FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

You're making excuses for the context of the writing team which tells me you agree the story wasn't at its best. In the same post you talk about Dalek Invasion of Earth which is a far, far superior Dalek story so I'm not quite sure how you arrive at The Chase being the best Dalek story of the 60s. (Not even considering The Daleks, Power of the Daleks, Evil of the Daleks which are all fantastic).

Just talking about the best surviving 60s Dalek story (with all episodes in the archives)

I think The Daleks Masterplan is probably the best/greatest Dalek story ever told tbh.

Just talking about the best surviving 60s Dalek story (with all episodes in the archives)

I think The Daleks Masterplan is probably the best/greatest Dalek story ever told tbh.

The stories I mentioned include two such examples, The Daleks and Invasion of Earth.

I tend to agree that The Chase is a shoddy production. It's hard to make excuses for it given so many of the stories around it are great. But I do like the manner of Ian and Barbara's send-off.

What is everyone's favourite Christmas special (including The Feast of Steven if you were lucky to have seen it) ?

Toss up between A Christmas Carol and Last Christmas for me, there hasn't really been a bad Xmas special tbh, although I don't really like The Christmas Invasion, seems pretty redundant for an Doctor Debut story, especially as Tennant is asleep for 45 minutes of it.

Just realised End of Time part 1 was a Xmas Special, absolute garbage, by far the worst regeneration story ever..

The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe is rather underrated for me, charming and well meaning episode that has a rather poignant and beautifully written plot basically saving Christmas for a War time Widow and her children

For all the flak Moffat copped as an writter (90 % of it unreasonable and maliciously motivated imo) he seemed to understand the meaning of Christmas and weaving into Doctor Who a lot more organically and cleverly than RTD, in my opinion.

Glad they are coming back next year though .

Husbands is one that didn't leave much of an impression on me at the time that I've grown to appreciate more later.

Yep, same. It has a lot of great moments, but its main plot is pretty bland.

The second one is favourite of the two. Man it's such a great remaster - a beautiful crisp print. Shame the extra material is so thin.

Will check it out tomorrow maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chuck The Romans on. Holds up spectacularly.
I dunno I've seen them all back then, they are ok but just never really had that much interest in his Doctor's run. Pertwee has some personal fav stories (Inferno, Time Warrior) but for the most part I'm pretty meh about his Doctor and era as well.

I dunno I've seen them all back then, they are ok but just never really had that much interest in his Doctor's run. Pertwee has some personal fav stories (Inferno, Time Warrior) but for the most part I'm pretty meh about his Doctor and era as well.

Pertwee's first season is pretty fun just because it all runs together so well, but in general agree about any of those early Doctors. Even Tom Baker's latter seasons don't hold up all that well. The Romans to me just has some genuinely good humour and quirk to it that I quite enjoy.

Ive just watched all the available Hartnell on Brit-Box and about to go into Troughton.

Theres no doubting its 60 years old and to our eyes looks different but there are germs of great ideas. I wont pretend Hartnell and Troughton are high on any list but they are fine. Pertwee and Baker are my 2 doctors as thats when I started really watching

I don't think I've watch a Hartnell story for like 20 years.

The Aztecs, The Keys of Marinus, The Reign of Terror, The Romans, The Ark, The Gunfighters, The War Machines and The Tenth Planet are all surviving Hartnell stories (except for TP episode 4) that have held up very well today.

It's not totally the age of it though as I do like Troughton though so if I was to go to watch a 60s story again that would be where I would head first anyway. Owned Seeds of Death, The Invasion and Tomb of the Cybermen on VHS as a kid and watched them many, many times.

Troughton to me was a bit repetitive, all his stories were basically the same plot in different settings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back