FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

How long can the doctor continue regenerating?

Time Lords can regenerate 12 times for 13 total incarnations. While Matt Smith was Doctor #11, if you add in the War Doctor and Tennant's regeration into himself, he was the 13th. Then he was granted a new cycle of regenerations resulting in Capaldi. So Jodie Whittaker is the 13th Doctor, but 2/13 out of the new cycle of regenerations so there's at least 11 more ossible after her. If they keep up the 3 season tradition it can go on another 35 seasons before the limit becomes a problem again.

At that point if the show's still going they'll arrange another cycle or just grant unlimited regenerations.

Time Lords can regenerate 12 times for 13 total incarnations. While Matt Smith was Doctor #11, if you add in the War Doctor and Tennant's regeration into himself, he was the 13th. Then he was granted a new cycle of regenerations resulting in Capaldi. So Jodie Whittaker is the 13th Doctor, but 2/13 out of the new cycle of regenerations so there's at least 11 more ossible after her. If they keep up the 3 season tradition it can go on another 35 seasons before the limit becomes a problem again.

At that point if the show's still going they'll arrange another cycle or just grant unlimited regenerations.
Yes I know they can regenerate 12 times, it was a question more so of ‘welll how long can they keep it going?’ As in, creating plot lines for perpetual regeneration it seems. Personally I liked the concept of just being 12, so only 13 doctors. I think it’s important to honour the classic series in that sense.

Well The Master has seemingly used up all his regeneration by the time of The Deadly Assassin, and was offered a new regeneration cycle by The High Council in The Five Doctors as well.

Honestly doubt the current series will go on as long as the original run (26 seasons).

Well The Master has seemingly used up all his regeneration by the time of The Deadly Assassin, and was offered a new regeneration cycle by The High Council in The Five Doctors as well.

Honestly doubt the current series will go on as long as the original run (26 seasons).

It may not, though I don't see them ever making a final episode. It may get to the point where it isn't renewed, but there'll always be the chance of another revival.

Yes I know they can regenerate 12 times, it was a question more so of ‘welll how long can they keep it going?’ As in, creating plot lines for perpetual regeneration it seems. Personally I liked the concept of just being 12, so only 13 doctors. I think it’s important to honour the classic series in that sense.
I don't think that would be a good reason to end a show that people enjoy. The 12 regeration limit doesn't have any special meaning, it just gave a number that nobody at the time thought they'd ever have to worry about. The show's been going for nearli 60 years and they've only had to write in one extension so it's not like it's a commonly recurring issue they have to find the plot for.

It's an interesting bit of lore, but you can pretty much just consider The Doctor effectively immortal.

The deadly assassin, the story which led Mary Whitehouse to effectively kill off the goth horror period.

From a continuity perspective, have the writers missed something? If you go back to ‘the ultimate foe’, the final instalment of the Trial of a time lord, we learn from the master that the Valeyard is an ‘amalgamation of the darker sides of the Doctor, existing somewhere between his 12th and final incarnation’.

Now, maybe I haven’t picked it up, or just missed it, but did the Valeyard ever come back? And should he have? Personally I think so. If you’re bringing the master back then I think the darker sides of the dr need exploration. Or maybe it’s the War Doctor? I might have missed.

There’s a big finish audio “Trial of the Valeyard” starring Baker, C and and Michael Jayston reprising his role. There’s a lot of info about how he came to be the Valeyard - hard to explain, has to do with the thirteenth regeneration and how it can adversely affect a time lord (mutants/freaks/out of phase etc.) - it’s why Rassilon decreed only 12 regenerations - and how the doctor spent time studying/experimenting with the process of regeneration itself trying to help those affected and ended up “creating” the Valeyard - It’s been a while since I listened to it so it’s a little hazy in the memory but I do remember really enjoying it (Jayston has a marvellous voice, almost Paul Darrowesque).

He also shows up in the Time War series 3 with McGann but I haven’t got to it yet (only came out in August and I’m still making my way through the Diary of River Song series 6 and it’s next on my list)

There’s a big finish audio “Trial of the Valeyard” starring Baker, C and and Michael Jayston reprising his role. There’s a lot of info about how he came to be the Valeyard - hard to explain, has to do with the thirteenth regeneration and how it can adversely affect a time lord (mutants/freaks/out of phase etc.) - it’s why Rassilon decreed only 12 regenerations - and how the doctor spent time studying/experimenting with the process of regeneration itself trying to help those affected and ended up “creating” the Valeyard - It’s been a while since I listened to it so it’s a little hazy in the memory but I do remember really enjoying it (Jayston has a marvellous voice, almost Paul Darrowesque).

He also shows up in the Time War series 3 with McGann but I haven’t got to it yet (only came out in August and I’m still making my way through the Diary of River Song series 6 and it’s next on my list)
Interesting summary. Thanks for the input. I remember getting the TOAT box set on video when I was about 11 or so, hadn’t really had a lot of the C Baker collection until then. I’ve always wondered if the new series would touch on it or not.

Ah Paul Darrow. RIP. He was my favourite childhood character in Avon. Blake’s 7 is a great program. It also had the most perfect ending to a tv series I think.

I'm old and remember seeing the first series c.1963 with William Hartnell as the Doc.
Is it still possible to see eps of this or have they been erased like so many other BBC classics?
There are 1 or 2 available ie the Rome episodes are on dvd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm old and remember seeing the first series c.1963 with William Hartnell as the Doc.
Is it still possible to see eps of this or have they been erased like so many other BBC classics?
Most of the Hartnell stories are still around, and are available on DVD. Patrick Troughton is the Doctor most affected by the erasure of the old tapes - roughly 2/3 of his stories have been lost.

On SM-T510 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep they have most of Hartnell, they've restored some with animation using the original sound tracks as well.

A lot got wiped by the BBC. Some were kept, and some others returned from overseas sales (or found much later). From memory the first Doctor's regeneration only exists because an episode of Blue Peter that was retained happened to show it.
Missing episodes : https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/06/a-brief-history-of-doctor-whos-missing-episodes/
Most of the others are available in some form from the BBC. I'm not sure if all have been released yet. Every now and then there are rumours of more episodes bring found, but they don't notmally come to anything. Odds are the missing ones are now truly missing.

Audio exists in some form of all episodes, often just jome cassettes recording audio of the broadcast, and some missing episodes have been animated (badly in most cases) either to original or slightly edited audio. I think the latest to get the animation treatment was The Macra Terror.

A lot got wiped by the BBC. Some were kept, and some others returned from overseas sales (or found much later). From memory the first Doctor's regeneration only exists because an episode of Blue Peter that was retained happened to show it.
Missing episodes : https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/06/a-brief-history-of-doctor-whos-missing-episodes/
Most of the others are available in some form from the BBC. I'm not sure if all have been released yet. Every now and then there are rumours of more episodes bring found, but they don't notmally come to anything. Odds are the missing ones are now truly missing.

Audio exists in some form of all episodes, often just jome cassettes recording audio of the broadcast, and some missing episodes have been animated (badly in most cases) either to original or slightly edited audio. I think the latest to get the animation treatment was The Macra Terror.

Yep, next one to get the animation treatment is Fury from The Deep..

My issue with The Macra Terror animation ia tnay they took creative liberties with certain scenes involving the Macra, which deviated from the original source material/transmitted episodes.

The Power of The Daleks and The Invasion episodes 1 and 4 are the best animated missing episodes so far (although The Moonbase was pretty good too)

Would love to see more missing Hartnell episodes/stories animated, especially the historical classics like Marco Polo, The Massacre and The Smugglers.

You Gen Z's ... got no patience.

:grin:

The episode aired here Sunday night on TV, it was on iView from Sunday morning.

I really liked it again, loved the hook at the end, could be a great arc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back