FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Gattis would be my inside runner.

Not mine, a lot of his episodes are hit or miss, although granted I liked his work on Sherlock ND Dracula a lot.

Toby Whithouse would be my pick as showrunner myself.

Problem Doctor Who has is the same as a lot of big franchises with changing lead actors. The level of internet fury and scrutiny on shows has escalated tenfold in the last decade. A lot of people just don't think they're worth it.

Yes, but it has never been as obnoxiously over the top as it has been since Whitaker became the Doctor.

The Rosa Parks episode was brilliant imo and one the whole world needed at the time (and arguably more relevant than ever)

If Social Media was around back then, The Pertwee/Barry Letts/Terrance Dicks era would have copped a lot of heat for dealing with social and economic issues that faced the world, esp Britain at the time.

Although granted it's hard to imagine many of Chibnall's PC episodes ever being as loved by fandom than say The Curse of Peladon or The Green Death

The Rosa Parks episode was brilliant imo and one the whole world needed at the time (and arguably more relevant than ever)

If Social Media was around back then, The Pertwee/Barry Letts/Terrance Dicks era would have copped a lot of heat for dealing with social and economic issues that faced the world, esp Britain at the time.

Although granted it's hard to imagine many of Chibnall's PC episodes ever being as loved by fandom than say The Curse of Peladon or The Green Death

Issue is Chibnall puts in a 30s dump of explaining the episode at the end as if the audience can't understand it.

Imagine Pertwee turning to Sarah Jane/Jo at the end of a Peladon ep and saying "Yes my dear, sometimes it pays to understand that by coming together with other cultures, it can only serve to strengthen your own, much like your Great Britain could do with understanding with all this EU business, hey?"

The "PC Crap" has been with the show since inception..

What they need to stay away from is hamfisted storylines and treating viewers like their idiots who need the morals of the story spelled out..

Although with posts like the above perhaps people genuinely didn't know the point of the stories they were watching.
Don’t think so at all.

Peter Miles (Nyder) wearing an iron cross in Genesis of the daleks

Bernard Horsfall (Goth) holding Tom Baker’s head under water in The deadly assassin

Use of Caucasian actors to play Chinese characters in The Talons of Weng Chiang. Various non PC references to Chinese characters also.

Philip Madoc (Solon) blowing the guts out of Condo in the Brain of Morbius.

Don’t think so at all.

Peter Miles (Nyder) wearing an iron cross in Genesis of the daleks

Bernard Horsfall (Goth) holding Tom Baker’s head under water in The deadly assassin

Use of Caucasian actors to play Chinese characters in The Talons of Weng Chiang. Various non PC references to Chinese characters also.

Philip Madoc (Solon) blowing the guts out of Condo in the Brain of Morbius.

What odd references to cite when the first is a pretty clear example of politics being evoked in a Doctor Who story, and the third being a product of its time not something that was controversial back then.

Maybe I read your post wrong. Are you saying that Dr Who has had PC undertones since inception?

I'm saying Doctor Who has had political themes and morals since inception, yes.

Have you listened to the Tom baker audiobook?

No, I read his autobiography a while back, and listened to some of his work for Big Finish Productions and his narration of some his Target Novelizations for BBC Audio (of which I am a big collector of)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, got you. I thought you meant that they tried to push a politically correct agenda.

The show has never done that. What people perceive as "PC Crap" is the same things the show has always pushed. Which was my point. The issue is the way the message has been 'pushed' has changed, which I agree is clumsy and poor.

No haven’t read it.

He used to drink (heavily) at the colony room in SOHO. Kicked around with some interesting characters. Francis Bacon for one.

Very good and fun book, Fourth Doctor, Sarah and Harry, but being written by him gives it an extra something. There's a scene where he meets future Doctors too which is quite fun.

Just watched the Curse of Fenric again. It’s a brilliant story. It receives some criticism for a somewhat confusing narrative and multiple plots that are apparently ‘confusing’ but if you take it for what it is then it’s a great film.

I am a big fan of ‘the ancient one’ he has become my favourite baddie / hero. I recommend watching it again.

Still the best ending to a Dr Who story. It’s great the way the Ancient One realises that he is about to create the world that is devastated by chemical poison and rot. Ending humanity. I find him to be a very ‘human’ character whom has emotions and a conscience even though he is ultimately a haemovore.

The seventh doctor is phenomenal here. His best scene and ultimately one of the best scenes ever in Dr Who. Everyone is amazing in this scene, but ultimately Ace and the Doctor.

Classic who at its darkest.

Last edited:
Been re-watching NuWho (still continuing on from the re-watch that started all the way back with Pertwee a bit over a year ago), and Capaldi's second season is vastly underrated. Only one standout bad episode in the lot (Sleep No More), the rest are crackers.

Rest in peace Tony Selby

f216f9624a5557515a503a1b8c66ae7e0cbbb518.gifv

Sabalom Glitz was one of my favourite characters, going to dust off my Trial of a Timelord box set and re watch it again tomorrow or so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back