FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

McCoy was actually getting the show back on track after the poorer years so it was disappointing that it got canned. Some of his episodes were great.

Yep, once the producers decided to ditch appealing to young kids and focus more on the fact that the Doctor was a manipulative bastard, from what I recall, the last part of his era was much more enjoyable.

Crikey, some interesting reactions here.

My stance: Not in favour of the Doctor being female. It seems quite pandering (ratings are down, so try something different.) and really only a recent development. The show's had some strong female characters, and I would rather follow said characters than seeing a rehashed version of the doctor. That's a bit naff, if you know what I mean. (I'd rather see an awesome female legacy carve out their own legacy. We did have Sarah Jane Adventures and that River Song thing. Heck, why not bring back Romana? Didn’t stop the series from bringing back Daleks. Remember that Dalek episode from the 9th Doctor’s season?)

I still find it funny that the 13th Doctor’s first companion is lesbian. That surely can’t be coincidental. (So we’re not even having a male companion off the bat).

Ah well, we’ll see how it goes.

Also, I liked McCoy’s era, especially near the end. I also like Colin’s era, especially when allowed to be on radio. It was a lot of fun. Then again, I really like the 5th, 6th, and 7th doctor eras the best, lol.

I still find it funny that the 13th Doctor’s first companion is lesbian. That surely can’t be coincidental. (So we’re not even having a male companion off the bat).

Where'd that come from? Bill has gone off (after being a cyberman) to travel the universe with the water girl from her first episode.

As far as I'm aware, we have no idea who will be the companion yet. Doubt they'd have two lesbian companions in a row though.

I don't have a problem with them casting a female Doctor. For most of his existence the Doctor was essentially asexual. Some of his companions fell in love with him, but he remained completely oblivious. That only changed with Rose/David Tennant... and it was a change for the worse.

I don't think it has ever been explicitly stated that Time Lords couldn't change gender when the regenerated. That said, I don't remember any who had changed gender, until Missy/Master in the last couple of years. I doubt the producers of the legacy series would have any objections - I just don't think they even thought of the idea.

It's a pity that Capaldi is leaving the role. His first season was truly awful, with very few good episodes to redeem the tripe like "Shoot the Moon". His second series was infinitely better, largely because all the URST was left behind, allowing them to focus once again on telling high quality stories.

The defining qualities of the Doctor are his goodness, incorruptibility, his love for humanity (and humans), and the fact that he's the smartest person in the room. None of those qualities are defined by gender.

I see no reason why Jodie Whittaker shouldn't be a very good Doctor - it all depends on the quality of the writing.

Last edited:
Yep, once the producers decided to ditch appealing to young kids and focus more on the fact that the Doctor was a manipulative bastard, from what I recall, the last part of his era was much more enjoyable.

They had it right in 77.

On 11 February 1977, the Daily Express published an interview with Robert Holmes (Dr Who Writer) under the title "Who do you think you are, scaring my innocent child?", in which Holmes said "Parents would be terribly irresponsible to leave a six-year-old to watch it alone. It's geared to the intelligent fourteen-year-old, and I wouldn't let any child under ten see it."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Holmes_(scriptwriter)#Doctor_Who

I don't have a problem with them casting a female Doctor. For most of his existence the Doctor was essentially asexual. Some of his companions fell in love with him, but he remained completely oblivious. That only changed with Rose/David Tennant... and it was a change for the worse.
"You're a beautiful woman... probably..."

I don't think it has ever been explicitly stated that Time Lords couldn't change gender when the regenerated. That said, I don't remember any who had changed gender, until Missy/Master in the last couple of years. I doubt the producers of the legacy series would have any objections - I just don't think they even thought of the idea.

It's a pity that Capaldi is leaving the role. His first season was truly awful, with very good episodes to redeem the tripe like "Shoot the Moon". His second series was infinitely better, largely because all the URST was left behind, allowing them to focus once again on telling high quality stories.

The defining qualities of the Doctor are his goodness, incorruptibility, his love for humanity (and humans), and the fact that he's the smartest person in the room. None of those qualities are defined by gender.

I see no reason why Jodie Whittaker shouldn't be a very good Doctor - it all depends on the quality of the writing.

I thought there were some fantastic episodes in his first season coupled with some terrible ones as you mentioned, but Capaldi was brilliant throughout. His second season was definitely the high point.

I'll still be watching, and wish her all the best...I'm still getting over the fact Capaldi is going though, his theatrical monologues were so moving they will be hard to replicate.

The way they wrote the character Missy over the last few seasons was incredible, particularly her ultimate demise when she killed her past self. That fills me with confidence that the new direction in the show is a positive one, so long as the writing is still up to standard it doesn't matter who the doctor is portrayed by. The writers of the show are the most hardcore fans of the show in the world researching the world of Doctor Who's continuity to ensure any changes can be justified or explained, if they say the Doctors gender can change than I'm sure it can change. I just don't want to see her come across one of her previous incarnations and fancy them like the Master...although that may just be highlighting his narcissism. Jodie won't have a free pass as the show has some of the harshest critics in the world but personally I will be reserving judgement until I actually see her performance.

100% agree with this.

Some of my thoughts on Doctor Who:

Old vs. New Series - The classic series (1963-1989) is better than the new series (2005 -)

Best Episode - Seeds of Doom (Tom Baker, 1975) - Two pods are found deep in the Antarctic permafrost, which contain deadly alien plants called Krynoids.

Scariest Episode - Mind of Evil (John Pertwee, 1971) - A machine used to cure criminals seems to develop a mind of its own, using people's fears to kill them.

Funniest Episode - Horns of Nimon (Tom Baker, 1979) - Some fans hate this story, but I think it is hilarious, especially the performance by the late Graham Crowden who played the fawning, sycophantic priest Soldeed.

Worst Episode - The Mutants (John Pertwee, 1972) - I have obviously never seen all of the episodes, and never will as some have been missing for decades, but this episode always stood out for me as the most boring story I have seen.

Best Monsters - The Daleks

Hottest Female Companion - Polly from the William Hartnell/Patrick Troughton series in the mid 1960s. Sadly, very few of the stories that contain this beautiful blonde are complete in their entirety.

Biggest Time Travel Paradox - Day of the Daleks (John Pertwee, 1972)

Unpopular Opinion - Davros should have stayed dead after 'Genesis of the Daleks' in 1975, and not been resurrected. His presence in subsequent Dalek stories tended to weaken the effectiveness of the evil of the Daleks.

Favorite Piece of Trivia - John Pertwee was the only Doctor never to encounter the Cybermen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crikey, some interesting reactions here.

My stance: Not in favour of the Doctor being female. It seems quite pandering (ratings are down, so try something different.) and really only a recent development. The show's had some strong female characters, and I would rather follow said characters than seeing a rehashed version of the doctor. That's a bit naff, if you know what I mean. (I'd rather see an awesome female legacy carve out their own legacy. We did have Sarah Jane Adventures and that River Song thing. Heck, why not bring back Romana? Didn’t stop the series from bringing back Daleks. Remember that Dalek episode from the 9th Doctor’s season?)

Ah well, we’ll see how it goes.

Also, I liked McCoy’s era, especially near the end. I also like Colin’s era, especially when allowed to be on radio. It was a lot of fun. Then again, I really like the 5th, 6th, and 7th doctor eras the best, lol.

I agree about the Doctor being female, it is ridiculous.

How about an episode where the Doctor is reunited with Romana, who has now regenerated into a fat, balding 40-year-old man who lives on a council estate? How about the Master regenerating into an 18-year-old female university student? Or the Rani now masquerading in the form of a 25-year-old African-American man? How absurd would that be?

The master regenerated as a women and we all accepted that.

It' a show literally about time travel and we are worried it's main characer now has a vagina? Just pretend she/he is disguising himself or herself or whatever.
Did we all?

Does anyone know which of the Doctor's enemies are going to be in the movie that's coming out this week?

You mean Shada? It's not a movie, it's a recently completed episode from the Tom Baker era.

Here is Jodie in her new outfit and have to say I'm no fan of it
Thirteenth_Doctor_%28Doctor_Who%29.jpg

Also here she is in Peter's beaten up old costume and for mine that looks a lot better on her
469AA6D500000578-5107631-image-a-39_1511356694215.jpg

469AA75F00000578-0-image-a-15_1511355816128.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back