we had a similar discussion in The Batman thread - extraordinary decision to take babies into films like this. The sensory overload can be just too much - frightening for the babies themselves and very inconsiderate to other moviegoers. Baffling stuff.

Enjoy the film, hopefully.

Not to mention the time.

Enjoyed this. Was worth sitting through the excrement of Eternals to get No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness.

This film is dripping with Sam Raimi, no surprise him being the director, and while I knew there was to be "horror" elements to this, I was just surprised how much of his style he brought. Some of the very cheap, B-movie effects (like stretching the screen ratio) I did not expect to see in this kind of film.

As far as lazy writing goes, Wong giving away the Darkhold existing and location all to spare some of his wizard troupe was the biggest trip up for mine. Also, very disappointed there was no Wong pun used by Raimi... "you've messed with Wong guy" or something similarly cheesy, please.

Also could have done with an "I..... live!" when Zombie Strange was resurrected. Yeah, it was living Strange in him, but still. Give me some schlock, baby!

The cameos of Reed and Prof X are the most interesting for mine. Fan service or setting us up for both the F4 and X franchises? I know they'll do F4 with John K as a 616 version, but with NWH giving us Maguire and Garfield Spider-Men, would it not have been better to use a different Reed actor? I dunno, they used Cumberbatch for all the Stranges I guess, but just weird to see him narf it. And I can't imagine them going with Patrick Stewart when they do get to X-Men.

Overall, enjoyed. It was less big movie than I expected (think Civil War) but still really good as a Strange movie.

The good news is all the young children were quiet but there was a group of teens that didnt shut up until police were called to take em about 1 and half hours into the film because they refused to leave when security asked them to.

Apart from that I liked the film but I wasnt in a great mood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back