FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot going in that episode - will need a few rewatches but I think it will all come together at one point

Yeah each ep seems to pay off threads from previous episodes and also set up threads for forthcoming episodes - like the Angels elements - so think it'll definitely need a re-watch once it's all out.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Another terrific episode that started slowly, but cleverly built up the tension and stakes culminating in the best cliffhanger of the 13th Doctor Era so far.

Really top shelf stuff.

Now onto my Blu-Ray copy of The Evil of The Daleks which arrived today in the mail. Onto episode 2 (which I have chosen to watch as the only surviving live action episode of this classic left)

Was pretty happy with the animation in Episode 1, seems like a significant improvement on the previous few releases imho.

Excited for Galaxy 4 too.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Decided to rank the TV Doctor's from best to worst (including Paul McCann but not John Hurt, as much as I loved The War Doctor)

1 Colin Baker
2 Matt Smith
3 Tom Baker
4 William Hartnell
5 Peter Capaldi
6 Jon Pertwee
7 Patrick Troughton
8 Paul McGann
9 Peter Davison
10 Jodie Whittaker
11 Christopher Eccleston
12 David Tennant
13 Sylvester McCoy

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Decided to rank the TV Doctor's from best to worst (including Paul McCann but not John Hurt, as much as I loved The War Doctor)

1 Colin Baker
2 Matt Smith
3 Tom Baker
4 William Hartnell
5 Peter Capaldi
6 Jon Pertwee
7 Patrick Troughton
8 Paul McGann
9 Peter Davison
10 Jodie Whittaker
11 Christopher Eccleston
12 David Tennant
13 Sylvester McCoy
Is this the first shall be last, and last shall be first?

I'd have Matt Smith a clear leader as worst Doctor of all time, followed by Baker & Hartnell. You've rated them in your top-4. Incredible how different people can have such wildly differing opinions.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

I'd have Matt Smith a clear leader as worst Doctor of all time, followed by Baker & Hartnell. You've rated them in your top-4. Incredible how different people can have such wildly differing opinions.

Yeah best to worst. Sixie has always been my favourite

I can't believe you don't rate Hartnell though, such an underrated Doctor and Era imho.

I can't believe you don't rate Hartnell though, such an underrated Doctor and Era imho.

He's not underrated, it's just a bad portrayal. Context around his performance aside, if we're going to rank Doctors on the portrayals, you can't have Hartnell near the top for anything other than nostalgia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows

Hartnell's Doctor was just a grumpy old man.

Colin Baker is the only one who was so bad that he was sacked, and not brought back to shoot a regeneration scene.

Each to their own, I guess.

Hartnell's Doctor was just a grumpy old man.

Colin Baker is the only one who was so bad that he was sacked, and not brought back to shoot a regeneration scene.

Each to their own, I guess.

No he really wasn't outside of the first two episodes. Literally from Edge of Destruction on he mellows considerably. That's the entire point of that story.

I was focussing more on his actual portrayal with regular line flubs and limited range due to his age.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
No he really wasn't outside of the first two episodes. Literally from Edge of Destruction on he mellows considerably. That's the entire point of that story.

I was focussing more on his actual portrayal with regular line flubs and limited range due to his age.

Yeah he had an early onset of dementia (for a man of his age back then) but still managed to do some astonishing performances in the later years of his run (most notably his duel role in The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve)

Tom Baker got out of control after Hinchcliffe left and by his own admission became bit if a prick to directors, Graham Williams and Louise Jamieson, it was only when JN-T came on board did he reign in his performances and behaviour)

I think the Pertwee era was probably the strongest era in any of televised Doctor Who (both classic and 21st century)

The only story from that era I think is bit of a turkey/clunker is The Mutants, and that's probably because it's probably 2 episodes 2 long and got a couple of really poor acting performances in it (The Marshal and Cotton, good grief)

Just had the perfect leading man, companions (Jo and Sarah and of course the UNIT Family), The Master and the best producer/show runner and script editor duo it ever had in Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks.

It was just consistently quality from start to finish, even Pertwee's final series (which imo is vastly underrated) introduced The Sontarans.

Yeah he had an early onset of dementia (for a man of his age back then) but still managed to do some astonishing performances in the later years of his run (most notably his duel role in The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve)

Tom Baker got out of control after Hinchcliffe left and by his own admission became bit if a prick to directors, Graham Williams and Louise Jamieson, it was only when JN-T came on board did he reign in his performances and behaviour)

I think the Pertwee era was probably the strongest era in any of televised Doctor Who (both classic and 21st century)

The only story from that era I think is bit of a turkey/clunker is The Mutants, and that's probably because it's probably 2 episodes 2 long and got a couple of really poor acting performances in it (The Marshal and Cotton, good grief)

Just had the perfect leading man, companions (Jo and Sarah and of course the UNIT Family), The Master and the best producer/show runner and script editor duo it ever had in Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks.

It was just consistently quality from start to finish, even Pertwee's final series (which imo is vastly underrated) introduced The Sontarans.

Yeah Pertwee is my favourite Doctor, very strong era.

Each to their own, but I have Matt Smith above David Tennant. I can't stand Tennant's way of playing the character, whereas I thought Smith was able to capture the essence of the Doctor pretty well (it's just too bad that for long portions of Moffat's tenure as show runner, it was the Amy Pond show guest starring the Doctor, and then it was the Clara Oswald show guest starring the Doctor).

No offence to Jodie Whittaker, but Chibnall flubbed her first two seasons so badly that I would have her the clear worst portrayal of the Doctor since Colin Baker.

BrainOfMorbius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ranking them is horrible as I enjoy all of them to some degree. But for what it's worth, this is my list:

1 Tom Baker
2 Smith
3 Troughton
4 McCoy
5 Pertwee
6 Capaldi
7 Eccleston
8 Hartnell
9 Tennant
10 Whittaker
11 Davison
12 McGann
13 Colin Baker

There's not much between the top 6.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Instead of first to last I will place them in 'which one do I reach for ' - so it does encompass writing and acting and story - and it will lean heavily from 2005 - but thats more production

Easily re-watch these

Matt Smith
David Tennant
Tom Baker
Jon Pertwee
Christopher Eccleston

Mostly happy to hit play

Peter Capaldi
Peter Davison
William Hartnell

My life wont change if I dont watch these ( now this is in order)

Patrick Troughton
Colin Baker
Sylvester McCoy
Jodie Whittaker

And no I dont count McGann nor Hurt nor Martin

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I enjoy doing lists, so now I am listing my favourite story for every Doctor

1 - The Romans
2 - The Enemy of The World
3 - Inferno
4 - The Deadly Assassin
5 - Frontios
6 - Revelation of The Daleks
7 - The Greatest Show in The Galaxy
8 - The Chimes of Midnight (BF Audio)
9 - The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
10 - Human Nature/Family of Blood
11 - Vincent and The Doctor
12 - World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls
13 - The Haunting of Villa Diodati

I enjoy doing lists, so now I am listing my favourite story for every Doctor

1 - The Romans
2 - The Enemy of The World
3 - Inferno
4 - The Deadly Assassin
5 - Frontios
6 - Revelation of The Daleks
7 - The Greatest Show in The Galaxy
8 - The Chimes of Midnight (BF Audio)
9 - The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
10 - Human Nature/Family of Blood
11 - Vincent and The Doctor
12 - World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls
13 - The Haunting of Villa Diodati

Getting my wife into the classics I did something similar to this where i showed her a story from each Doctor. Think we hit most of those, except Genesis of the Dalek for 4, Tomb of the Cybermen for 2, and can't remember for 6 and 7, maybe The Two Doctors and Curse of Fenric respectively.

BrainOfMorbius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Favourite stories of each Doctor, Eight excluded due the sample size being too small, and ignoring Big Finish:

1 The Daleks' Master Plan
2 Power of the Daleks
3 Carnival of Monsters
4 Pyramids of Mars
5 The Caves of Androzani
6 Revelation of the Daleks
7 The Curse of Fenric
8 *
9 Father's Day
10 Blink
11 The God Complex
12 Mummy on the Orient Express
13 Village of the Angels

If I was including Big Finish I'd have to change my responses for at least two of the Doctors above.

Back