Cars & Transportation Dodgy drivers or roads - rant here!

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Why do stop signs even exist? They should just be give way signs for most, if not all of them. Why do I have to come to a complete stop when there is an opening onto the main road that I can enter safely?
Because there's an intersection near me that has a wicked blind spot and I had some flog pull out on me and I hit him, because he just "gave way" instead of coming to a complete stop and assessing the intersection.
I don't agree with all stop signs but a lot of them are there for the right reasons.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Had a new one today.....

Stopped at the front row of a cross intersection controlled by traffic lights. Two lanes, neither of them painted with arrows, I am in the right lane and the road ahead on the other side of the intersection has two clearly marked lanes. No other signs saying what lane must do what.

So lights turn green, I proceed to go straight ahead. The car to my left, going slightly faster, decides it wants to turn right, and proceeds to do so right in front of me*. I had to slam on the brakes to stop a collision.

I mean, how mental do you have to be?

*inb4 adelaidecrowsrightinfrontofmeguy.
I saw something similar 2 days ago. There is a right hand turn onto the onramp of the expressway with one designated right hand turn only lane. Traffic on my side is stopped so they can do this turn but the other side has all lanes green. Watching the cars turn right and see car in middle straight ahead lane turn right in front of another and force the car to stop.

*shakes head

When you go into a large shopping centre carpark which has plenty of empty spaces.

But you are forced to manoeuvre your way around someone who has stopped right in the driving lane because they are waiting.

Obviously, none of the parking spots will do, they have to use the "waiting" spot in the driving thoroughfare.

When you go into a large shopping centre carpark which has plenty of empty spaces.

But you are forced to manoeuvre your way around someone who has stopped right in the driving lane because they are waiting.

Obviously, none of the parking spots will do, they have to use the "waiting" spot in the driving thoroughfare.
Love that, and they always look so oblivious, makes me wanna honk at them purely so they know what they're doing is ****ing stupid

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
One thing I've noticed recently is a lot of drivers flick their indicator on for a brief moment before changing lanes. My understanding is you're meant to keep your indicator on until you've completed the move across.

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
I don't drive but why does the car I'm in like to straddle right behind of another car 300-500m in front of it?

Also, why are there trigger happy drivers?

Rant closed.
I don't understand either of your points.

Aug 13, 2012
Waiting for Josh Kelly #2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One thing I've noticed recently is a lot of drivers flick their indicator on for a brief moment before changing lanes. My understanding is you're meant to keep your indicator on until you've completed the move across.

Do they also only turn the indicator on when they're already half across the other lane?

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
P plater blindly turning into a major road during peak traffic causing me to slam the brakes on and I was lucky to divert to the other lane. Drive past the idiot to see that he is on his phone.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cars indicating out of roundabouts (or indicating to go straight through a roundabout) does more harm than good and I've seen it a lot lately

Cars indicating out of roundabouts (or indicating to go straight through a roundabout) does more harm than good and I've seen it a lot lately
Could not agree more. I understand it's a bit ambiguous if you have a five or six road roundabout, but a three or four road one should be simple - if you are going straight, don't bloody indicate at all.

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Could not agree more. I understand it's a bit ambiguous if you have a five or six road roundabout, but a three or four road one should be simple - if you are going straight, don't bloody indicate at all.
You always have to indicate left when you exit unless the roundabout is so small the indicator wouldn't show up before you exited.

You always have to indicate left when you exit unless the roundabout is so small the indicator wouldn't show up before you exited.
If I'm turning right, I use my right indicator. I'm not going to flick it to the left momentarily.

I'll use my indicator out of a roundabout if it's one big enough that I think the cars waiting as I come around probably didn't see where I came in.
Yes, very large roundabouts can be an exception. Or, even roundabouts that are your standard four-way job, but on a strange angle.

There's one in Oak Park that I drive through, for example, that is a four-way, but when approaching it when driving back towards Moonee Ponds from visiting my mother, is something like:

- 'normal' left turn - 90 degrees
- straight is actually a decent way to the right rather than straight ahead - let's say 210 degrees
- right turn runs off at something like 250 degrees from Rhodes Pde

I often indicate right then left if I'm going straight there, because of the unusual shape of it.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Two cars approaching roundabout from opposite directions, first car to enter has right indicator on, so second car stops to give way. First car then indicates left to leave. 2nd car stopped unnecessarily.

Compared to:

Two cars approaching roundabout from opposite directions, first car enters without indication, so second car cautiously enters intersection. Both cars continue driving straight.

I don't know when this "indicate right to go straight" roundabout "rule" came in, but it's ridiculous for most.

Regards

Simon

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Get bent, if I didn't get pulled up for it in a driving test (and I doubt much has changed in four years) then it's totally fine
VicRoads said:
Travelling straight through a roundabout
If you want to travel straight through a roundabout:

• stay in the same lane through the roundabout
  • do not indicate as you approach the roundabout, but if practicable, signal left as you exit.
If there is more than one lane, you can approach the roundabout in any of the lanes, unless the lane is for left or right turns only.

Simon_Nesbit why would you give way to someone signalling right opposite you? You'll be past before they are turning (plus you're not supposed to signal right if you're going straight anyway).

Back