Does anyone know how many That Was The Season That Was specials there were?

Remove this Banner Ad

GetAroundHim99

The World's Biggest Overreactor!
Apr 29, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Melbourne Storm, McLaren
I'm mostly wondering because I wasn't really around when they were made (I started watching full-time in 2005.) and I believe that they were made from 1978-2002?

I also have two other questions.

1. Why did they stop making them? (It would make sense if they finished in 2001 because Seven lost the rights but if they made an edition for 2002 without Seven, Why not 2003?)

2. Why haven't they been released in DVD volume boxsets?

Last edited:
I'm mostly wondering because I wasn't really around when they were made (I started watching full-time in 2005.) and I believe that they were made from 1978-2002?

1. Why did they stop making them? (It would make sense if they finished in 2001 because Seven lost the rights but if they made an edition for 2002 without Seven, Why not 2003?)

I have most of them. '78 was the first year from memory & there were gaps. I reckon increased tv coverage of all games and the 'Name a Game' video releases spelled an end to them.

I reckon increased tv coverage of all games and the 'Name a Game' video releases spelled an end to them.

I don't see the connection between. It was a season in review show with some brief highlights of all taped games, all done in less than 2 hours. Shame they are not around any more.

We live in a era now where watching footy on tv , we are used to a few live games a week.
However certainly doing the 1970's and 1980's live games were very rare. Was only the grand final or a game from SCG that started to have the odd game shown live. Replay Shows were the big thing back then like Seven's Big Replay for two hours every Saturday night after the news or The Winners I hour replay show on ABC. You might see the best quarter in full replayed on so called match of the day or they show you the best 20 or 30 minutes of a game and then about the same of a couple more games. So these type of review shows of the seasons tv coverage were quite popular back then. We are saturated with footy on Foxtel and free to air now that I think replay shows been removed from the diet.
Fox Footy Channel probably do something at end of season but last time I saw they tended to simply show full match replays during summer so there is no real full stop end to the season like there was of the season coverage back in 1980's. You probably had 3 to 4 hours worth of the footy combined on 7 and ABC back in early 1980's over the full weekend. So naturally you lapped up anything on offer if you loved your footy. So shows like these would have been something to watch the night or day after grand final to officially end channel 7 coverage of the season.

A few of them seem to be on youtube.
Maybe others can add more.
Here is 1982 I just started watching.

1980 one also just located.

Sure there are many more.

1978 is the oldest surviving one (as far as being public knowledge, anyway). The show itself certainly pre-dates this; for example I remember watching the 1976 installment on Seven prior to that year's Marathon. Man, the person responsible for obliterating HSV's footy archives should be tarred and feathered. :mad:

There was a program on 7 in 2008, called (I think) 'The Season's best' based on the annotations which had (incorrect) Goal of the year and Mark of the year highlights. I remember watching it the night it was on, but don't know weather or not they had done this previous years. Also I hope people are aware there are newspaper archives INCLUDING TV GUIDES available at your state library to double check these things.

There are also top 10 Clangers, Goals, and Big Hits of 2008 on that channel, but no footage of the actual show.

The writing under the 7 logo says "3 days until the grand final" so this would of been on September 24.

Last edited:

There are a heap of them been up loaded on you tube. Not sure on the exact years as ive only flicked through them but definitely worth a look & easily downloadable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a box set that I bought a couple of years ago that had 1978-1982 included. The 1979 one was the Sensational Seventies decade review that everyone should have seen a million times as a kid.

I've also got 1983-84, 1987, 1990-1999 & 2001-02. I think they stopped making them in the mid-80's and replaced with another season review show. I have two of them for 1987 & 1988 called "Season '87 - A Look Back".

If anyone has any that I'm missing PM me - particularly the 2000 one as the Demons had a good season making the GF and would love to get my hands on it (can't find it on YouTube).

There was a box set that I bought a couple of years ago that had 1978-1982 included. The 1979 one was the Sensational Seventies decade review that everyone should have seen a million times as a kid.

I've also got 1983-84, 1987, 1990-1999 & 2001-02. I think they stopped making them in the mid-80's and replaced with another season review show. I have two of them for 1987 & 1988 called "Season '87 - A Look Back".

If anyone has any that I'm missing PM me - particularly the 2000 one as the Demons had a good season making the GF and would love to get my hands on it (can't find it on YouTube).
I have the 2000 on VHS...malcom blight and Paul salmon were the hosts

Yea just checked. Fox footy produced them. Haven't seen the 2000 version floating around a lot. Pretty keen to get ahold of a copy
I have a recording from the time of it. Costa Sports and other people are starting to get all of them up slowly. Any chance that you can get the 2003 and 2004 editions onto YouTube?

I still have a VHS copy somewhere of the 1987 version that AFV released back in the day - it's different to the one on YouTube and is narrated by Stephen Phillips. It's pretty shoddy - for some reason they show no footage of either of Melbourne's finals wins!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back