Dodoro talks about our rookie picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Very happy with the picks today and 3 mature aged players is fantastic,looks like most of the clubs went down that path,And FOR F@&KS SAKE! can you whingers STOP sooking we didnt get a Ruckman!!....This time next year JOE DANIHER would have started training after being drafted Father/Son.....:D

Im happy with this rookie draft I think we covered our needs. From a guess i'd say Prismall will be placed on Long term injury list so a middy could get the chance to be elevated for first 8 weeks of season. Who know we may find anothetr Crameri amongst them.

Our gameplan is reliant on speedy midfielders so if Winders or Dempsey do not come up (re-injure) themselves we have back up.

We also got a small forward who knows how to kick goals, i'd be happy if he is half as good as Medhurst. And we got a defender or two, awesome. Hopefully Slattery does a knee, just kidding.

Quite happy with what I've read so far about our rookie picks!

Looking on the bright side of not picking up a rookie ruck, means we are super confident in retaining Ryder from the clutches of GWS! :thumbsu: And since they picked up Tomlinson early, Hurley surely must be safe as well meaning our guns should be safe and hoping Pendles will be wearing orange and grey next year! :D
#positiveoutlook

And lets stop expecting injuries to our players (ie: 2 rucks go down), I know it has burnt us plenty in the past but I always look forward to a minimal injury year! Be positive people! :)

Pazza sounds like you rely on BF and BF only. Bolger and Campbell both talked up as options be essendon fans on here and the players you have both mentioned.

Didnt cover needs?
Small back - covered
Small crumbing forward - covered
Potential tagger? covered
Outside speed and Skill - covered

I thought we covered the needs really well, only essendon would know know how storng their ruck depth is and any concern at all and they would have picked another ruck. Remember they know more than any of us. A reason why Bolger may have not been drafted by anyone.

If you care to look at how Geelong, Hawks and Saints all top sides for many years now have gone about rucks than dont look too far past Orren Stephenson, Adam Pattison, Michael Gardiner, Steven King, Broc McCaualy. When your in the frame and need ruck "DEPTH" than you can quickly get it when you want.

Hooker has done back up ruck work in the past and maybe essendon see him doing this role, he also used to be a forward so maybe could suit that 3rd tall forward/ruck combo Leigh brown style well.

Hille is also apparently training really well, he always tends to do a good preseason, start the year off well than gradually fade but maybe the PS the coaches have seen has given them confidence he could be around for a few more years yet.

2012 rucks - plenty
2013 Rucks (TBELL, Ryder, Hille, Hooker, Joe D) - plenty even if Hille retires and even than we have another year to draft another ruck in.

No worth while rucks in WAFL not too sure about the VFL, SANFL ect but the dons certainly didnt think so, so no point as already said picking a ruck just for the sake of it, so you can say "we have 4 rucks". If there is no one good, than i dont want to see anyone picked.

Also something i havnt seen mentioned (touch wood) but our rucks are pretty durable especially our top 2 Ryder and T Bell.

Despite only having three on the list, the club is in the fairly rare position that all could competently hold down first ruck. In recent years I can only think of a handful of clubs having that much real depth - Carlton before they traded Jacobs, Freo this year, and Geelong when they had three passable backups for Ottens.

I don't know how Campbell could have gone earlier than expected.

Grant & Co have already pulled the rug out from under us once. I don't think anyone who saw Campbell play last season saw anything less than a player who demanded a rookie pick (especially after Hird said we needed the extra ruckman).

I'm not going to say that it is Dodoro's fault and that he should be sacked but it would seem that we really screwed that call up.

Campbell was ready made AFL fodder (which is sometimes all that you need) in the event that something happened to Hille, Ryder or Bellchambers. With a season or two under is belt who knows what he could do.

By the way, I haven't heard anyone at the club mention Joe Daniher so a few of you needn't get too excited. It is purely posters out smarting themselves. We are not hanging our rucking hopes on an injury prone 17 year old centre half forward.

I don't know how Campbell could have gone earlier than expected.

Grant & Co have already pulled the rug out from under us once. I don't think anyone who saw Campbell play last season saw anything less than a player who demanded a rookie pick (especially after Hird said we needed the extra ruckman).

I'm not going to say that it is Dodoro's fault and that he should be sacked but it would seem that we really screwed that call up.

Campbell was ready made AFL fodder (which is sometimes all that you need) in the event that something happened to Hille, Ryder or Bellchambers. With a season or two under is belt who knows what he could do.

By the way, I haven't heard anyone at the club mention Joe Daniher so a few of you needn't get too excited. It is purely posters out smarting themselves. We are not hanging our rucking hopes on an injury prone 17 year old centre half forward.

Everything Hird and Essendon have said of late, the result has basically been the opposite.

All over Atley - Heppell
Not targeting anyone in trade week - Caddy (oh and hes homesick but only wants to go to us :p)
Valenti lock him in - Lee
Duscher and Little - no show
We need a ruck this year - nope not one (not even Bolger who was right their for the taking the whole way through).

No one is pinning the hopes on Joe D in 2013, he will be our 5th ruck option "DEPTH" at best. If Ryder, Tbell, Hille, Hooker and whoever else we pick up next year fall over than he will be rucking in the middle.

Fairly happy with the rookie draft - Covered most bases - I am one who is happy EFC didn't draft a ruck - Think we can get by with 3 and pinch hitters - Would have taken Campbell with the second or third rookie draft pick - but not to be.

Chuckled when reading Dodoro's quote ' being mindful about having ready made rookies to step into the seniors in the case of injury '. Suggestion was that this is the reason they chose mature age rookies - It is probably case of choosing the wrong rookies as opposed to being age related.

The concern is a real one because we all now what the main problem this club has - and that is cover for injuries and poor form.

Throwing a hypothetical in there (and based on what has happened in the past). Say 2 of the 3 ruckmen go down. Can happen and has happened. What has the club got left? 1 genuine ruck at best and a lot of bit-part players.

By not recruiting one for the upcoming season, there will be a lot of responsibility fall on Madden's shoulders as ruck coach.

He is going to need to develop a number of our Key Position players as back-up ruckmen, should the need arise that they are called upon.

Does anyone here really think the likes of Gumbleton, Carlisle and Hooker, to name 3, are ready to take the steps necessary to provide back-up to Hille, Ryder and Bellchambers? Do we really need to remind ourselves of the 2009 finals debacle where Lovett-Murray and Quinn were our first choice rucks?

And the whole idea of waiting until Joe Daniher arrives in 12 months time is a joke too. He is another Key Position player and not a ruck - he would have to be trained to play in that role too. Throw in the likelihood of Hille retiring at the end of 2012 and we'll be in at best the same position as we are now.

In a list of 44 players - 38 seniors and 6 rookies, only having 3 ruckmen puts us at a distinct disadvantage to the sides we are competing with as a finals side.

Actually Pazza you probably do need to remind yourself of that game. Essendon had TBell ready and raring to go, but chose not to play him. This really should highlight to you the pointlessness of having a player on our list as cover if the coaching staff consider him not capable of playing AFL this year.

As far as long term development ruck clearly the club have Daniher in mind. So essentially we have 3 ready to go rucks, one of them coming to the end of their career, and a young developing ruck in Daniher. I'm sure that the club will put as much work into Daniher this year as the Dogs put into Little Libba and Wallis the year before they were drafted.

In the end if all three rucks go down then there most likely is a large injury curse going through the club and we'll be stuffed for the season anyhow. If we're very unlucky and two of them get injured we can have the remaining guy play 75% of the game on the ball giving some KPP three minute spells on the ball two or three times a quarter.

Would of swapped Baguley for a ruckman. Pretty sure he was number 7 at Frankston and if this is the case i dont think he's any better than Slattery. Joe Daniher is gonna take another 3 years minimum to get a build to play AFL let alone play ruck, by then Hille will be long gone. If we have no interest in the kids like Brown from Tas. then just get a mature ager who can at least play the year at Bendigo for another club to poach later on. Unless they can recruit a decent ruck for the VFL team I fear for a domino effect in regard to the on-ballers playing there or the kids that will get thrown to the wolves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not fussed over the ruck - it was a bad year for rucks in both drafts, and there is no point reaching for a guy they dont want.

The fact that there werent all that many rucks to go around, and we came out publicly stating we wanted a ruck, tells me it was just a throw away line or an effort to cover what we were doing elsewhere late in the draft/rookie draft - we probably did this with Valenti as well.

If we really wanted a ruck, why would we state it? Did we ever state we were after a fast, wippet-like character from Nth Ballarat?

I kinda reckon we went down this path with assistants too. They spoke up Brendan every chance they had, which is fine he is no doubt a great assistant coach, but there was probably more to it than that - ie protecting and taking the focus off Goodwin who apparently is a gem down there with the young mids.

Overall, whilst I have hardly seen any of these picks, the types seem pretty much perfect. Very happy we have got a mature, state level proven small forward who can put pressure on Davey and the likes straight away.

Again on rucks - seriously, tell me where any club would be if their first 3 rucks went down?

Most would be at a poitn where the guys left are either KP players, or are young rucks who wouldnt be thrown the wolves in any case - bit like we did with Bellchambers in that final. Collingwood will start near flag favs and are stuffed with one ruck injury.

If you have 4 rucks who are AFL capable, like say Carlton had 2 years ago, there is unrest and at least one will work. Arguably they lost their best pure ruckman of the 4.

Everything Hird and Essendon have said of late, the result has basically been the opposite.

All over Atley - Heppell

Not targeting anyone in trade week - Caddy (oh and hes homesick but only wants to go to us )

Valenti lock him in - Lee

Duscher and Little - no show

We need a ruck this year - nope not one (not even Bolger who was right their for the taking the whole way through).

No one is pinning the hopes on Joe D in 2013, he will be our 5th ruck option "DEPTH" at best. If Ryder, Tbell, Hille, Hooker and whoever else we pick up next year fall over than he will be rucking in the middle.

I don't know how we couldn't be interested in picking up a ruck. I'm starting to think that the club expects Hille to play in 2013 (which going on his mobility in 2011 is a bit of a long shot).

We are more than likely going to be trading for a player or drafting someone else from a second tier comp. Is there anyone of note left? Just because Hird is in charge doesn't mean that we don't get greedy and don't screw up. This to me looks like a screw up.

As for the cloke and dagger, we are smarter than everyone attitude:

It is quite clear that no one expected Heppel to be available when we had our first pick. Atley, on the other hand, was (and remains) regarded as a jet with a horrible kick and was always more likely to be available. If, by some miracle, David Swallow was available we'd still be trying to figure out who Heppel is.

We didn't say that we wouldn't trade during trade week. We distinguished it by saying that we wouldn't go for a big name type and that we prefer to grow our own. By not targeting anyone we were giving ourselves the chance to get a deal done. As far as I'm concerned using a high pick to take 2 game, first year player with immense talent is essentially "growing your own". By doing the deal we remove ourselves from the gamble of the draft to sacrifice 1 year in age, it is a no brainer and fits in with out policy.

I don't know about the other VFL players mentioned. While I haven't been following the footy too closely since trade week, I've not heard any guarantees about the guys mentioned.

We could of taken Nick Ryan for free on top of our 6 picks.
Could have developed as a KPF at Bendigo, and come into the seniors if we needed a ruckman.

Nick Ryan is at least as much of a development project as any of the other 18yo prospects we didn't rate enough to draft.

Not remotely ready for seniors based on what I've seen. Played as a kpf most of the year anyway.

I'm sure if there was a decent ruck man available we would have had a go, but there wasn't so we didn't.

Seriously we have a good ruck department compared to the league and what is the point of picking some bean pole 17 year old ruck prospect?? Hooker/Fletcher/Gumby/Hurley could all probably pinch hit better IF required.

Just because they have the tag "Ruck" on their draft profile, doesn't mean they actually can play in the AFL.

Is this talk that McCartney/Grant took Campbell from us guess work, or do people actually know that we were going to draft him?

A bit of both.

Most people who watched Bendigo this year were impressed with how Campbell played - not least of all his senior coach in Grant.

It is possibly coincidence, but, conceivably not that in both the ND and the RD, Grant has played a role in getting Dickson and Campbell across to the Kennel. Throw in what information McCartney would have had on both and not hard to read between the lines on it.

A bit of both.

Most people who watched Bendigo this year were impressed with how Campbell played - not least of all his senior coach in Grant.

It is possibly coincidence, but, conceivably not that in both the ND and the RD, Grant has played a role in getting Dickson and Campbell across to the Kennel. Throw in what information McCartney would have had on both and not hard to read between the lines on it.

In other words you, and the rest of us are guessing. In all likelihood, we're spot-on, but it's still an educated guess. Most of us will never know for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back