• Really bad fail

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rating trade periods is over-rated.

Until this year, Port Adelaide won the trade period every year since Ryder/Monfries. Whole lotta good it did them.

While it is nice to pick up gun players, it doesn't win premierships. Dangerfield/Ablett show that.

It would have been nice to get more for Greenwood and Keath. But at the end of the day, we got on with it and are ready for the draft.

Much better than completely shitting the bed like Essendon and Carlton. Carlton might get lucky in the PSD, but they didn't get the job done.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Until this year, Port Adelaide won the trade period every year since Ryder/Monfries. Whole lotta good it did them.
Everybody always used to fap over Essendon's ability to bring in high profile players, and they still suck too.

didn’t the afl make a rule a year or two backsoftening the cap/floor to be a 2 year average or something?
Going well under this year gives us a warchest next year where we can potentially bring in Grundy AND somebody else with frontloaded contracts, in turn giving us space (because in later years we can underpay them) for another stud in a few years time?

Is the rebuild completed by next year?

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
We got rid of the cancer and leakers in our club
Hopefully.

If I we're Matthew Nicks though, I'd have the players on a short leash. If he gets so much as a whiff of player dissent still remaining, he needs to get rid of those affected players asap. It's all well and good to speak positively to the media about rejuvenating the culture, but in private he needs to be able to be brutal if the need arises.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
We lost our best ruckman, our best small forward, our best intercept defender, and our two best contested mids, one of whom was also our best contested forward. In return for how many first and second round picks?

And don't give me that "they could have walked" BS. A list manager is supposed to plan for this stuff not look around in draft week and go - oh well I guess we better get what we can for them.
No we didn't

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
We lost our best ruckman, our best small forward, our best intercept defender, and our two best contested mids, one of whom was also our best contested forward. In return for how many first and second round picks?

And don't give me that "they could have walked" BS. A list manager is supposed to plan for this stuff not look around in draft week and go - oh well I guess we better get what we can for them.
Where did ROB, Doedee, Sloane and Matt Crouch go?

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Last years was probably worse.

Had a ton of currency, let Port outmanoeuvre us and steal some absolute guns from right under our nose.

Two pathetic years in a row - but what do you expect from a Club with no clear strategy or plan, and a shithouse, lame Duck executive?
The trade period made out strategy absolutely clear.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
The club as a whole has paid the price for some poor decisions over the last two years. This trade period was much like the review, about cleaning up the complete mess we've made with our overcooked list. That unfortunately removed a lot of leverage we had when it came to negotiating trades, we had to pay some salary and take slightly unders on picks in places, but we couldn't let that stop what was best for the long-term health of the list. We drew the line on some contracts for players we normally probably would have given the big tick too previously, which would have just sent this problem off repeating in a few years time again.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

Hogwash.

Keath is the only real loss because it means Hartigan gets games but 4 years on good coin Ummmmm....Understandable we did not meet his demands given the list refresh process we have decided.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Watching the flock attack SydCrow is so AFC supporter circa 2008, 2011, 2016..

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

While it is nice to pick up gun players, it doesn't win premierships. Dangerfield/Ablett show that.

It would have been nice to get more for Greenwood and Keath. But at the end of the day, we got on with it and are ready for the draft.

Much better than completely shitting the bed like Essendon and Carlton. Carlton might get lucky in the PSD, but they didn't get the job done.

Yep. For the last 3-5 years pretty sure Carlton, until this year, got an A+ rating for their trade periods. Weird thing is, they were rated as the worst ranked club this year, but are almost certainly going to have a better year than any of their last 4-5 seasons.

Long story short. Journalists have next to no idea what next year holds, much like the rest of us. Honestly, I can see us finishing anywhere form top four to bottom four next year, and I won’t be surprised by either outcome.

I dunno....I am not sure what people have been watching the last couple seasons to think we are getting fleeced this past trade period.

Not a one of the guys that is gone this past period is anyone to lose sleep over. Probably lucky we got anything more than a bag of footys.

Apr 20, 2004
Regional VIC
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Definitely feels to me that we've lost out in both the Keath and Greenwood trades. Struggling to understand why we'd be paying any of Betts / JJ's salary -though I was OK with both going (Betts was never going to be part of a flag-winning outfit although he brought many more fans through the gates and JJ, whilst useful at times, is a bit of a troublemaker in terms of his media interests). OK with CEY moving on (would've preferred to keep Greenwood, given this scenario), and Sauce was entitled to move on too. All in all, I think we're going to be struggling to be much more than bottom four next year with the current look of the list - and any picks we do get will be a few years away from having an impact. To my mind, we have too many inconsistent players, such as Seedsman, Gibbs, Atkins (who should all be shown the door after 2020) and even Smith and Lynch to some extent.

Given the way we fell off the cliff in the second half of this year, I suspect there was more than just form issues, maybe those moving on simply had had enough and were moving on anyway, so we were glad to see them off. It'll be interesting to see how many really perform at their new clubs.

I dunno....I am not sure what people have been watching the last couple seasons to think we are getting fleeced this past trade period.

Not a one of the guys that is gone this past period is anyone to lose sleep over. Probably lucky we got anything more than a bag of footys.

Nah, that's not true. Keath was very good at times this year, and was getting hype for the All Australian team before he fell off a cliff. CEY had a very strong year, including a stand out performance against the Eagles. Greenwood is a quality player, who excels at contested football including marking.

These aren't valueless players.

Nah, that's not true. Keath was very good at times this year, and was getting hype for the All Australian team before he fell off a cliff. CEY had a very strong year, including a stand out performance against the Eagles. Greenwood is a quality player, who excels at contested football including marking.

These aren't valueless players.

They aren't All Australians either....no way you are getting a first rounder for any of them. Not even close.

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

The crime is that it came to that. Even taking into account our recent 'window' we still seem to be 'culturally' asleep at the wheel.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
They aren't All Australians either....no way you are getting a first rounder for any of them. Not even close.
That’s a bogus comeback though isn’t it?

The only time a first rounder has been mentioned was Keath & 23 for 13.

We didn’t even get a second rounder for Keath or Greenwood.

Look, if you're going to make assertions at least try to defend them for one post before shifting the goal posts.

Nothing to lose sleep over and worth less than a bag off footballs was your standard.

The crime is that it came to that. Even taking into account our recent 'window' we still seem to be 'culturally' asleep at the wheel.

I am not in the locker room or at the training facility...so I have no basis to say anything regarding our culture.

However, from the (very far) outside looking in, we lost guys that are well past their prime in Sauce and Eddy and guys that either never achieved what was first thought they might and/or never really showed anything that made you think---he is a piece for where we want to go.

We can all agree we needed to clean out the locker room....and I think that is what is going on right now. Let's face it, we are not a Finals team next season.

That’s a bogus comeback though isn’t it?

The only time a first rounder has been mentioned was Keath & 23 for 13.

We didn’t even get a second rounder for Keath or Greenwood.

I am just trying to say, I think there is a real tendency to overvalue players on a given roster for teams we barrack. (We all do it) If I took a dispassionate view of our roster from the last two seasons....there are no bidding wars for these guys services.

Back