FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

So Timelash is a stone cold classic... OK, wow

Better than any story from the Graham Williams/Douglas Adams era bar City of Death.

In fact aside from the Hinchcliffe era and season 18, there is more bad/mediocre stories in Tom Baker's era than good ones.

So what is it about Timelash that elevates it to stone cold classic status for you? Not trolling, genuinely interested.

Not a stone cold classic, but it's enjoyable and fun if you make allowances for Paul Darrow's fun and outrageous Ham performance (as payback for Colin Baker's similarly OTT guest appearance in Blake's 7 a couple of years previously), a fun male protagonist in Herbert (whom I stayed on as a companion to Sixie and Peri), plus the Board is a pretty cool looking villain, with a decent motive (if cliched).

The only part I think let's it down is the Bandrils, which hopefully is rectified with the new optional CGI in the boxset.

Whatever its flaws are, Timelash is never boring (least in my opinion)

The worst Who (least in the classic series) are stories/serials that are so boring and have no energy, such as The Dominators, Underworld, The Armageddon Factor, Terminus etc

I have found myself a lot more forgiving of previously bad rep stories like Time and The Rani and Paradise Towers in recent years, cause despite either being poorly written (TATR) or poorly directed (PT), they just have quintessential fun and humour in them.

In hindsight I don't honestly believe S22 is the best series in Doctor Who history (Season 7 is) but I have always been a proud champion of it, and am very happy to see the positive reception the news of its forthcoming blu-ray release has gotten in fandom generally

Out of interest, were you around for season 22's original transmission, or did you come across it later on?

I was 5/6 when it initially was transmitted here on ABC TV (Colin is my first Doctor and Vengeance on Varos was my first clear memory of a story I watched)

Happily I was too young to be around all the toxic fans and controversy about the show at the time.

Was only when I joined organised fandom in 1996 (I was 16) that i found out how horribly Colin Baker and to a lesser extent JN-T were treated by fandom at the time
I am a bit protective of Colin and Sixie for that reason.

I am reading this gem at the moment

51H25MxN+cL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Happily my Childhood was spent reading the brilliant Target Novelisation range (RIP Uncle Terry)

They played a big part in me becoming a lifelong bookworm (as well as Whovian)
Still bitter I managed to have/own a previous copy of the Wheel in Space Novelisation Mum bought for me at North Ringwood newsagent and I lost it many years ago, it's one of the most rare valuable Novelisations on the market these days.

I was 5/6 when it initially was transmitted here on ABC TV (Colin is my first Doctor and Vengeance on Varos was my first clear memory of a story I watched)

That explains a great deal. Formative memories are very powerful, aren't they? I'm about ten years older than you and one of my first memories is of Linx taking his helmet off in The Time Warrior. Even now it gives me a little thrill!

My first memory of watching Who was Inferno, which I watched on some dodgy tape I'd borrowed from the library. I have no idea why I watched it, but I have very vivid clear memories of the climax of the story with the lava going on the TARDIS as well as the mutation of the scientist earlier in the story.

I then watched the very first episode when it aired on ABC in what, 2002? So weirdly enough I actually watched via Classic Who before NuWho was even a thing despite being born in 1992.

Oh, you probably don't have Facebook.

Christopher Eccleston is coming to a one day Supernova Con in March in Melbourne

I will probably go for the Q and A panel though, I can't justify those prices of an Autograph and or photo with him though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those prices are usually set by the company/event themselves, as there would be a lot of costs to cover with that and it's not just going in Eccleston's pocket. I think I've seen comparable fees for other actors.

Those prices are usually set by the company/event themselves, as there would be a lot of costs to cover with that and it's not just going in Eccleston's pocket. I think I've seen comparable fees for other actors.

To be fair, i have not be to any of these conventions in years (and I do realize part of these prices goes towards the organizers recouping in their costs for flying him over and accommodation) but in these tough economic times, I can't afford to pay them (although I could) for probably any star really.

To be fair, i have not be to any of these conventions in years (and I do realize part of these prices goes towards the organizers recouping in their costs for flying him over and accommodation) but in these tough economic times, I can't afford to pay them (although I could) for probably any star really.

You can't afford them or you could? Bit confused haha.

You can't afford them or you could? Bit confused haha.

Well I could if I wanted to, but not during current times where I am currently only being employed part time.

Haven't got as much disposable income as I have in the past, so got to be a bit more fiscally minded.

I've only ever been to one of these multi-franchise mega conventions and didn't really enjoy it that much. That said I do perk up when a Who alumnus comes to one. The prices you're quoting don't seem excessive for modern standards but I couldn't possibly justify spending that amount on a two-second scribble. I'm not going to think less of him for trying to make a living though, or for taking advantage of his standing in the fan community. Good luck to him.

Does anyone think we'd be likely to hear anything all that interesting from his appearance/interview? As much as I think he's a great actor, I think he's already said everything he's likely to say publicly about his short stint on the show.

Does anyone think we'd be likely to hear anything all that interesting from his appearance/interview? As much as I think he's a great actor, I think he's already said everything he's likely to say publicly about his short stint on the show.

Yeah he's not likely to say anything he hasn't already said which you can see on YT for free (NYCC if I remember rightly).

I guess he might say something new about the Big Finish audios he's done more recently or possibly answer questions on his availability for 60th Anniversary if he's asked by RTD.

That might be a good question actually:

"If asked, would you consider returning in the 60th Anniversary series or is it a definite 'no' given the production team you complained about during your time on the show is back in charge again?"

Yeah he's not likely to say anything he hasn't already said which you can see on YT for free (NYCC if I remember rightly).

I guess he might say something new about the Big Finish audios he's done more recently or possibly answer questions on his availability for 60th Anniversary if he's asked by RTD.

That might be a good question actually:

"If asked, would you consider returning in the 60th Anniversary series or is it a definite 'no' given the production team you complained about during your time on the show is back in charge again?"

I suspect the second half of the question answers the first half.

Well he could always say 'I acknowledge now that it was tough for the producers back in that first series and have seen and heard that it's a much smoother process 15 years later. I always accept or refuse jobs based on the script I am given, so it would totally depend on that.'

In my dreams he would say 'The fans have been absolutely FAN-TASTIC to me since 2005 and maybe, just maybe, I owe them one more show.' :)

he has categorically stated he will never work for the BBC again, hence his absence from the 50th.

Ummmm what?

His new BBC TV series - 'Dodger' started broadcasting last week in the UK...

And he read Moffat's 50th Anniversary scripts before turning down the opportunity..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back