FTA-TV Doctor Who

Episode up in iView

Not bad - interesting concept performed adequately.

I completely missed the mirroring of the Nick and Sara relationship with Yaz and Doctor

Watch the end credits if you havent had it spoiled yet

Nicholas Briggs saying ' I am not called Nick' is an amusing egg

Had what spoiled - the trailer for the net ep? Or did I miss something in the credits?

Trailer on the monster. It's been hinted at for a long time.

Oh yeah, saw that.

Was funny, had said to the wife semi-recently how they were a monster that would be cool to have back but would be hard to translate into modern effects.

Strong rumours doing the rounds that Season 22 (Colin the greatest Doctor of them all) is about to be the next classic series season to be given the loving HD/Blu-Ray treatment as part of their fantastic Collection sets.

Buzzing if true.

Didn't they just release a trailer for Season 17?

Rob R

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought that too lol

The best holiday episode IMO since the Tennant years. Very enjoyable and I'm sure even those watching for the first time could follow the plot. Fireworks as the solution was perfect for a NY episode.
Pretty good episode, first for a long while- ending a bit simple but it was a New Years special. Guest stars were good for a change. Dan is growing well as a character - Yaz is still a let down as a character (due to writing rather than the actress)

In terms of the relationship, who really cares - badly written and out of character but easily ignored as long as ticking that box doesnt become the dominant part of one of the upcoming specials.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty good episode, first for a long while- ending a bit simple but it was a New Years special. Guest stars were good for a change. Dan is growing well as a character - Yaz is still a let down as a character (due to writing rather than the actress)

In terms of the relationship, who really cares - badly written and out of character but easily ignored as long as ticking that box doesnt become the dominant part of one of the upcoming specials.

Always curious when people say it's the writing not the actress - what about the writing is an issue for Yaz that works for Dan?

I think they're both fantastic companions and find Whittaker's portrayal increasingly grating. Her "I'm not even wearing a watch, just doing it for effect" was so dumb. Yes that's the writing, but it's her delivery that doubles down on the poor line.

Rob R

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Always curious when people say it's the writing not the actress - what about the writing is an issue for Yaz that works for Dan?

I think they're both fantastic companions and find Whittaker's portrayal increasingly grating. Her "I'm not even wearing a watch, just doing it for effect" was so dumb. Yes that's the writing, but it's her delivery that doubles down on the poor line.
Dan seems to have a personality, Yaz just doesn't she is just there as a sidekick but I have seen the actress do well on other shows (like Good Karma hospital last week). She had a lot of potential early but it hasn't been built on.

She is not helped at all by the awful writing of the last few years, I cant really think of one recent episode that is worth rewatching. A few started okay and became increasingly stupid as the episode went on - almost like one writer wrote a synopsis of the plot and the first act and then asked some random students to finish it off.

Last edited:
Dan seems to have a personality, Yaz just doesn't she is just there as a sidekick but I have seen the actress do well on other shows (like Good Karma hospital last week). She had a lot of potential early but it hasn't been built on.

She is not helped at all by the awful writing of the last few years, I cant really think of one recent episode that is worth rewatching. A few started okay and became increasingly stupid as the episode went on - almost like one writer wrote a synopsis of the plot and the first act and then asked some random students to finish it off.

I dunno, I recently did a re-watch of it all, and some of the episodes have aged pretty well. Some are pretty meh, but there's plenty of pretty meh episodes in RTD's time too.

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yaz is still a let down as a character (due to writing rather than the actress)

I'll be glad when she's gone. One of the things I liked about this episode was that she seemed to have less lines.

And I'm not a fan of her crush on the Doctor either. I'd be fine with it never being mentioned again.

I'll be glad when she's gone. One of the things I liked about this episode was that she seemed to have less lines.

And I'm not a fan of her crush on the Doctor either. I'd be fine with it never being mentioned again.

Unfortunately for you sounds like she might stick around for the new Doctor which I reckon is fantastic. She's great and has brilliant chemistry with Dan.

Do you think Rose would still be in love with the Doctor if Eccleston had regenerated into Whittaker?

How would you feel if your partner changed sex overnight?

I understand that point, but Yaz before meeting the Doctor was heterosexual, why could she not realise that she loves the person rather than the gender, and continues to love the Doctor as a man?

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yaz before meeting the Doctor was heterosexual, why could she not realise that she loves the person rather than the gender, and continues to love the Doctor as a man?

Was she?

The sex-change issue might make her love/crush a little more interesting than it is atm. But I still would rather it had never been written - the Doctor is better without 'stupid apes' falling in love with him.

You can love someone without falling in love.

Was she?

The sex-change issue might make her love/crush a little more interesting than it is atm. But I still would rather it had never been written - the Doctor is better without 'stupid apes' falling in love with him.

You can love someone without falling in love.

Yes. The whole point of her discovery of her feelings was the realisation of her sexuality.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Deadly serious.

Season 22 is vastly underrated at any rate.

Currently going through S17 the collection and its a massive chore. Creature from The Pit is absolutely woeful.

Yet because it's from a season where Douglas Adams was script editor, elitists in fandom somehow think that season is a work of genius.

And Attack of the Cybermen is the best 80s Cybermen story, and best one since The Invasion.

Back