FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

Rest in peace Tony Selby

f216f9624a5557515a503a1b8c66ae7e0cbbb518.gifv

Sabalom Glitz was one of my favourite characters, going to dust off my Trial of a Timelord box set and re watch it again tomorrow or so.
What a character. Loved him as Glitz. Only googled him the other day. Have a look at this transcript from ‘The Mysterious Planet’ Absolute class.

8F59A7F1-3AFD-42E8-BEAD-6F107EFA0611.jpeg

That could be a modern Who script haha.

Chibnall could only dream of writing such dialog.

Actually sorry Jodie is leaving at the same time as CC, she didn't get time to properly develop her identity and personality as The Doctor, i think a big part of the problem was CC and his annoying fixation with The TARDIS fam, not enough screen time with 4 regulars anyway.

Would have been nice to have had The Doctor just travel with Yaz for a while, but now they have added John Bishop and that guy from Game of Thrones whose name escapes me for now.

I don't think large TARDIS teams worked in the classic series anyway, I think it only worked with Hartnell, Ian, Bab and Susan/or Vicki.

Chibnall could only dream of writing such dialog.

Actually sorry Jodie is leaving at the same time as CC, she didn't get time to properly develop her identity and personality as The Doctor, i think a big part of the problem was CC and his annoying fixation with The TARDIS fam, not enough screen time with 4 regulars anyway.

Would have been nice to have had The Doctor just travel with Yaz for a while, but now they have added John Bishop and that guy from Game of Thrones whose name escapes me for now.

I don't think large TARDIS teams worked in the classic series anyway, I think it only worked with Hartnell, Ian, Bab and Susan/or Vicki.

I think two companions can be fine, but yeah three gets a bit too crowded. Only times I can think of it working is eps with Amy/Rory and River, but only because their dynamics were established individually beforehand and they never all travelled together for an extended period.

Until Jodie has there been more than 2 companions at a time for an extended period? Off the top of my head I can't recall there being.

True, Mickey/Rose/Jack is only briefly, likewise Amy/Rory/River, and Missy/Nardole/Bill. You would think with a longer run with three companions it would work better, but I think what counts against it is introducing them all at once. If we had, for instance, had just Graham and Ryan for the first half of the season and developed their story with Ryan's grandmother dying, and had some good chemistry, and then introduced Yaz, or just had Yaz and then had Graham/Ryan join, I think it could have worked a lot better. I think it also works where two of the three are almost the one companion (so Mickey and Rose doing a lot together, likewise Amy and Rory), but they split Ryan and Graham up a lot.

We're actually just up to re-watching Series 11 now, so will see if it lands any differently retrospectively. I also find binging provides a different perspective as some storylines don't feel as drawn out.

I rather like Galaxy 4, and I am rapt a Hartnell lost story is finally being animated, but I would have preferred a lost historical classic like Marco Polo; The Myth Makers or The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve to have been animated first.

Still it is great we are getting more lost/animated classics to enjoy/add to our collection.

I rather like Galaxy 4, and I am rapt a Hartnell lost story is finally being animated, but I would have preferred a lost historical classic like Marco Polo; The Myth Makers or The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve to have been animated first.

Still it is great we are getting more lost/animated classics to enjoy/add to our collection.

Just saw this, how good! That makes it three animated stories (Evil of the Daleks, Web of Fear, Galaxy 4) being released in the next month or so, will probably try to get them for Christmas. Would love Marco Polo and The Crusade to get animated next year so we can get complete sets of Season 1 and 2.

Abominable Snowmen is meant to be animated soon but that's disappeared off the radar so might have been shelved.

What I would like to see - for the new Doctor and for the 60th anniversary is for someone like Jo Martin to play the Doctor and reprise all the lost episodes - or as many as possible - some editing etc but the gist of those lost stories

Jo had that Hartnell look and I wonder if she can do a Troughton as well

Just a thought

What I would like to see - for the new Doctor and for the 60th anniversary is for someone like Jo Martin to play the Doctor and reprise all the lost episodes - or as many as possible - some editing etc but the gist of those lost stories

Jo had that Hartnell look and I wonder if she can do a Troughton as well

Just a thought

Not quite sure I follow your thinking. I think if they did want to do something like that surely they'd get David Bradley and the cast from An Adventure in Space and Time to do it, but I'm just not sure it's worth it nor would it make them much money. The animations are incredibly financially taxing as it is given the limited audience.

I think trying to finish off seasons is a big one as surely there's enough appetite for collecting the full seasons which they'd be able to pump out at a reasonable margin, rather than the individual episodes. I think trying to put more in cinemas like they did Power of the Daleks is another avenue for making a bit of cash off them.

Just saw this, how good! That makes it three animated stories (Evil of the Daleks, Web of Fear, Galaxy 4) being released in the next month or so, will probably try to get them for Christmas. Would love Marco Polo and The Crusade to get animated next year so we can get complete sets of Season 1 and 2.

Abominable Snowmen is meant to be animated soon but that's disappeared off the radar so might have been shelved.

I have already pre ordered The Blu Ray SE of The Web of Fear, hoping it gets delivered as promised on the AU release date of September 22 (next week)

The Wheel in Space has been rumoured to be in the pipework for a while with animation which I am happy with as I love the Cybermen (always preferred them to The Daleks) but would like more lost Hartnell classics animated before we get more Troughton.

I have already pre ordered The Blu Ray SE of The Web of Fear, hoping it gets delivered as promised on the AU release date of September 22 (next week)

The Wheel in Space has been rumoured to be in the pipework for a while with animation which I am happy with as I love the Cybermen (always preferred them to The Daleks) but would like more lost Hartnell classics animated before we get more Troughton.

Yeah, filling in Season 3 would be great as that's largely missing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, filling in Season 3 would be great as that's largely missing.

As good as the animated episodes are, they are no substitute for the real thing.

The Enemy of The World for example a long maligned story when it was missing probably wouldn't work as an animated story because it couldn't really capture the stunning direction of Barry Letts, the sets or the superb acting from the entire ensemble cast, especially the actors who played Giles Kent and Astrid.

Would sell my soul for even another episode of The Daleks Masterplan or The Massacre to be found.

Am a massive fan of The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve which I think has the darkest ending of any TV Who story ever, including Nu Who.

Several old time Whovians lucky enough to have seen it claim it to be Hartnell's greatest performance on the series, I don't see any reason to doubt them tbh going by the audio soundtrack cd I have listened to many times.

As good as the animated episodes are, they are no substitute for the real thing.

The Enemy of The World for example a long maligned story when it was missing probably wouldn't work as an animated story because it couldn't really capture the stunning direction of Barry Letts, the sets or the superb acting from the entire ensemble cast, especially the actors who played Giles Kent and Astrid.

Would sell my soul for even another episode of The Daleks Masterplan or The Massacre to be found.

Am a massive fan of The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve which I think has the darkest ending of any TV Who story ever, including Nu Who.

Several old time Whovians lucky enough to have seen it claim it to be Hartnell's greatest performance on the series, I don't see any reason to doubt them tbh going by the audio soundtrack cd I have listened to many times.

I dunno I think they're a pretty good substitute, I think they're great and much more easily translatable to a new audience.

More sad news to report, with the death of John Challis mostly known for his long standing role on Fools and Horses, but fondly remembered by Whovians for his legendary performance as ruthless but ultimately cowardly mercenary Scorby on the brilliant mid 70s classic The Seeds of Doom, alongside Tom Baker and Elizabeth Sladen, a top ten all time story for mine (including Nu-Who)

images

Going to watch Seeds of Doom sometime later again this week to the brilliant John Challis.
Over the last 10 years I tweeted him and he often replied, he was a very kind and considerate person who had a lot of time for his fans

Gutted to be honest. I know no one lives forever, but as time passes, we lose more and more illuminari from the Whoniverse

Wasn't even that old, only 79 I think, died from a long battle with cancer. :(

Yep.
Cancer is such a **** of a disease, taken two members of my family far too young (both in their 40s)

This hurts a lot because he was always decent and courteous to me and other fans on Twitter.
Going to subscribe to Britbox this week so I can enjoy his performances on Only Fools and Horses.

Yep.
Cancer is such a **** of a disease, taken two members of my family far too young (both in their 40s)

This hurts a lot because he was always decent and courteous to me and other fans on Twitter.
Going to subscribe to Britbox this week so I can enjoy his performances on Only Fools and Horses.

He's fantastic in Only Fools and Horses, have you watched it all before? Cracking show.

Amazon just delivered my copy of The Web of Fear Special Edition on Blu-Ray.

Will enjoy watching this afternoon.

Always great to get more classic Who on Blu-Ray, especially vintage black and white episodes from the 196os

I watched my copy a few weeks ago. Not overly impressed with the animation style unfortunately. Best I could say is that the results vary in quality from ok to very distracting.

I watched my copy a few weeks ago. Not overly impressed with the animation style unfortunately. Best I could say is that the results vary in quality from ok to very distracting.

Web of Fear is just one ep of animation, yeah? They probably didn't want to spend too much on it unfortunately.

Web of Fear is just one ep of animation, yeah? They probably didn't want to spend too much on it unfortunately.

On the positive side, I was pretty impressed with the upscaled quality of the Blu-Ray transfer of the surviving episodes, significantly better than the original DVD release.

The commentary is also rather sgood and I really enjoyed the Making of Documentary of the story. John Levene bless him, lives in a different world to the rest of us it seems :)

So sad Deborah Watling passed away a couple of years ago before she could do a commentary or talk about her memories of this story, especially as it also starred her father Jack.

Finally there is a lot of conspiracy theories surrounding the missing episode 3, apparently Phil Morris did manage to find it along with the other missing episodes and Enemy of The World, but apparently got misplaced/lost on its way back to the BBC archives.

Unfollowed him a while back on Twitter too, he is become bit of an bitter Nut with so much anti Jodie views and rhetoric on how Woke and broken the current/latest series are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back