Consumer Electronics Dodgy sales people and sales in general

Remove this Banner Ad

You have 25 years experience in sales & marketing, consider yourself elite? How in the **** did you not realise the true nature of this deal? Do you buy Chrisco hampers as well?

Wow. You obviously think I'm so delusional that I think I'm elite when in fact I'm not. Really?

Walked in to a jewellery store today doing xmas shopping and was hunted around the entire counter after several "I'm just having a look thanks" while the salesperson just tried to make really annoying general chit chat

Couldnt hang around

I'm convinced overly pressy sales staff have a negative impact on sales

As much as I hate hard sales, it gets results.

Think of women's mid day TV. See dy due with comb over comes over and does hard sell on vacuum cleaner that picks up bowling baws. Unfortunately it works. Tacky and annoying as s**t but gets more sales. Gullible people wreck it for the rest of us.

Anyone do the Color Run?

Hint: It wasn't a charity.

Also, once watched a car salesman tell a man, who was trying to decide between a WRX and a Civic Type R, that he couldn't give him a test drive of the car (demo, not owned by anyone), but could maybe possibly try and arrange a short one if they had the papers all filled out and ready to go and signature was pending a drive. Old mate explained he wasn't comfortable sitting down and filling out papers until he had driven it and had some time to think about it.

Salesman then said he still couldn't do it, but then comes out with:

"Have you seen the show Top Gear? Clarkson said it's the best car released this year"

Recently watched the review on a rerun, what Clarkson actually said was:

"I like hot hatchbacks, but this one (the civic) is just hopeless"

Needless to say that man left and I believe is now a happy Subaru owner.

As a sales guy I often deal with sales guys. If it's some douche selling a TV it's "whatever buddy" but when it's a bit more serious I have the chat:

"Listen champ (I don't really say that), I'been doing this for 25 years and I know you strategy will be this, then this, then this. Well guess what, if you do that i'll walk away. I will add a clause in the contract that allows me to walk away and sell through another agent so if piss me off with you sales funnell tactic I will walk".

Amazingly they still try and bullshit you and go through the sale process.

I was once at a chemist looking for a laxative because I hadn't had a s**t for about a week. I'm in the aisle with a bottle of "these pills will make you s**t" when my new good looking neightbor walks in.

Hi Quickstraw, what are you doing.
Just browsing (with a jumbo pack of of "I haven't s**t for a week" (tm) pills in my hand)
Then there was an awkward pause
Then the shop assistant comes up and says "is there anything I can help you with?"
I couldn't think of anything else to say other than "I have a wart on me ****" in a strong irish accent.

I never really had another conversation with the hot neighbor ever again.

I hate going to the chemist. They always in your face asking what you need when you looking for haemorroid cream or warty utensil cream.

Can't say i have experienced that, i used to hate going to Harvey Norman and multiple people would swarm to me. If i wasn't busy using the isles as a maze to evade them (all i would be doing was looking at pc software), i would tell each of them "just looking".

One of my other gripes, the upselling of items (eg: extended warranties, disc protection for video games etc). I went to EB for the first time in ages recently and they tried to put me on their EB World program... thanks but no thanks.

Seems the prerequisite to be a sales guy at Harvey Norman is you have to be a douche. Think about it. No education required. No skills. Just fast talking and bothering folk. And if they were any good at sales they'd be able to get a real sales job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back