FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

Only criticism I have of the Pertwee era is they probably went to the well with The Master a little bit too much, bit other than that, it's the most consistently strong era of Who from start to finish.

Two of my favourite Pertwee stories often fly under the radar in fandom, Carnival of Monsters, and Invasion of The Dinosaurs !!!

In hindsight, I do think they missed an opportunity of sorts to try write a background of Captain Yates treachery by having him been seriously affected and traumatized by what he saw at Global Chemicals in The Green Death, that would have been a really good and believable character arc, but its a very good plot twist though.
That was certainly what was written to have occurred in the novelization of Dinosaurs.

Only criticism I have of the Pertwee era is they probably went to the well with The Master a little bit too much, bit other than that, it's the most consistently strong era of Who from start to finish.

Two of my favourite Pertwee stories often fly under the radar in fandom, Carnival of Monsters, and Invasion of The Dinosaurs !!!

In hindsight, I do think they missed an opportunity of sorts to try write a background of Captain Yates treachery by having him been seriously affected and traumatized by what he saw at Global Chemicals in The Green Death, that would have been a really good and believable character arc, but its a very good plot twist though.
There were lots of script ideas that were tossed when Roger Delgado died, unfortunately. Some were kept and re-worked for Baker's first year and some never saw the light of day. A Captain Yates back story would've been good. I've always liked the Pertwee era, he was an authoritative Doctor with good humor when appropriate. He came across to me as the smartest man in the universe. They did well with a limited budget, but they had great writers back then.

No, sorry. I was really looking forward to this and so wanted to enjoy it but this was a huge let down. Effects mostly pretty good but otherwise dire. Chibnall just doesn't seem to be capable of allowing the story to flow naturally, he has to have his characters explain the entire plot in excruciating detail. It's as frustrating as hell that Jodie won't get the chance to properly shine under his stewardship, and I dread what he will do to the returning characters in the next special.

What happened to the sea monster? Why are the Sea Devils now capable of teleportation? How does a single person sail a ship designed to be worked by dozens?

It was painfully obvious that the horizon beyond the sides of the ship was a couple of metres away.

I feel Chibnall has had more than enough time to get to grips with making Doctor Who - he just can't do it. RTD should be putting Maxine Alderton (Villa Diodati, Village of the Angels) on as an offsider with a view to taking over after him - she gets it.

The review

Production was fine , the Sea Devil costume was fine. The story was nearly there but it was a filler episode that wouldn't have been out if place in Jodie's first season

Just too much blah blah blah

The will they won't they was ehh - interesting that episode 4 with Chris Noth introduces the concept of is Yaz gay when her mother asks if they are together.

This did nothing to move the story on and let's be honest the exciting part was the end trailer

4/10

Gonna be honest - the trailer did not excite me at all. I'm a huge classic series fan, and loved these two characters but I've completely lost faith that Chibnall will do them, or his own Doctor, any justice.

Gonna be honest - the trailer did not excite me at all. I'm a huge classic series fan, and loved these two characters but I've completely lost faith that Chibnall will do them, or his own Doctor, any justice.

Not really enamoured with Daleks and Cybermen back yet again.

When it comes to worst/least favourite classic series Doctor , McCoy/7 hands down is for me.

Lovely gent and guy is Slyv, but his portrayal is my least favourite, I could argue that Sophie (Aldred) as Ace did most of the heavy lifting/great scenes from that era, especially in Survivial, Ghost Light and Curse or Fenric.

Ace is amazing, Leela is my favourite classic series companion, with Ace a close second (I really like strong, independent and well written female characters)
Got to disagree on Fenric. He was huge in that story.

There were lots of script ideas that were tossed when Roger Delgado died, unfortunately. Some were kept and re-worked for Baker's first year and some never saw the light of day. A Captain Yates back story would've been good. I've always liked the Pertwee era, he was an authoritative Doctor with good humor when appropriate. He came across to me as the smartest man in the universe. They did well with a limited budget, but they had great writers back then.
Tom Baker is my doctor, he is still the best I feel, but Pertwee elevated the series massively, particularly in his first few seasons. His last season was also amazing. What it did do was give Baker a platform to take over. It was a huge risk for the BBC to take on Baker, and I think the series succeeded further because Pertwee left it in a good place and they got lucky as Baker was simply remarkable. They then had the perfect storm of Hinchcliffe and Holmes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how relevant with streaming later options but Sea Devil's had the lowest ever overnight rating in the UK

Ever

It was worse than McCoys Battlefield

2.2 million watched it on the night it was shown Easter Sunday

Consolidated ratings were over 3.5 I think, which is the best way to view those things these days.

Consolidated ratings were over 3.5 I think, which is the best way to view those things these days.
Consolidated ratings way down on previous special and last season which isnt surprising given the awful writing and increasingly worse acting. only interest now is who will be new doctor and if they will bother to focus on writing a good story instead of some predictable headline seeker.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app
View attachment 1388874

Official.

He is great in Sex Education so I am excited to see what he can do as The Doctor. Hopefully he gets some good material to work with instead of the utter s**t that has been served up lately.

FSOryIgWQAAg2Dp

Official.

He is great in Sex Education so I am excited to see what he can do as The Doctor. Hopefully he gets some good material to work with instead of the utter s**t that has been served up lately.
Well, straight away he gets to say words supplied by Davies rather than Chibnall so he's already looking good. I haven't seen Sex Education, so he's the first actor that I haven't seen in performance prior to being cast as the Doctor. All reports sound good though.

Well, straight away he gets to say words supplied by Davies rather than Chibnall so he's already looking good. I haven't seen Sex Education, so he's the first actor that I haven't seen in performance prior to being cast as the Doctor. All reports sound good though.

Opposite for me, first I've seen in something first. Very excited!

For a 29yo actor his CV is pretty sparse. Hopefully he has some kind of charisma and acting chops.

If you have seen Sex Education then you would know the answer to both is affirmative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back