Documentary | Crossing The Line

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If you have a spare hour or so, 'Crossing The Line' delves into the controversy of Australia's tour of South Africa in 2018 where we all know what happened.

Interested now that a fair amount of time has passed since the series if anybody's opinion of the controversies has changed or not.

Jesus Christ. They tampered with a ******* ball which is something that every single international team has done since the dawn of time for * sake.

More proof of the tabloid selling home and away drama series Australia has become

I think it's more than that though. They lied to the umpires, the press and the public about it, and on top of that it came from a team that always insisted they - and at times only they - knew where the line was.

Jesus Christ. They tampered with a ******* ball which is something that every single international team has done since the dawn of time for **** sake.

More proof of the tabloid selling home and away drama series Australia has become
Yeah going to agree here. I’d be keeping a lid on it as a SAF commenting on this given Faf Du Plessis got penalised for doing the same. It’s a pretty common occurrence in cricket, my issue is the way Warner roped in Bancroft, he should’ve just done it himself.

Not a fan of these instant-docos. Too soon for anyone to have forgotten the details, and also too soon to really have any more info or insight than the news articles.

Yeah going to agree here. I’d be keeping a lid on it as a SAF commenting on this given Faf Du Plessis got penalised for doing the same. It’s a pretty common occurrence in cricket, my issue is the way Warner roped in Bancroft, he should’ve just done it himself.

I think the only reason this was blown out of proportion so bad was that the Australians said the word cheating in their press conferences. If they just took their punishment like every other country people would have moved on but they made this mountain out of a molehill.

Amount of times caught ball tampering
Faf du Plessis- 2
Steve Smith- 0

Potential earnings lost
Faf <50k
Smith ~ 1,000,000

Unbelievable over reaction

I think the only reason this was blown out of proportion so bad was that the Australians said the word cheating in their press conferences. If they just took their punishment like every other country people would have moved on but they made this mountain out of a molehill.

Amount of times caught ball tampering
Faf du Plessis- 2
Steve Smith- 0

Potential earnings lost
Faf <50k
Smith ~ 1,000,000

Unbelievable over reaction
You’re right, everyone does it, I mean there’s so many ways to ball tamper. There’s also nothing more blatant than rubbing sand paper on a ball and hiding it in your trousers, on a scale of intelligence re hatching plans to ball tamper, it’s pretty basic and thick.

The reaction post incident was bad, I mean Warner didn’t surface for quite some time and that made him look horribly guilty, and Smith & Bancroft wilted under the lights.

Summary? Good thing to do? Never. Does it happen a bit? Yes. Is hiding something in your pants and bringing it out in front of cameras intelligent? No. Was what Faf Du Plessis just as bad? Technically it’s cheating so yes. Did Faf handle it better? Much much better.

Time to move on? Yep!!

You’re right, everyone does it, I mean there’s so many ways to ball tamper. There’s also nothing more blatant than rubbing sand paper on a ball and hiding it in your trousers, on a scale of intelligence re hatching plans to ball tamper, it’s pretty basic and thick.

The reaction post incident was bad, I mean Warner didn’t surface for quite some time and that made him look horribly guilty, and Smith & Bancroft wilted under the lights.

Summary? Good thing to do? Never. Does it happen a bit? Yes. Is hiding something in your pants and bringing it out in front of cameras intelligent? No. Was what Faf Du Plessis just as bad? Technically it’s cheating so yes. Did Faf handle it better? Much much better.

Time to move on? Yep!!

Oh yeah I think it was the whole admitting it was a plan that ****ed them. I think Smith especially wanted to protect Bancroft, if they just let him take the fall he probably gets a 1 game ban an everyone moves on but Smith trying to be a leader wanted to share responsibility and it made it 100x worse. I'll always maintain when Smith admitted to it being pre planned he probably thought it would blow over and he would be hailed for his honesty and leadership.

Ouch

Oh yeah I think it was the whole admitting it was a plan that ****** them. I think Smith especially wanted to protect Bancroft, if they just let him take the fall he probably gets a 1 game ban an everyone moves on but Smith trying to be a leader wanted to share responsibility and it made it 100x worse. I'll always maintain when Smith admitted to it being pre planned he probably thought it would blow over and he would be hailed for his honesty and leadership.

Ouch
And the thing is, when you've done something deemed to be socially unacceptable, you can talk yourself into being even more guilty and even more of a bad egg. The more you talk and go into it, the worse it can be, because every word and element of body language is over analysed and your character ends up being assassinated. I mean you might say 9 things right, but the 1 that isn't is what will be remembered.

It also annoys me that people are so critical of the punishment Warner should continue to receive, i mean if you look at people and their lives and the mistakes they've made, it becomes a gross double standard. We've all made errors and done things we wouldn't do again. On Christmas Day my loud mouthed and obnoxious Uncle stated that he never wanted to see Warner on a cricket field again, i mean this is the guy who was done drink driving 24 months ago. Did he get his car back? Yes. Could he have killed someone due to being an idiot and thinking it was safe to drive home? Most definitely. Does it suit him to get involved in character assassinations whilst seemingly forgetting his much worse indiscretion whilst i bit my tongue for the sake of family harmony on Christmas Day? Yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back