FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with The Master here. I'm hoping he gets a decent arc and not just the couple of episodes he usually gets. Missy was very underutilized.
Really? The Master is becoming up there with the Daleks and Cybermen for 'I couldn't be bothered this week' episode writing. Missy was a blatant softening up for a female Doctor, so her stories were secondary (and poor in general). If they want a Time Lord adversary then lots of old time fans would like The Rani, rather than the Master(/Mistress) version 85.

Really? The Master is becoming up there with the Daleks and Cybermen for 'I couldn't be bothered this week' episode writing. Missy was a blatant softening up for a female Doctor, so her stories were secondary (and poor in general). If they want a Time Lord adversary then lots of old time fans would like The Rani, rather than the Master(/Mistress) version 85.

The Rani was in, what, two episodes? The Master has always been a consistent foe of the Doctor since the Third Doctor.

I'm loving this potential exploration of the origin of the Time Lords.

Frankly I think they should have made O/The Master a corporal form of Omega and those alien allies of his, creatures from the Anti-matter Universe.

Also Omega has/had a deep seated hatred of The Time Lords who abandoned him after he helped give them Time Travel, so he would have had legit reasons to destroy Gallifrey.

Feels like Chibnall missed an opportunity there imo.

Frankly I think they should have made O/The Master a corporal form of Omega and those alien allies of his, creatures from the Anti-matter Universe.

Also Omega has/had a deep seated hatred of The Time Lords who abandoned him after he helped give them Time Travel, so he would have had legit reasons to destroy Gallifrey.

Except it would have been lost on a lot of the audience without an info dump.

A return of Omega would be good, and that could have fitted. As it was the aliens were never truly explained (and might come back at season's end). Some of the time with them, or in Paris, could have been spent on Omega. I didn't think of that, but it could have worked,

But this week's ep3 on iView.
Not bad, not great, and then the twists produce zero care factor, before it gets preachy. And not in a subtle way - I couldn't watch the last couple of minutes it got so terribly forced. The last few scene or two of ep3 that i managed to force myself through might be the worst moments of the Chibnall era.

It was terrible without the end 3 minutes

So many WTF plot holes. So many shake head moments. Poorly written

I dunno, I didn't mind the plot too much, although the graphics were weirdly bad.

Typical of the Chibnall era. We get a couple of good episodes followed by an episode that is somewhere between poor and downright terrible. TBH, I lost interest around halfway through that episode. Unnecessary filler that went nowhere just to shove a political message down our throats.

What an episode!
Have to agree

Finally there is some hope for some things to happen

I have been banging on about Gallifrey since the last episode last year. Now it seems we might be slowly edging our way there

As soon as I heard the voice I knew

The identity of Ruth was well hidden until the shovel hit solid bits

This has potential - I hope they dont screw it up

Have to agree

Finally there is some hope for some things to happen

I have been banging on about Gallifrey since the last episode last year. Now it seems we might be slowly edging our way there

As soon as I heard the voice I knew

The identity of Ruth was well hidden until the shovel hit solid bits

This has potential - I hope they dont screw it up

I might be alone here but I actually got more River vibes from her as she was striding towards the Doctor, the way she was talking, her posture, etc. I'm not sure how they're going to resolve her being who she is but it's certainly a great hook and has me the most interested I've been in the show since probably the Matt Smith seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might be alone here but I actually got more River vibes from her as she was striding towards the Doctor, the way she was talking, her posture, etc. I'm not sure how they're going to resolve her being who she is but it's certainly a great hook and has me the most interested I've been in the show since probably the Matt Smith seasons.
Fair call that one now I look back

I agree 100% with the River vibes and it was the first thing that popped into my head.

Best episode since the last 2 episodes of season 9 with Capaldi's Doc. I hold out no hope that the quality will remain at that consistency but it would be nice and exactly what the show needs if it does.

Loved the episode
I think we're in a parallel universe. The Master has regressed from Missy's personal growth so is either an earlier regeneration, or not the same Master. I am a believer in pre-Hartnell incarnations of the Time Lord who would go on to become known as The Doctor, but I don't think Doctor Ruth is one of them. If she was Pre-Hartnell there'd be no reason that her TARDIS looks like a police box.

Loved the episode
I think we're in a parallel universe. The Master has regressed from Missy's personal growth so is either an earlier regeneration, or not the same Master. I am a believer in pre-Hartnell incarnations of the Time Lord who would go on to become known as The Doctor, but I don't think Doctor Ruth is one of them. If she was Pre-Hartnell there'd be no reason that her TARDIS looks like a police box.

The more I think about it the more they missed the trick having her as a future River (I think), but an alternate universe would also make a lot of sense given as you say the Police Box exterior.

One theory I love is that she's an alternate Season 6B Doctor. If you aren't familiar with this, after the Second Doctor was sentenced to a regeneration on Earth, he was first used by the Time Lords to carry out a series of missions. There's a few books about these missions so it's more than just a theory, and it also explains why in the Five Doctors and Two Doctors, the Second Doctor remembers Zoe and Jamie leaving him, even though that supposedly happened right before his regeneration. The Time Lords may have used the Second Doctor as well as other regenerations, then restored his cycle back to how it was to regenerate him into the Third Doctor. Only flaw with this theory is her not recognising the Sonic Screwdriver.

But mainly? I just love they've given us something to speculate and theorise over. It's been sorely lacking in the show for some time now. This episode was actually the most fun I've had with Who since the Smith/Moffat days.

The more I think about it the more they missed the trick having her as a future River (I think), but an alternate universe would also make a lot of sense given as you say the Police Box exterior.

One theory I love is that she's an alternate Season 6B Doctor. If you aren't familiar with this, after the Second Doctor was sentenced to a regeneration on Earth, he was first used by the Time Lords to carry out a series of missions. There's a few books about these missions so it's more than just a theory, and it also explains why in the Five Doctors and Two Doctors, the Second Doctor remembers Zoe and Jamie leaving him, even though that supposedly happened right before his regeneration. The Time Lords may have used the Second Doctor as well as other regenerations, then restored his cycle back to how it was to regenerate him into the Third Doctor. Only flaw with this theory is her not recognising the Sonic Screwdriver.

But mainly? I just love they've given us something to speculate and theorise over. It's been sorely lacking in the show for some time now. This episode was actually the most fun I've had with Who since the Smith/Moffat days.
Given the Morbius Doctors we can't be sure that Hartnell was the first in a 13 incarnation cycle. IMO there were for sure incarnations before him and we know that 11 was the final incarnation of 13 and the other 12 are all currently accounted for.

As you say, the Time Lords may have granted additional regenerations in between 2 and 3 to keep the count correct. It is also possible that 1 wasn't actually the first in a cycle, perhaps the last of the old cycle and 2 was actually the first which would leave room for an extra (though you'd think 11 would have known this and realised the count was off).

For that reason I lean towards alternate universe but will be keen to see where it goes.

EIther way, I would like the pre-Hartnell incarnations to be explored at some point. My personal theory is that they were bad and the horrible things they did were the reason for the Doctor taking that name and wanting to heal. She's trying to atone for her past.

Given the Morbius Doctors we can't be sure that Hartnell was the first in a 13 incarnation cycle. IMO there were for sure incarnations before him and we know that 11 was the final incarnation of 13 and the other 12 are all currently accounted for.

As you say, the Time Lords may have granted additional regenerations in between 2 and 3 to keep the count correct. It is also possible that 1 wasn't actually the first in a cycle, perhaps the last of the old cycle and 2 was actually the first which would leave room for an extra (though you'd think 11 would have known this and realised the count was off).

For that reason I lean towards alternate universe but will be keen to see where it goes.

EIther way, I would like the pre-Hartnell incarnations to be explored at some point. My personal theory is that they were bad and the horrible things they did were the reason for the Doctor taking that name and wanting to heal. She's trying to atone for her past.

Yeah although we can be sure after the 11th Doctor's issues at Trenzalore being in his last body of his cycle, being 1st-8th, War Doctor, 9, 10, 10's second, and then 11. What could be the case is he may have had a previous cycle he forgot about, although then that raises questions of why the TARDIS was still frozen as a police box when we saw the 1st Doctor steal it as a cylinder.

Will be very interesting.

RIP Nicholas Parsons, who played Reverend Parsons in the classic series adventure The Curse of Fenric

images

In Aussie context terms, having Parsons play such a dramatic role in a serious sci-fi show like Dr Who would be like Tony Barber or Baby John Burgess in Farscape.

Its something that has bugged me for a while with the alternate universes. Why did "Pete's World" need the Doctor from our universe? If there are parallel universes, wouldn't some (most?) have parallel Doctors.

Whether they are going down that path or the "one of many possible futures" that was an annoying end to the annoying preachiness of Orphan 55 remains to be seen.
I suspect they're going to double down on that with mulitple co-existing timelines, and have to resolve which is the true Doctor (tied in with the restoration of Gallifrey). I really hope they're not rehashing the "insert Doctor here" trick as with John Hurt, except with an incarnation hidden from the Doctor herself. That could work but I suspect is beyoind the capability of the current crop of writers to not royally hash beyond belief.

At least there are some threads to pick up on and bring together. An alternate Doctor and a Timeless Child, the two must be tied together - but not necessarily this season.

edit: removed spoiler tag - also, if the newly introduced Doctor is a forgotten pre-Hartnell incarnation or another Hurt style additional, unless the latter is handled surprisingly well, just sack Chibnall now and don't show the rest of the series. Don't follow up until someone comes up with a fix for what may otherwise become a shark jumping moment that can never be recovered from.

Last edited:
I was thinking along the same line. I mean, I watched it 2 nights ago and I can barely even remember what happened. It is typical Who, though. Have a great episode then follow it up with average filler for no reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back