FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

My copy of Evil of the Daleks is in the post! Can't wait.

Didn't know it was out! Thanks for the heads up, might order it and Web of Fear together. Not sure whether I should wait and get them with Galaxy 4 though.

Finally there is a lot of conspiracy theories surrounding the missing episode 3, apparently Phil Morris did manage to find it along with the other missing episodes and Enemy of The World, but apparently got misplaced/lost on its way back to the BBC archives.

Unfollowed him a while back on Twitter too, he is become bit of an bitter Nut with so much anti Jodie views and rhetoric on how Woke and broken the current/latest series are.
Life is definitely too short to spend any of it consuming PM's garbage. Frankly, I switch off anytime I see people use the term "woke" pejoratively - it's a good indication that their opinions are irrelevant and ill-considered.

More sad news to report, with the death of John Challis mostly known for his long standing role on Fools and Horses, but fondly remembered by Whovians for his legendary performance as ruthless but ultimately cowardly mercenary Scorby on the brilliant mid 70s classic The Seeds of Doom, alongside Tom Baker and Elizabeth Sladen, a top ten all time story for mine (including Nu-Who)

images

Going to watch Seeds of Doom sometime later again this week to the brilliant John Challis.
Over the last 10 years I tweeted him and he often replied, he was a very kind and considerate person who had a lot of time for his fans

Gutted to be honest. I know no one lives forever, but as time passes, we lose more and more illuminari from the Whoniverse
Greatest Dr Who story ever.

About four years ago I started the Great Journey of Life to watch every episode in order, one or two 25-minute episodes a week. I'm currently up to The Time Monster, so about halfway through Pertwee.

I'm old enough to have seen most stories since The Time Warrior on their first Australian transmission, so in a way I've already done this to some extent, but I've never done it from An Unearthly Child before. Watching it in this way also gives a sense of perspective to the history of the show. I hope I live long enough to get to the end of it! And they're still making new episodes of course, albeit slowly, so I'm catching up.

Apart from the amazing Davros Genisis is pretty overrated imo.

Strong disagree, the underlying narrative of the story, the dialogue and the performances are all top tier. It's not outright first but it's right near the top.

About four years ago I started the Great Journey of Life to watch every episode in order, one or two 25-minute episodes a week. I'm currently up to The Time Monster, so about halfway through Pertwee.

I'm old enough to have seen most stories since The Time Warrior on their first Australian transmission, so in a way I've already done this to some extent, but I've never done it from An Unearthly Child before. Watching it in this way also gives a sense of perspective to the history of the show. I hope I live long enough to get to the end of it! And they're still making new episodes of course, albeit slowly, so I'm catching up.

My wife and I started from Pertwee when last lockdown started, and we've just hit the Whittaker seasons. After we finish I want to take her back to the Hartnell/Troughton era as she's now become a bit more used to the older style of the show. With the volume of animated material that's come out in the last two years we'll be able to do a pretty coherent run through.

Getting through all that telly in a year and a half is a pretty brisk pace!

Lockdown helps! :tearsofjoy: We definitely picked up pace through NuWho though, got through Eccleston in a weekend, and the latter two Capaldi seasons in a week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough - I don't want to do it as a sprint myself, I'm enjoying spreading it out as it was originally transmitted.

I wouldn't really called 18 months sprinting to be fair, we've done maybe an episode a night at most, and tend to take long breaks if we start to feel like we're getting over it. If you spread it out as originally transmitted you'll be going for the next 30 years lol.

Didn't know it was out! Thanks for the heads up, might order it and Web of Fear together. Not sure whether I should wait and get them with Galaxy 4 though.

It's out in the UK, not AUS as of yet. It's the same region as ours but you will probably have to spend a bit more money if you want it earlier than the AUS version.

I am still awaiting a couple of the Eccleston Audios I ordered from Big Finish 6 weeks ago, I can listen to it on the downloads on the BF app but I prefer to rate.

9th Doctor has grown on me in the last couple of years, a much better Doctor than Tennant imo even if a lot of his stories look rather dated and cheap these days by comparison (never liked RTD's fascination with setting stories in Council Estates)

It's out in the UK, not AUS as of yet. It's the same region as ours but you will probably have to spend a bit more money if you want it earlier than the AUS version.

I am still awaiting a couple of the Eccleston Audios I ordered from Big Finish 6 weeks ago, I can listen to it on the downloads on the BF app but I prefer to rate.

9th Doctor has grown on me in the last couple of years, a much better Doctor than Tennant imo even if a lot of his stories look rather dated and cheap these days by comparison (never liked RTD's fascination with setting stories in Council Estates)

Yeah I've actually cooled a lot on Tennant's portrayal. Flips from being head over heels for Rose to being dismissive of Martha, and then arrogant and cruel after Donna. His season with Donna to me is probably still the gold standard of NuWho (although Capaldi's second season is edging closer on re-visits) but that's about it.

I got Brit-Box just to be able to do this - and slowly slowly getting somewhere.

Its amazing the little things you pick up ie John Smith gets a mention in the 1st episodes as part of Susans favourite musical group

I think it's a bit of a desperation move. His series really haven't aged well so I hope he takes a fresh approach and doesn't just give us more farting aliens.

Agreed.

Seems weird cause after he left RTD vowed to never write for Who again.

Most annoying/worst part of this is there now heaps of calls wanting Tennant to return as The Doctor, that is my nightmare scenario. Ugh

Agreed.

Seems weird cause after he left RTD vowed to never write for Who again.

Most annoying/worst part of this is there now heaps of calls wanting Tennant to return as The Doctor, that is my nightmare scenario. Ugh

No chance of that happening, but I do hope he's learned and developed a bit. In fairness, it's almost 20 years since his first season in 2005 which is pretty crazy to think about. Watching some of his other stuff like Years and Years, he can write some fantastic stuff.

I'm just glad they aren't putting the show on hiatus. And bringing RTD back might bring back a lot of fans who fell off so I guess it could work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back